Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    971
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts

    Concept Work - "The Human Condition" Graphic Novel (UPDATE 5/26 pg 2 character edits)

    Whats going down gang?
    I hope all you guys and gals are doing great!

    This probably belongs in the sketchbook section but these are "technically" finished as rough, first pass character and environment concepts/ideas/thumbnails.

    For reasons I can't quite talk about just yet ill soon be in the position to finally work on a graphic novel in my spare (lol) time and these are some of the first pass brainstorms and attempts to capture the personalities and feel of the characters I have in mind.
    Some of you may recognize the creature from my "Containment Breach Sub-Level 5" piece, which was really what opened this can of worms to begin with. As you can see he's gone through a few alterations already and I can assure you theres more to come.
    The environment piece was really for shits and giggles after I roughed out that x-ray piece and got inspired to flesh out the room it would be in.

    Crit if you must but keep in mind that these are very loose in execution and are ideally for my own reference stockpile when I go to do the actual work.

    I hope you guys dig the concepts!
    Im pretty excited about it sharing it w/you all from the get-go and to see where it all goes.
    Now, granted its probably not going to hold a candle to something like El Coro De Los Magnificos' TRANSIENT but I can at least give it a whirl, right? Ya gotta throw yourself to the wolves sometimes.

    As you may have already guessed it will be modern-day sci-fi/horror and will start out initially as a webcomic that will be available on my website (which has yet to be launched).

    You may have to view this in your browser at 75% to see the whole deal.

    Best wishes to you all and draw, draw, DRAW!
    God bless,
    -Brad

    EDIT: Re-Submitted Character sheet as higher quality but smaller in scale, also scrapped the emo kids altogether as sub-leads from the rouster and replaced with a creature concept.
    New sub-lead supporting characters coming soon.

    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Cryptcrawler; May 26th, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: character name
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  4. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 288 Times in 256 Posts
    Mr Rigney, I salute your craziness that you'd go for a graphic novel when your stuff is as polished as we all know it to be. These concepts look awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce, I'm sure it'll be a knock out.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:


  6. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,882
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 748 Posts
    SO AWESOME! I can't believe there are no comments. I know this is going to be a really solid comic. I especially like the x-ray.

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:


  8. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Talking

    Wow......!!!!!!! incredible art..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptcrawler View Post
    Whats going down gang?
    I hope all you guys and gals are doing great!

    This probably belongs in the sketchbook section but these are "technically" finished as rough, first pass character and environment concepts/ideas/thumbnails.

    For reasons I can't quite talk about just yet ill soon be in the position to finally work on a graphic novel in my spare (lol) time and these are some of the first pass brainstorms and attempts to capture the personalities and feel of the characters I have in mind.
    Some of you may recognize the creature from my "Containment Breach Sub-Level 5" piece, which was really what opened this can of worms to begin with. As you can see he's gone through a few alterations already and I can assure you theres more to come.
    The environment piece was really for shits and giggles after I roughed out that x-ray piece and got inspired to flesh out the room it would be in.

    Crit if you must but keep in mind that these are very loose in execution and are ideally for my own reference stockpile when I go to do the actual work.

    I hope you guys dig the concepts!
    Im pretty excited about it sharing it w/you all from the get-go and to see where it all goes.
    Now, granted its probably not going to hold a candle to something like El Coro De Los Magnificos' TRANSIENT but I can at least give it a whirl, right? Ya gotta throw yourself to the wolves sometimes.

    As you may have already guessed it will be modern-day sci-fi/horror and will start out initially as a webcomic that will be available on my website (which has yet to be launched).

    You may have to view this in your browser at 75% to see the whole deal.

    Best wishes to you all and draw, draw, DRAW!
    God bless,
    -Brad

    EDIT: The emo kid's name is supposed to be "Neil", not Niel. Man, im already batting a thousand with the spelling!


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to carlabrown78 For This Useful Post:


  10. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 885 Times in 593 Posts
    Your containment breach piece is one of my all-time favorite things ever. This is a great idea! Your x-ray is very convincing. Well done.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:


  12. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    568
    Thanked 374 Times in 165 Posts
    As a big fan of your art on CA, I can not but be looking forward to see the first pages. I am curios about your story telling style!!!! Will I see a new Corben??? Hope so!!!

    Ciao

    CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

    "As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:


  14. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    2,649
    Thanks
    2,373
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 643 Posts
    Wtf I love you?
    After that crimson dagger interview, you really inspired me, you mentioned some really great ideas. Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration

    Really looking forward to this graphic novel and what happens in it.

    Keep up the awesome work Brad
    Nebo

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:


  16. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Stellar work as always, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these sketches.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rynox For This Useful Post:


  18. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,190
    Thanks
    5,387
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Epic stuff, I particularly like "Subject Zero".

    Keep it up.




    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:


  20. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    840
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked 182 Times in 92 Posts
    Stuff's lookin great Brad - go man go.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:


  22. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bern
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    Really great to see you move on to higher levels... like from basment to penthouse? ;-D

    Keep up the good work!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to JanDegler For This Useful Post:


  24. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    971
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    Mr Rigney, I salute your craziness that you'd go for a graphic novel when your stuff is as polished as we all know it to be. These concepts look awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce, I'm sure it'll be a knock out.
    By all means call me Brad!
    Thanks very much for the support. Yeah its pretty much overly-ambitious but thats never stopped me before =).
    Im glad you like the concepts, im liking them more now after some changes.
    and more are coming soon!

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    SO AWESOME! I can't believe there are no comments. I know this is going to be a really solid comic. I especially like the x-ray.
    Im really not that surprised, there is so much explosive talent on these boards its easy to get lost in the shuffle. Besides, its good that there isnt that much feedback; its letting me know that maybe the content isnt all that compelling to garner the attention and that I should work harder to earn some more.
    Either way you win when you come here: you always learn something and move forward.

    Thanks for the comments!

    Quote Originally Posted by carlabrown78 View Post
    Wow......!!!!!!! incredible art..
    Hee hee, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    Your containment breach piece is one of my all-time favorite things ever. This is a great idea! Your x-ray is very convincing. Well done.
    Thanks Artfix!
    Im excited about the story and the characters. The creature is going to get some tune-ups and overhauls to give him more impact, right now he isnt as frightening as I want him to be.

    Thanks again for the support!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo13 View Post
    As a big fan of your art on CA, I can not but be looking forward to see the first pages. I am curios about your story telling style!!!! Will I see a new Corben??? Hope so!!!

    Ciao
    I wish!
    Im looking forward to the first few pages myself, but they arent going to land anytime soon, theres still plenty of characters to flesh out and do final renders of before I sit down and begin to tackle the enviroment and locations.
    Each panel is going to have the level of polish that appreciators of my work expect and that I demand, and thats just the way I like it.
    I naturally would love to have it done overnight but im going to take my time and sink my teeth into it, its about the art.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilnebo View Post
    Wtf I love you?
    After that crimson dagger interview, you really inspired me, you mentioned some really great ideas. Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration

    Really looking forward to this graphic novel and what happens in it.

    Keep up the awesome work Brad
    Nebo
    Many thanks Nebo!

    Im glad you liked the interview, I really had a blast on Dave's show and the people who showed to ask questions treated me like gold, I couldnt have asked for more.
    The inspiration works both ways, you give it to me, I hopefully produce something that will light the fire again!

    Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it means a lot you take the time!

    Best wishes,
    Brad

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:


  26. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Cryptcrawler! man I have to give you flowers every time i see your art ,you are my favourite artist of the year! and in my all-time top ten for sure!
    inspiring artist

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to A78 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook