Thanks

Concept... Prose?

Hi guys, after reading this message board for for the past few weeks, I've really been impressed with the atmosphere of the place. It's professional, friendly, and really pushes other people to improve their art.

Sadly, I'm not much of an artist, so I focus on writing. My three big focuses are fantasy, crime drama, and historical fiction. A few years ago I even got a short historical fiction story published in an anthology, won some prize money, and that was great. But I look back on that story now and I'm a bit embarrassed by it. There are a few noticeable grammatical errors in it, and I think I could have been more subtle on some parts.

What I'd really like to do is connect with a community of writers that could push me to keep writing and advise me like what you guys do here. Are there any places you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Deegan; April 8th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Hi there. I've heard some good things about absolutewrite.com and critiquecircle.com, but I haven't been there myself so I don't know how they compare to ConceptArt. I only hang out at NaNoWriMo once a year.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    absolute write is a solid site.

Used to frequent when I was in "author" mode.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    absolutewrite forums.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Once you've gone to absoultewrite, feel free to post some of your stories here somewhere (maybe even make your own "sketchbook"?) and maybe let other users use your writings as a source of inspiration for drawings (which they might even be able to post in your SB too)...

Just an idea...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Once you've gone to absoultewrite, feel free to post some of your stories here somewhere (maybe even make your own "sketchbook"?) and maybe let other users use your writings as a source of inspiration for drawings (which they might even be able to post in your SB too)...

Just an idea...
    That sounds great! I'd love to share my stories here on a sketchbook and see what people think about or draw, but I'll check with an admin first so I don't step on any toes.

I signed up for circle critique and writer's circle, and they look to be up my alley! There's even a sub-forum for comic books, which is great! I've been working on my own comics for a long time, and have worked with a variety of talented artists.

I think what would be best for me right now though is to spend a month on my own grad work and improving my craft. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in online communities, when I could be doing more with my life. I'm sure some people here can relate!

But thanks for the advice, people. Best of luck to all of you.

Thanks
    There is a site I got where a lot of published and even some quite famous writers go. Fantastic atmosphere. I go there all the time

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pf...oks&redirCnt=1