Sketchbook: BLARGHHH. - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BLARGHHH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you've made some amazing progress since you started this!

I agree with the previous comments, you should definitely do some anatomy studies, it'll really help you out. have a look at books by andrew loomis (out of print, get it online), bridgman, or hogarth. They also deal a lot with volumes, i.e. constructing your drawings properly out of 3d shapes rather than tracing outlines. it helped me heaps

I'm not sure I'd get into PS so early, for two reasons:
    1 - it has an undo button. that thing is EVIL! traditional media are a lot less forgiving and help you learn from your mistakes rather than just undo them without consequences
    2 - it has colour. at this point i reckon it's important for you to get your foundations right - proportions, shapes, volumes, silhouettes, line quality, value. once you got those down, jump back into PS and you'll find it much easier

that's what my mentor told me when I started drawing, and it worked. so I thought I'd pass it on

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonDuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress! I think it's good you're gonna be using ref to fix up those legs, and keep working on anatomy studies.

Something I feel with your last post, that's making it a bit weak, is that it seems you're trying to do too many things at once. What I mean is, you're working hard on getting the values right, the drawing, and colour... I think it may be easier for you if you split it down into drawing, values and then colour. So first get a good sketch down ( do a few if possible ), and try to make sure you have a solid drawing. Then add values to that ( using reference of a similar pose turned to grayscale often helps with this ) and try to get it down right. Then at the end when those two things are good, work on getting your colours down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks neon and sycra. Your tips and comments are invaluable. I'm so glad I started a sketchbook here. Ya are all so helpfull, I'd probably be lost if I was in the cold cruel world.

Atm I'm studying from hogarth, ron tiner and some other dude. I don't post everything because I really cbf'd most days. I have drawing and actual uni study afterall. >.>

Neon, point taken... atm I spend wayyyy too much time trying to figure things out on photoshop. If I spent that time sketching and studying, I would probably as you say, be better off. I shall postpone it.

Sycra thanks! Those steps make perfect sense. You really hit the nail on the head, I was trying to do too many things at once. It was messy fun but alas I didn't know what I was doing... kinda like a kid with paints. When I pick up photoshop again, I'll be sure to follow those steps. ^.^

Tbh though, I just sorta wanted something "finished" for an avvy. I'm getting sick of the jumping cat hehe.

Oh and mah photographer roomie came in and realised that my screen contrast etc was outta whack. Doh! Luckily he fixed it for me. Hopefully these sketches are now easier to see. Hopefully....... 0.o

I figured I should upload some of the things I haven't been uploading... an example of a construction study and gestures.

Name:  TodStudies.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  48.3 KB

I just noticed the lower line is out of whack.. opps.
    Name:  TodConstruction.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  33.5 KB

I'll do two sheets of these a day but don't upload them. :3
    Name:  todaygesture.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  36.5 KB

My first attempt at a self-portrait which doesn't really look like me. I stopped when the nose and eye were looking funky. I thought I should put it here for history lol
    Name:  TodPortrait1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  29.0 KB

Then some random ppl from a movie.

Name:  TodMovieStill.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  33.3 KB

Thanks again.

Last edited by Prion; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arvo Dump.

Pelicanssss

Name:  Pelican.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  31.3 KB

Trying to exagurate values to get a better understanding. I dunno why the lead showed up so dark, it doesn't look that dark inrl.

Name:  peliExagurated.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  17.1 KB

When art gives you lemons......... draw one!

Name:  citrusfish.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  22.2 KB

Lemonfish is not amused...

"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dobermans.

Name:  dob.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  92.6 KB

Steve suggested I draw..... "bacardiman" So I did. Nothing serious ;D

Name:  bac.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  55.3 KB

The lines are pissing me off though. q.q I will post "actual" studies tomorrow.

Last edited by Prion; May 4th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surprise assignments are NOT COOL. >:/

Anyways I've finally finished the evil psyc assignment. Not many scribbles so far today, just a mind/ref scribble. The studies I just did are embarrasing, probably cause I haven't drawn for a while. I don't think I'll upload them. ^.^" Anyways I figured I should post so here's this thing.

Name:  Stuff2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  35.0 KB

Haha and this is what I did when I got home after my assignment. I used "bar" money to buy paints. I know I should work on fundamentals etc but tbh I've been dying to go back to my childhood and mess with paints. (I found a discount art store, this stuff cost like $13aud. They also had a dummy but it was 15... next time I'll buy it.) I pumped some john butler trio and got to it. It's unfinished like everything rofl. Yes, the fish is floating in the sky... My pooor abandoned
    textbooks/floor. It's been defaced. yay. Oh and I'm thinking of having a fish comming out of the trees.... but first I need to study
    Name:  Stuff.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  56.2 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 5th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a selection of some quick studies at uni and some brain farts/studies today... I need to get choofing again. I think it's time to stay up later. Otherwise I'll go backwards. q.q Anyways, I decided to post everyday so here we go.

Can't find my camera, decided to use my phone. Failz >.>

Name:  Moar.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  37.8 KB
    Name:  Moar2Quick.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  25.4 KB

The bottom two are quick line studies, the top one is my attempt at a figure doing a weird pose............... fail >.<

Name:  Moar3.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  19.8 KB

Note to self: I'm going to promise myself to stay up later in order to do more studies. I need to. *kicks self into action*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't why but I feel as if I'm getting worse. lol. Maybe it's because I'm trying new things? Either that or I'm finding it hard to concentrate on art and uni. I honestly dunno. Anyways here are some of my shotty studies.

Name:  ss4.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.1 KB

I did these multiple times in an attempt to understand the process but I still can't get them right. The wedge and mass figure from bridgman makes sense to me but for some reason my masses look funky. I guess it's hand-eye co-ordination, lines etc -_-" I will eventually get this hominoid beast right mind you.

Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  26.1 KB
    Name:  ss2.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  ss3.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  shittystudies.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  37.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I think it is the fact that you are learning new stuff which your not as good as maybe another method. Where are you learning that stuff that is in the last post? I've never seen it before, look kinda cool lol. The bottle guy in the 4th to last post looks pretty sweet. Nothing really for me to crit on. Just keep doing what your doing. Maybe some more still life and keep looking at what your drawing. May the gods bless your pencil (lol...what.. )

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studying of the monsters is so intresting.
    The pencil, but yet the digital picture are very charmed.
    great!

[url]www.flickr.com/andreaalemanno[/url]

MY THREAD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lepracauno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah) You`re insane, man! Keep it in! )

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chr. Steam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

remind me it is all about the journey, right?!!!

Hey glad to see you are trying new things out. One of the many things not to forget being an artist is learning to live with the idea it takes a gazillion studies to get it right.

I do not see you getting worse. I think you are really working toward improvement. I see you are working on Bridgman anatomy..the images remind of the Life Studies book..I might join you as you are drawing the anatomy studies.

I also have discovered more about PhotoShop. I really had no idea PS had so many possibilities.

You are very creative in thought processes I think. looking forward to see how you develop

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sombertwin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see you're doing more animal studies...That will help with your monsters.The anatomy is coming along, especially in the area of construction. My only suggestion is to work on some more life studies. Still lifes,(*Yuck*) , though boring are a good way to practice seeing (seeing is drawing!) Keep up the good stuff!
    ~Zombifried
    zombifried's sketchbook

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even though I've been sketching every day I didn't have the time to post. So here are some things...

Name:  newdude.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  20.1 KB
    Name:  dudestudies.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  dudechick.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  dude.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  DudePimpMyCat.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  99.0 KB
    Name:  DudeQuickSL2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  18.6 KB

I decided that the fillaments inside the lightbulb looked like a snail.. then I realised that a snail could use it as a spaceship. Lol.... I get distracted too easily. Anyways that's the story behind the stillife. Hehe, I had to photoshop this lil fellow. I messed around with some things.

Name:  DudeQuickSL.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  dudesammy.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  21.3 KB

Ty leprachano and chr.steam. ^.^

Sombertwin, you're right. I shouldn't get like that but I'm sure you're well aware of the monthly moody things us women face. -.-" To much information probably but meh I'm looking forwards to seeing your studies. Viewing other people's studies helps me for some reason.

Zombifried yah, I tried some today. I can understand how they can help.. seeing things in rl 3d is very different to photographs. I believe I have learnt a lot about light from them too. Ty

Last edited by Prion; May 10th, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bridgman is the way to go. just keep practicing. There is already an improvement and it clearly shows you understand a form. Now you only need to stick up with it. Draw, draw, draw...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks promising Just keep doing this and I think youll notice improvement in no time.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

26. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Messy Post is Messy

Thanks Krel and Ivan for the encouragement. Things like that mean a lot.

Been busy with uni but managed to fit some things in. I'm kinda addicted now. I really have to get over my fear of drawing on the bus and on the sidewalk etc lol. I think it'd help me.

Attempt at a stilllife of a skull I picked up a while back. Upon looking back at it, I've noticed that the front end isn't in perspective and its sorta flat. >.>

Here's a dodge real pic of it.
    Name:  skullthing.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  42.3 KB
    anddd...
    Name:  Today1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  36.8 KB

I kinda blended studies with imagination.. 0.o

Name:  Today2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  today4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  17.2 KB

I kinda like this dude, even though his rather flat and unbalanced. He also reminds me of something I've seen before, probs from a game lol. I shouldnt zoom with my camera..

Name:  TOday3.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB

Horse gestures for lols

Name:  Today5.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  41.2 KB

Anyways time to go back to "real" study. -_-"

Last edited by Prion; May 15th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep studying anatomy and I'm sure you creature design skills will improve a lot. Also use references to help you.
    Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dude

I am lovin' the combination of your Bridgeman studies with your imagination. The practice of your studies in combination with your imagination is one great way to remember shape, form and mass. One thing though do not forget to use at least 3 to 5 values. I keep forgetting myself.

Value adds dimension, structure and keeps the piece from looking flat.

now a little about FEAR.....

It has always been interesting to watch people disable their own minds, alter their behavior and cripple their gifts in the name of FEAR.

Fear is healthy in some respects, but not when it comes to allowing people to see your imperfections in the soul of a sketch book. As long as you are drawing their will be folks who just do not get it. Being an artist takes loads and loads and more loads of practice. Even after you get one aspect of the craft you are still learning. Being ok with your mistakes, taking advantage of learning from those mistakes is what lends itself to progress.

So if folks are looking at you sketching..just say...i am learning and just getting it....you will get a nod...or nothing or some chump ...but none of that matters...because the joy is in the journey. We all have something mighty precious...one of the precious things we have is the ability to express. think about it.... a mind that is able to create....kewl right?!!!!

oh which Bridgeman book are you using?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jorge. Encouragement is awesome. It honestly means heaps to a noob like me.

Sombertwin, I swear you are awesome.I must do some proper value studies asap. As for the fear thing, you're so right. I'm holding myself back. :] Atm, I'm going throught Bridgmans - Complete drawing from life. I'll try to find the pdf link for you later if you want.

Study is really holding me back atm. I've been drawing when I have small gaps in time but haven't the time to post. All I've wanted to do is draw recently, I've got some sort of bug. I even drempt about it.... Argghhh what is this?!?!

Anyways I'm finding that drawing off photos is significantly easier than in rl, so I'm trying to focus on still lives etc for now. Enough talk, heres some pages of recent stuff.

Edit: Sorry if the attached images are too big, I'm using another program. I'll try to shrink em later.

Quick Dog studies
    Name:  CrazDogStudies.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Skull study attempt #2
    Name:  crazskullstudy.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  68.5 KB

Seahorse thing.
    Name:  Craz-seahorse.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  33.7 KB

Portraits. I might delay these untill I get up to heads in bridgmans. I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Name:  crazportrait.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  crazportrait2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  66.2 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 16th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! great work so far. I like your quote "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

But I would ask you is this : do you realise what great works you are actually capable of? Dare to believe in yourself. I think self belief comes from all the little successes along the way. If this is so, then you're on the road to freedom. This is one of life's lessons I've had to learn the hard way. I salute you. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks pudding. That cheered me up for the day, you rock! It took stress off my shoulders for a sec hehe. I know what you mean about little successes, they help make the journey seem less imposing. Ty. :3

I can't update because it's the end of semester rushhour and I don't really have the time to photograph/scan/save/resize things. I will post studies on the weekend or before the weekend if I'm lucky. I have not and will never stop sketching. Unless my arm falls off.

Since there are no images in this post, here's a picture of an awesome walrus.

BLARGHHH.

Last edited by Prion; May 19th, 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank YOU.

Thanx for peeking at my sketchbook. Your enthusiasm is really inspiring. Thanx!
    YOU lifted MY spirits.

Keep on drawing! (after uni study of course) he, he.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to magicpudding For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your nature studies are looking good. Keep practicing at human faces though, as your last couple appear skewed to one side.

Cheers, great work so far.

₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Zweit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice creatures man.........

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Gthm/death For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those Bridgman studies are really fun... I like your imagination and playfulness

Everything seems nice except the self portrait. You have a huge room for improvement and hopefully it will be fun! My favourite is the human head, I studied it a lot (I lack practice though. inner critic+fear did bad) and I still have a feeling I only have some vague idea about it... It's a damn hard topic and flaws are more apparent for us humans...

It will be nice to see your improvement and your SB usually makes me smile

40. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back Again

Yah, I can't stand faces. As interesting as they are, I just can't get them right. I better start doing more of them. I don't enjoy drawing them as much as I enjoy drawing animals etc. hehe.

Here's some select studies: I won't upload them all as per usual, that'd be silly.
    Name:  ns1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  50.8 KB
    Name:  ns2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  ns3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  ns4.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  23.8 KB

Here's one of the better attempts at a blind contour. Arghh is all I can say! >.<

Name:  Nsblindcontourcow.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  25.1 KB

Scary portrait thing is scary and needs more values!

Name:  nsPortraitthing.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.0 KB

Oh and here are some dodgey things from my head that I drew on the bus ^.^:

I wub dragons.
    Name:  nsheaddragon.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  nspendragon.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  34.2 KB
    Name:  nsbird.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  37.6 KB
    (Yes I know, it's the wrong there)

Thanks again for pushing me in the right direction and being honest. Every lil bit helps.

Last edited by Prion; May 24th, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your work mate, great progression!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow

Your Bridgeman studies are looking good. Plus your drawing skills are really progressing.

One thing I really want to emphasis...remember to start including the foundations to your drawings now. After reading many sb here at CA I find I am not the only one in pursuit of returning to the beginning and learning the basics. I had a horrible foundation instructor and did not realized how horrible until i had created really really really hard to break habits.

keep it up.

I had been absent because again I was laid out sick. But I still have been viewing just not commenting much. Next week I will start Bridgeman and other foundation studies to join you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ^.^ baby steps will hopefully lead me somewhere. I can't upload atm, time is precious. Shouldn't be on here tbh. Rest assured I am scribbling. Mainly portraits.. just to get my head around em.

Thanks so much, you ppl are awesome. :3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.