I purposely do not finish my art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I purposely do not finish my art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I purposely do not finish my art

I begin with a vision. I may or may not come close to completing this, then I stop because I like the art better in theory than what my own hands could do. Is there something wrong with this and I should finish or should I keep leaving half-finished products?

This is only for recreation, but I would like to see one finished piece for once that I feel comfortable with (I completed actually one or two years ago).

Xeno's Sketchbook.
    Please take a look and comment
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You stop because if you never finish it you have the convenient excuse of "Oh, it's not finished, it would have been cool if I'd finished it.."

Nobody ever hits that vision in their head, unless they aimed low..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The point of developing your skills is EXACTLY to be able to execute your ideas AS CLEAR as they are in your mind, if your piece doesn`t make the idea justice and you feel it`s not well executed, you need to keep developing yourself; but abandoning the piece is lazy, you have to keep going AT LEAST until it`s a little better than the last one, that`s the way you progress, if you abandon it before, you will be stuck forever.

That`s the secret of developing oneself! :when you finish a piece, take a look at it and ask yourself: does it look better than the last one? if the answer is no... then keep working on it, and keep repeating the same question until the answer is at least a "definitely yes", then you`re on the right path!, just keep doing that with every piece and NEVER leave a piece until -it`s better than the last one-, this should be like a fucking commandment to you, and you will never be stuck.

Last edited by Chris Saksida; April 7th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That said, sometimes you are just trying to polish a turd.

I'm on my 3rd attempt at a painting that is just not working, probably never worked and it's going in the bin tomorrow.

I've given it a fair crack, time to wreck it and move on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks. I've had some crappy going nowhere pieces that I binned before. But I'm talking about the promising ones. I understand what you are saying Flake, perhaps I stop because I don't want to disappoint myself with it completed? But then again, it shouldn't be complete if I'm not satisfied with it is also your point.
    I think I'm figuring things out with the advice you two gave me .
    You've helped a lot more than you could imagine. <- added

Xeno's Sketchbook.
    Please take a look and comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should be cool that your ambitions are higher than your current skills.

You can practice moving your hands , opening your eyes and engaging yer brain daily to get better skills.

"WAX ON! WAX OFF!""

Last edited by Flake; April 7th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can only do your best. Just give it a go! If it turns out bad, there's always next time. Then the next etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ego preservation is a disease that's not particularly usefull if you want to imrove in art it's a problem because people tie being judged and their feelings of importance to how good or bad thier work is. Some people might avoid the obvious by just not producing what they have been learning to do. That's lying to yourself and avoiding facts like, it might need work etc. Instead we cultivate a fictive idea about "I can do it, if I wanted to". I have done that forever Well.. I don't believe that, anymore, prove it. I'm trying it and it's just not that easy, certain things need practice, but trying's not enough. You might get it eventually but at some point you have to "come out of the box" and stop wasting valluable time.

Join the challenge arena's or CHOW's or COW's, it's giving me a much needed "break" and reality check.

What you need is not a fake self image but something to work and improve on and some soft skills with handling reality as that's part of the deal.

It's a weekly facillity and I think it's there,... to be used.

I have already picke up some crap, the lounge is allways full of it. Stuff like.. I can't please everyone,... Yes but you have to learn to please someone, especially a client. Pretend the judges is the client.

You have to filter for people's crap or you might end up in "that box" of apples.

Stop being a BOX CRAWLER.

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Last edited by George Abraham; April 10th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good read here, i often feel that way sometimes, makes me hate myself for not wanting what i wanted to do in the first place. Its almost like a disease and it can spread into even your social life and other stuff. hope you take what these guys said into good consideration and thanks on your part for posting this, shows you have guts and have taken your first 2 steps into battling the problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also have a problem with not finishing my artwork (or anything else for that matter), and some recent self-analyzing and talking to other people (something else I rarely do) has led me to a new conclusion for why I don't finish pieces.

Apparently other people (most people?) seem to remember things/events/people visually. I do not. This started as a conversation with someone who said they had an odd dream - it wasn't in color. I was confused, as not only are my dreams not in color, they very rarely have any visual aspect at all. I might dream that I went to the corner store, and bought a Pepsi in a blue can, but I don't actually "see" the store or the can, its just thoughts, like reading a book, its information, details, I rarely visualize what I read in books. I also don't tend to visualize any memories, you say orange, and I don't picture an orange, but I'm beginning to think that many people do visualize most remembered things on a regular basis.

But at the same time, I can visualize. I just don't do it instinctively, or particularly well. I believe that the need to visualize is a major factor in my drawing or sketching. I have a concept, I want to "see" it, visualize it, but I have trouble forming a mental picture, so I begin to draw/sketch until I can "see" it clearly in my mind. Once I can, the sketch has achieved its purpose, I don't need to add any more information, so I stop.

I find that my memory of information, visual or not, is greatest when I write or draw it. It seems that using my hands is necessary for me to remember. I believe this is also the reason while I tend to touch things, objects, walls, shelves, as I move through places, I know subconsciously that tactile input is necessary for my memory. Which is why I can remember a floorplan of a building, without remembering what the place looks like. Unless I make a conscious effort, I don't remember visuals. (and even then I don't remember well)

Sorry to get off topic, just posting my recent opinion on why I have had the same problem with not finishing pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I looked at your sketchbook and I immediately knew why you don't finish your work. It's because you are starting wrong. So I think you shouldn't worry about "finishing". Just worry about starting. Once you have that shit under control, then you can stress the "finish".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Lyle View Post
    I find that my memory of information, visual or not, is greatest when I write or draw it. It seems that using my hands is necessary for me to remember. I believe this is also the reason while I tend to touch things, objects, walls, shelves, as I move through places, I know subconsciously that tactile input is necessary for my memory. Which is why I can remember a floorplan of a building, without remembering what the place looks like. Unless I make a conscious effort, I don't remember visuals. (and even then I don't remember well)
    Just a thought, but maybe you'd do well working in 3D? (If you aren't already...) My Dad is a very tactile thinker and he likes to do all his "sketches" in 3D...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been playing with 3D, but probably not in the way you mean. I've been playing with taking a photograph and making a stereo copy of it. (so when you look cross-eyed, its in 3D). I'm assuming that you mean some sort of modeling. I never had much luck with clay, but I have played at woodcarving. I don't recall finishing those either. I believe tactile involvement is necessary for me to develop ideas fully, but once I do visualize the concept, I lose interest; in my mind - its finished.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm assuming that you mean some sort of modeling. I never had much luck with clay, but I have played at woodcarving. I don't recall finishing those either. I believe tactile involvement is necessary for me to develop ideas fully, but once I do visualize the concept, I lose interest; in my mind - its finished.
    I was thinking maybe 3D software... but from what you say it sounds like it's a different problem entirely.

Maybe what you need is some really compelling reason to show what's in your mind to other people. Since the only way you can show what's in your head is by finishing something, maybe a strong desire to show what you're thinking would motivate you to finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ever give "Art and Fear" a quick read? Might be something you would be interested in Jon Lyle.

As for stopping at the idea...I don't think there is much that can help that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe what Leonardo da Vinci have said: " Art is never finished, only abandoned." As far as I know he hasn`t finished most of his works (including Mona Lisa), but remains the greatest of all. Picaso also says that perfect means dead. Can`t a picture really be continually improved and what does it mean to be completed?

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I purposely didn't read this thread. Sorry, carry on.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, I'm slightly different here. I don't finish work for a variety of reasons, the most common being 1. The picture bored me (if I don't finish a sketch in under thirty minutes I move on; I'm forcing it at that point and my forced work looks awful), 2. I don't have the skills to finish the picture (inking and coloring come to mind here), 3. I find finishing things to be terrifying and not worthy of my time (I'm known for getting to the climax of a video game but never finishing it).

It's been a bit of my bane, actually. I had thought I had improved in the past month or two but I've not. I've not regressed, but I've not gotten too much better. Oh well, tis life.

Perhaps you should start small? Try finishing a smaller piece before attempting anything grander? Even if it's something small, finishing something and doing it well is often a good way to start.

My Sketchbook-Deviant Art - Livejournal

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." - Buddhist Saying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely think you need to start small. Put down in text in detail your visions and save them for when you'll have the skill to create them and get close to what you intended to do. Until then set smaller manageable goals for yourself, but always aim high and always go back and review what you work on with a fresh eye and fix whatever bothers you. Otherwise if you jump into something that is too much you might not be happy with the result and that could lead to dissapointment and losing interest.

Also, breaking everything into small chunks and working one at a time is what keeps me out of boredom if I try to finish something, because I want to see something done as soon as possible.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.