Converting to CMYK from RGB
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Converting to CMYK from RGB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Converting to CMYK from RGB

I am doing a job where I'm supposed to produce something for print. I'm supposed to give them a .psd in CMYK colour settings, but the problem is that I am not comfortable working this way. I prefer working with RGB (not sure if it's weird but I do).

Anyway
    Do I get a big quality loss when changing from RGB to CMYK? If so, is there any way to reduce them?
    Is there any reason I shouldn't do my work in RGB and change to CMYK?

Grateful to any kind of help!

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most painter work in RGB mode and later convert it to CMYK when sending the files to the printer with the least amount of colour shifting as there is no perfect colour conversion unless you work within CMYK spectrum in RGB mode.

Since you need to give them in CMYK mode, try doing a colour proof in Photoshop (CTRL+Y or CMD+Y in Mac). The default settings should be CMYK proof which you can notice immediate changes if you use a lot of bright colours that is easily produce using addictive colour aka RGB since real life CMYK ink is substractive hence looking duller on monitor screen.

Perform necessary changes to ensure the amount the conversion is accurate as possible which your client approves.

TLDR
    There is nothing to stop you to work in RGB mode and later convert to CMYK provided you work within the colour spectrum range of CMYK so the conversion can be performed with the least amount of error.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gradients convert better to CMYK if they are in the sRGB color space, Adobe RGB doesn't give as good results with gradients but other colors convert better due to the higher color space, either way, stay away from the neon colors and you should be alright.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Working in rgb is preferable for several reasons (file size, monitor native space, the way many adjustments work). Set your proof setup to Working CMYK (View>Proof Setup>Working CMYK) and periodically check it (ctrl/command-Y), or even work with it turned on, to avoid any surprises when you convert the final file.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for your answers. I think I understand!

.hugs

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

Members who have read this thread: 2