Kick-Ass

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kick-Ass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kick-Ass

Saw Matt Vaughn's adapatation of Kick-Ass last Friday, it did exactly what it said on the tin (and more).

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, saw it the other day, most enjoyable.

Some of the changes from the comic seemed a bit random but overall they got more right than they did wrong.

7 and a bit/10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well wasn't the film finished before the comic's first volume? As Mathew Vaughn and Mark Millar agreed to make it as a kind of collaborative multi-media project making both at the same time, with filming going into development before even the first issue was published? (I heard Mathew Vaughn was approached by Mark, during the Stardust premier, back in 2007)

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the final issue only came out quite recently (March?), which would explain some of it.

Still enjoyed it a great deal though.

Edit: go watch it, it's funny. First person Shooter scene is awesome.

Last edited by Flake; April 5th, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely have to see this!

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to sit through the whole hardcover while I was in Waldenbooks the other day. I didn't care for it much. It's not something I'd ever want to read again.

I'm surprised that they can have kids star in a movie they can't watch, according to the ratings system.

How much did they tone down Hit-Girl?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    How much did they tone down Hit-Girl?
    They didn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So she's still cursing like a sailor and making Mortal Kombat look like Barney?

I wonder if any interest groups have said anything about the movie or comic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    So she's still cursing like a sailor and making Mortal Kombat look like Barney?

I wonder if any interest groups have said anything about the movie or comic.
    I cursed like a sailor when I was young, but it was mostly online, in private. Offline, I was hovered over by Mormons.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone wants anymore info on it's developments here's Empire's interview with Mathew Vaughn;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Kick Ass" reviewed by The Daily Heil, they're in full on "Ban This Sick Filth Now!" mode..
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...childhood.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw it in theaters.... it made me rage It was NOT the cute, funny movie I pegged it to be... instead it was an...action/comedy/drama movie?? But not done well.
    It was like weird humor+ awkward drama+ RIDICULOUS FIGHT SCENES (the only part I liked was the girl kicking ass) + WTF sex + deaths everywhere
    aewygrhulfhfehulgrbhlefhururghuifhuibuEFubEFGSefBU ;hebrwgluioi
    (supposed to be funny.. but serious, ridiculous.. yet realistic...?)
    [just my opinion, don't get offended I needed to get that out, I'm probably being too harsh lol]

Last edited by mustang_sally; April 18th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the movie was hilarious. It had great humour, and the action scenes were as good as a top notch action movie. It had it all! I personally loved it.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the comic a few weeks ago, and read through it in one sitting, and have to admit I was little disappointed with it. So I went to see the film again a few days ago, and I still really liked it. I feel like the changes that Vaughn made really sharpened the story rather than dulled it, there's a far more cynical strand running through Millar's comic that disregards the emotional impact. In the comic Dave's a more sleazey character (following Katie around) whilst I found his film counterpart sincere. Big Daddy's twist in the comic is integrated into the film version rather than completely cancelled out(the comic he makes for his backstory), which keeps the cynical aspects of Millar's comic from dulling the emotional impact of the characters but staying true to it's source. Along with this Vaughn and Goldman tweaked the plot and how the scenes play out to give the story a brilliant humour. (Which was in the comic, but I didn't feel it was quite as sharp and at times felt convoluted rather than witty)

The most interesting thing though, is that for the type of film it is it has an indie-aesthetic, which kind of mirrors the comic which reminded me alot of webcomics rather than of a big mainstream title.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang_sally View Post
    I saw it in theaters.... it made me rage It was NOT the cute, funny movie I pegged it to be... instead it was an...action/comedy/drama movie?? But not done well.
    It was like weird humor+ awkward drama+ RIDICULOUS FIGHT SCENES (the only part I liked was the girl kicking ass) + WTF sex + deaths everywhere
    aewygrhulfhfehulgrbhlefhururghuifhuibuEFubEFGSefBU ;hebrwgluioi
    (supposed to be funny.. but serious, ridiculous.. yet realistic...?)
    [just my opinion, don't get offended I needed to get that out, I'm probably being too harsh lol]
    This just makes me like it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    "Kick Ass" reviewed by The Daily Heil, they're in full on "Ban This Sick Filth Now!" mode..
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...childhood.html
    I heard an interview of Millar on BBC 5 live, where he said he was a Daily Mail reader, and the people read who read it that he talks to loved Kick-Ass. And pointed that Tookey was on his own on Kick-Ass. (You can download that podcast, it's Richard Bacon filling in for Mayo and Kermode)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was wonderful. The changes they made from the comic were (mostly) justified, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang_sally View Post
    I saw it in theaters.... it made me rage It was NOT the cute, funny movie I pegged it to be...
    I can't believe you thought it was going to be like that in the first place. I've never read the comic, saw one clip and one trailer, and I could've told you it wasn't going to be "cute". I mean, it's rated R and shows ordinary kids dressing like superheroes and killing people...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Orunitier View Post
    I can't believe you thought it was going to be like that in the first place. I've never read the comic, saw one clip and one trailer, and I could've told you it wasn't going to be "cute". I mean, it's rated R and shows ordinary kids dressing like superheroes and killing people...
    Yeah, no doubt. No idea how you thought this would be a cute movie.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sad that they re-used the scores from 28 Days Later and Sunshine but it worked well. I wish those people who are revamping Spider-Man would take some notes on how to do a slightly more real movie that had some emotion in it.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I'm sad that they re-used the scores from 28 Days Later and Sunshine but it worked well. I wish those people who are revamping Spider-Man would take some notes on how to do a slightly more real movie that had some emotion in it.
    And Enio Morricone's score for 'A Few Dollars More'. (Which was a great scene. Also weird that those two films you mentioned were by the same director.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have had "One Star! A Crime Against Cinema!"- The Daily Mail.. on the poster.

A one star review in the Daily Fail is a guarantee of a good movie for 80% of the UK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    I'd have had "One Star! A Crime Against Cinema!"- The Daily Mail.. on the poster.

A one star review in the Daily Fail is a guarantee of a good movie for 80% of the UK.
    Didn't Tookey try to get David Chronenberg's Crash (the one based on the JG Ballard novel) banned in the UK?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like the kind of thing he'd go for.

To be fair "Crash" was a bit rubbish though. (Cronenberg perv one and the equally worthless racially sensitive Hollywood toss that shares a title.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought it was a good "over the top" kinda movie. It was just fun and violent. Personally I liked the way they used the scores from 28 weeks later and Sunshine, but I've always loved the scores from those movies anyway

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Who else's new favorite superhero character is Hit Girl?

Edit: girlfriend just said I look like Kick Ass, I'm a happy, happy motherfucker!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was suprised at how good it was, I don't think the trailer did it justice.

It did bother me how the movie changes from being very realistic with tons of great guy humour(a lot of people think Superbad) to having over the top action and the "superhero movie" drama. The start of the movie is so good, it's funny without even trying and the world just feels real. When Dave puts on that costume, he doesn't get his ass kicked, he nearly gets killed.

When Hit Girl and Big Daddy come in, the movie is still funny as hell, but the realism is lost and the humour shifts from conversational to "haha! Did you see that?!!". Thing is, I really like the movie, but the change in style just bothered me for some reason. I like both styles of the movie, but I think they kind of detract from one another by having them side by side. I don't see any way it could of been handled better though, I mean this isn't so much criticism as it is observation and preference.

I like how much balls the movie has too. I read some of the comics, so I was a little disappointed when Katie and Dave get together in the movie, where in the comics she freaks out at him for being a creep. I respect any story that doesn't have to force a romantic subplot and happy ending, so the film suprised and disappointed me here. For the rest of the movie, this was great though, seems like the makers of the movie did what they wanted to and you can just feel that the whole way through. One of my new favourite movies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loved it. Had a good laugh throughout it and totally loved the concepts. I was totally taking mental notes on screen shots and art during the movie ;P The story was pretty good and unexpected for me since I hadn't read the comic.

Absolutely loved the "Fuck this, I am getting the Bazooka" part and thought it was an over all great movie.

I am not too big a fan of blood and seeing body parts flying so I mostly just turned away from that because I am squirmish but it was well worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Yeah, no doubt. No idea how you thought this would be a cute movie.
    Reminds me of the people who took their kids to see The Watchmen despite the R rating and were surprised they were getting teabagged by Doc Manhattan's giant blue penis.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kick ass was awesome, loved it mmmmmmm

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hit Girl needs her own movie, she ruled.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to loveandasandwich For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.