Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BLARGHHH.

Thanks

BLARGHHH.

WARNING: MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT.

Hi! Iím new to the art world... well.... Iím new to creating ďartĒ. Iíve always enjoyed viewing concept art and have occasionally scribbled in my note books but I havenít produced anything of value. Recently I decided to take a step forwards and chose to get over my fear of the pencil. Unfortunately itís been harder than I first envisaged. Overwhelmed is an understatement, after viewing gorgeous illustrations I tend to attack mine with ruthless criticism and then walk away......

As such Iíd like to make note: Giving up because I produce inferior sketches will not be tolerated. Just because I canít draw whatís in my mind doesnít mean I should give up! I will improve but I need to produce copious amounts of crap first. I really shouldnít be diving into the deep end (conceptart.org) but since the journals here have inspired me, I felt obliged to regurgitate my stuff here. *blargh* Iím also not very fond of the furries that seem so prevalent on DA.

Hopefully this thread will show improvements along my long path to producing "stuff". Thatís another thing; I donít know where I want to go with the stuff I produce. I honestly just want to create and represent ideas that pop into my head. I love the funky critters in my dreams.

Honestly, I have no idea wtf Iím doing. Iím so out of my league. All I know is that that Iím having awesome fun! MY TIME IN THE BACKSEAT IS OVER! GIVE ME THE FUCKING PENCIL!

Anyways enough rambling and procrastination. Evidently I'm fearfull of posting. If youíre still reading this I present to you some of my fledgling attempts:

Sorry about the love hearts. -.-' The chicks with the guns are from an awesome online game I used to play. Well... The literal hand-chainsaw concept anyways. They didn't have female skins though.

Name:  Argh2.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  24.4 KB
    Name:  CrocMouseVag.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  87.0 KB
    Name:  Sketches2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  CamelChick.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  46.3 KB
    Name:  DSC00190.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  DSC00195.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  stuff.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  26.3 KB
    Name:  Blub.JPG
Views: 616
Size:  87.5 KB

As you can see, I have a problem with finishing my scribbles, symmetry and quite simply all of the basic fundamentals. Iím looking to amend this by studying things that I tend to run away from rather than drawing from my imagination. I seriously need a good kick up the ass, I will not be lazy!

I canít believe I actually posted. -_-' I hope Iím heading in the right direction.

Oh and because I'm somewhat insane here's a message to the future me:
    If you haven't improved, you haven't studied enough. If you have improved, you better be laughing. ~ Your past self.

Last edited by Prion; April 30th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

I have trouble also completing a sketch

When I read your words i felt me talking. Like you I have taken the plunge to make public my efforts. There are a number of folks I have been following for years at CA and each one of them have just leaped forward. I am particularly fond of those who experiment good, bad and ugly and complete their ideas.

I lost the artist in me for over 25 years, so I am way older than most, but I am comfortable with the creative journey. My spiritual self is number one, art though is a passion.

I think your sketches are whimsical in a good way. After loads of reading art books, I am of the opinion getting to the gesture of a subject is important. I think technical is very much needed, but to keep the creative juices flowing I find gesture sketching is great.

I suggest though you might want to learn more about anatomy. Goodwill stores (any such outlet) have great toys that include horses and birds and stuff for observation. I learned here at CA that it does not matter what you observe in real time, it is the exercise of observation that counts. A duh moment for me....but a good way to learn how to draw.

Being an artist is a lifetime commitment to errors, erasers, mistakes, thousands of sketches on one subject with the aim of getting a work that satisfies you. You must love what you are doing, because it is a million hours alone with your canvas, your sketchbook, your work. The pay off just your own knowledge you are doing what you love and for a happy few selling their works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sombertwin View Post
    I think your sketches are whimsical in a good way. After loads of reading art books, I am of the opinion getting to the gesture of a subject is important. I think technical is very much needed, but to keep the creative juices flowing I find gesture sketching is great.
    I agree there sombertwin.

Sketching is a vital part of any art, keep doing it.

As for the quality, some of this stuff is quite good, particularly some of the creature concepts.

Maybe get involved in Creature of the Week (C.O.W)

My advice is to try getting in the basic shape first, it's just as quick, and helps bring the whole concept to a roughly finished stage very quickly.

Check out this video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNg4OMvXDUc

Keep going, practice is the only way to improve.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks

I had to post something...........

Hey, thanks for the kind comments. I'll take note.

@ Droid. Awesome vid. Unfortunately I don't have any digital-software. My roomies a photographer so I may be able to borrow photoshop from him. Oh and COW looks Freaking insane! I already have some ideas and will post them later.... I need to do some animal studies first and then refine my ideas. Even then, I doubt I should post in there lol. I'll see how I go. Seriously it looks just awesome, the creatures omggg so cool. Ppl here rock nuff said.

@sombertwin The dummies are a brilliant idea. Those lil wooden figures look adorable. When I get enough money I'll visit the art shop. I already have some animal models and skulls around my room so I'll use those for still life in the time being. (Who'd have thought being a nature freak would help me in art....)

I haven't scribbled much today as I've been trying to take in some tutorials on prospective, lines and just some other basic things. Here's page 1 of 4, can't be buggered resizing the others. Ya can't see em anyway because of the shitty light. btw, those arn't muscles on the fish thing just mass. Woooo matter, MATTERRRRRR everywhere! Or should I say mass. 0.o

Name:  shittylight.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  101.5 KB

As you can see, it's just me trying things out/experimenting.

Now I have to get back to my "real" studies.... the joys of being a student. lol. Luckily they include biochem, psychology and *drum roll* anatomy and physiology. Hehe, the later should help me, especially we get up to the muscluar system. *dances*

I wrote too much again. :X

Expect less words and more stuff tomorrow.............. Photoshop om nom nom

Last edited by Prion; April 10th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some times you can transform your laziness to a quality. If you don't like to spend hours on rendering with pencil, maybe you can use another medium (like digital coloring) to go faster. I say that because I'm for sure more lazy than you !

But your sketches are good, so continue updating.

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    I'm agree with Droid, those creature doodles are promising (I'm envious ), I'd love to see COW entries made by you in the future
    And no matter the quality of your doodles (not like it would be so bad), if you practice, that's a good start. I horribly lacked that vital part for years, even if it seems unbelievable. Your attitude seems to be okay too so you can't help it, you will improve.
    I'm rooting for you (and if you put clear humanoid drawings here, I do my best to take them apart *lovely innocent smile* I have an eye for anatomical flaws *shrugs*)

Thanks
    I really shouldnít be diving into the deep end (conceptart.org)
    Donít worry; you happened across a rubber ring and some armbands when you plunged in. What was the worst that could have happened? People ridicule you and laugh you off the site. Well some people, me included, like your creature drawings; pretty good going right.

I donít know if your problem is laziness. I mean, over all you do enough work to have finished a piece or two, but you donít, you move onto something else. It might be a bad thing or a good thing depending on how you look at it. Well, you could try to force yourself to finish one every now and again just to show yourself you can do it, or you could learn to draw so fast it will be done before you know what hits you.

Iím sure youíll improve and keep at it, even if you end up been ridiculed and laughed off the site. Then, if that happened, in a number of years you could come back and show us all

Thanks
    Wow, thanks guys.

I managed to get my hands on photoshop 5.0 ^_^ I LOVE IT!!!! I've been playing it for the good half of the arvo. Just trying to work out where the brushes are and things. Below are the results of some of my experiments:

Name:  studies.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  17.8 KB
    Name:  Shilloettes2.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  24.0 KB

I'm going to give cow a shot. The topic was harvestor and I immediately thought of 3 things, a collector like a bee, mutated axe man or a biological experiment designed to help with the harvesting of trees. (lol talk about a crazy mind...) I chose the later, gonna try to give it fur and scales etc, etc. woot, tis fun even though I HNFI where i'm going, I watched a couple of tute vids so at least im not in 100% in the dark, but its still trial and error. Lots of anatomical errors, it looks too friendly etc. Gotta try and fix things when I get time. Hopefully this week although I have exams comming up.

Name:  shilloettes.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  wipHarvester.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  32.2 KB

Gah, I need to study from life still.... my mind is a distraction >.> Oh well at least im learning to photoshop, albeit with trial and error. lol

@TheGeek, Thanks! I'm giving it a shot. I'll still stick to the good ol pencil and paper for the majority of the work though as I have to do everything on the computer with a mouse. >.> It's not that bad as I have okish control thanks to gaming but It's just not the same. :3

@shiNIN Thanks for the kind comment. If you haven't noticed, i've been putting off human anatomy because I know its so picky...... and tbh humans don't interest me as much as creatures. However I will try to conquor them as I believe human anatomy will transfer into all aspects of what of create. Form etc is something I have yet to fully get my head around. hehe.

@PurplePlatypus Thanks, I'm already noticing how friendly the people are here. Tis awesome! I guess we all have a common goal; to improve. I'm going to try to finish some work, time is the key.. too many exams this week.

Thanks
    Ok, update time. I've been busy with uni and that but I've been scribbling whenever I get free time Here's some pages from my sketch book. I acidently spilled water on one page q_q Oh welll........ I did some naked pics so the gigantic NSFW letters have a purpose. lol

Name:  sketches2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  Sketches.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  46.5 KB

Cow wips. It's one hell of a learning experience. I'm still trying to work out where to put color etc etc... I'm not happy with the legs and torso but I was itching to play around with photoshop again. :] Wooooo!

BLARGHHH.

Name:  HarvesterWIP.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  35.9 KB

Back to grinding my drawing level lol.

Thanks

staying active

I really do not have much to add...except...encouragement to keep sketching....seems like you like fantasy characters...I am a sci fi fan...but never consider drawing sci fi figures. hmmmm

I also like your sketchbook book composition. I had read that consideration for sketchbook composition is often overlooked. Sometimes...particularly for animation, concept artist, etc the sketchbook is a well travel recording of how the artist thinks.

Thanks
    Did some posemaniacs today, but I left my camera at my mates place. Doh! Posemaniacs are quite hard, I should've studied loomis first. >.> Oh well, Ill do that tomorrow, wooo for reverse logic!

@sombertwin Yah, I'm a sucker for creatures and non-human things, I couldn't help changing things on the figures... That's interesting about the sketchbook composition, I just do it for fun Maybe I should explore it further? Anyways thankyou again for the kind comments.

Thanks
    Phew, Mid semester exams are finally over. *collapses* Anyways, from now on I'm going to try to get something done everyday. Here's todays:

Did this whilst learning the musclular system in an anatomy lecture.

Name:  bob2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  65.3 KB

Decided to draw more ppl because I've been avoiding them.....

Name:  Bob1.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  61.8 KB
    Name:  bob3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  33.5 KB

I got pissed off at my noobyness and decided to express my fustration via an angry fish. I had heaps of fun with this one.

Name:  bob4.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  51.8 KB

and, I know I should've finished my cow.. but I honestly got sick of messing with it so I started something else. 'tis a mermaid concept:

I'm not happy with the colors etc but I learnt a couple of things in the process so that's the main point.

Name:  Mermaidwip.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  56.9 KB

Thanks for visitng and subjecting your eyes to my noobyness hehe.

Last edited by Prion; April 19th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks
    Just some random studies/creatures. If I'm studying the wrong way, pls feel free to prod me in the right direction.

Name:  Brian3.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  Brian2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  Brian1.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  47.2 KB

Garrrrrrrr I swear, if you change a line by 1cm or an angle by 1degree a whole face can be distorted. Lines are so touchy and don't compensate for errors. >.> I shall tame teh lines!

Name:  Brian4.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  37.0 KB

I musta done this a couple of weeks ago, twas in the front section of my sketchbook. Muscles etc are dodge but the thought's there lol.

Name:  Brian5.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  29.7 KB

Thanks for looking, Cheers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1