matte painting tutorials

View testimonialsView Artwork

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

matte painting tutorials

Here is one matte painting i did long time ago. I thought some people want to see how you can create matte painting and maybe to clear some tings about it.

Let's start with "original plate"(term that most people use in movie/tv commercial industry for image that needs some correctures or complete redesign)

matte painting tutorials

Next one is additional image i have used to extend scene

matte painting tutorials

From now i have started "patching" and cleaning this images to fit, some color correction, sort out lens curvature, etc. Here is result

matte painting tutorials

Now i added some buildings in back and repaint some missing building parts

matte painting tutorials

In this step i added building in foreground, sky to get better atmosphere , sorted all electrical cables(witch was difficult part because i first needed to erase original ones that was covering buildings) and added rain just for fun

matte painting tutorials

And now fun part begins. Because i was chasing "28 days later"(movie) feel i wanted to see some demolished/abandoned buildings. First were streets

matte painting tutorials

Next i have "demolished" foreground buildings(take a look at left, right and middle buildings) and also added a bit of haze to background buildings for areal perspective

matte painting tutorials

Next was some elements like cars, lamp posts, small details that make this scene even more deserted.

matte painting tutorials

More details. I have sorted out some car scales, added more of them. Also some mist. But i thought something was missing that can be striking point of this image, something cool i wanted to see in it. So i added this huge building fall on another.

matte painting tutorials

final image

matte painting tutorials

Then some people gave me cool critics that maybe it was to dark and that maybe light can be off to get better feeling of abandonment, so i made some changes and this was final image. Also i have changed sky to get more light and to get some "better tomorrow" feel

matte painting tutorials

This image is done in 4k resolution that is most common size for matte paintings. Here are some details from first final version.

matte painting tutorials

matte painting tutorials

matte painting tutorials

matte painting tutorials

matte painting tutorials

matte painting tutorials

If you have any question i will be glad to answer you

Here is also my demo reel. My friends helped me to create camera projection with this matte( take a look at 43sec)
    http://www.vimeo.com/7923103

M

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Members who have read this thread: 8