Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts

7.2 quake in southern california

Anyone else feel the quake? it was easily, by far, the biggest quake i've ever felt, and i've been living in California pretty much my entire life.

All the dogs in the neighborhood started barking, then the entire apartment started shaking, my monitor shook, tv nearly fell off the stand, and it went on about 20-30 seconds. My girlfriend and i ran to the doorway and stood in the threshold for the entirety until it stopped, but damn, i think i shaved a couple years off my life in those 30 seconds just from the damn stress.

Apparently some people felt it more across my county than others. Im convinced that my area must have gotten hit the hardest cause it was pretty insane here. I was just waiting for the building to start ripping itself apart.

Nothing was destroyed but its still difficult to relax. Like i said i've never felt anything that severe before. We keep getting aftershocks, and could get more actual quakes in the coming month. I really really hate quakes, they are F'ing scary, and yea, these aftershocks are making sure the quake is fresh in my mind.

Anyone else feel the quake today?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Damn, is the fault line more along the coast or the interior of California?

Thanks
    feel for you man earthquakes arent fun

on a funny note it was probably the result of elwells ban hammer in effect so much haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    The quake wasn't that bad. It went pretty smoothly.When I was a kid "they" said earthquakes would turn California into an island by the year 2000. Even worse things happened Arnold Schwarzenaegger became our governor.

Thanks
    It was my 2nd earthquake since I got here about half a year ago (I'm in hollywood). It wasn't that bad here though, just some wiggling...not even bad enough to knock my empty subway cups from off their random shaky placements around the room >< heehee

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    i hope no one got hurt
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    this feels like Final Destination on a global scale. So what other places on fault lines is next on the list to be hit this year?

Thanks
    Why so many earthquakes in 2010...
    21 years old, good with drawing, but new to painting

Artstation

Older Work
    2013 2011 2007

Thanks
    I wouldn't exhale yet.. wait for the aftershock(s).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imnotanoob View Post
    Why so many earthquakes in 2010...
    Its the media fad. It seems like a lot but its really not its only because the media is like "hey we should report all of these EQ" I saw that 2 were killed and 100 hurt in mexico... >.> does that count? Its just like when they were reporting all of the cop killings, cop die every day but normaly you don't hear about it that offten.
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Pretty crazy to see how everything is connected. Ever since Haiti it seems like quakes are getting more and more frequent.
    Last edited by Schnookiefoo; April 5th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Its the media fad. It seems like a lot but its really not its only because the media is like "hey we should report all of these EQ" I saw that 2 were killed and 100 hurt in mexico... >.> does that count? Its just like when they were reporting all of the cop killings, cop die every day but normaly you don't hear about it that offten.
    I get what your saying, I just disagree in this instance. Since Haiti and the south east asian tsunami everybody has taken earthquakes seriously. Like I said the earthquake went smoothly, but it was pretty powerful. I was just concerned that other areas had it bad or if it could cause a tsunami. Luckily no. Cali has been due for I giant earthquake. Hopefully shaky cups is as bad as it gets.

Thanks
    No one got hurt in california by the sounds of it. But it seems like some felt it more than others. Even within the same city, I'm hearing people saying they hardly felt it, while others like myself felt like the whole building was about to collapse in on them and felt every tiny aftershock afterwards.

I've been reading that it all depends how your building is constructed, if it's anchored to bedrock or not, if the material is flexible, and if your on a ground or top floor can all be a factor in how much of the actual shaking one experiences.

I'm on the top floor and I am pretty sure my building has a steel frame, which would explain all the movement. Though i guess thats a good thing because it's better to be in something constructed to be flexible in an earthquake than something like a stone building with no reinforcement, which would just crumble in a quake. Also if I'm not mistaken one of the big problems with haiti was the buildings weren't constructed to be earthquake proof and lacked reinforcement necessary to help flex with the quake. Coming in at 7.2, this southern Cali quake is technically bigger than Haiti's, but i think the depth and the architectural differences helped minimize the damage.

Diarum - i get what your saying, it does seem that way that the media might be blowing it out of proportion. It is very true that quakes are pretty regular around the world every year, but i think the difference this year isn't that the media is blowing it out of proportion but that (three?) major quakes have hit highly populated regions and were felt by a large number of people.

Raoul Duke - Yeah, i'd like to think this was that "big" earthquake cali had been expecting. Speaking of preparedness in earthquake times, tsunami's etc. From what im hearing, i think another factor in why the haiti quake hit the island so hard is that their buildings are constructed to be more hurricane proof than earthquake proof. My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico and she was telling me that if a quake hit there, it would probably be close to as devistating as haiti.
    Luckily i dont think Puerto Rico is near any major fault lines. But yeah, back on subject their buildings are prepared for tsunamis/hurricanes, etc. but it's because of that which makes them so vulnerable to quakes. Apparently hurricane construction calls for solid built, anchored, heavy, concrete buildings, while quake buildings if i'm not mistaken call for the opposite - light weight, flexible, wood/steel frame buildings. So it's a trade off of sorts, but if your in both a quake and a hurricane/tsunami region... you are kind of up shit creek without a paddle one way or the other.
    Last edited by ArtZealot; April 5th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Cali has been due for I giant earthquake.
    I thought this line was a bit funny. Exactly how is Cali "due" for giant quake?

At best I found
    In 2008, a multi-disciplinary collaboration of scientists and engineers released the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast (UCERF), which predicts a 99.7 percent likelihood of a 6.7 or larger earthquake in California in the next 30 years.
    Seems a bit on the vague side.

Thanks
    wiki says Earthquakes between 7.0-7.9 magnitudes happen around 18 times every year. so maybe it is the media. I guess it just fits well with the 2012 thing, a lot of people will probably be more concerned with natural disasters until then.

Thanks
    Nobody is calling this a disaster. It was just a big enough for people to be concerned. This is a heavily populated region. In 89 the quake wasn't so bad down here in So Cal, but it killed many in the bay area. So quit acting like this is just media over hype. It's not big news, but it's news. All I heard about in the news today was Tiger Woods anyhow. It's nonsense to tie this in with that 2012 bullshit. Nobody gives a shit about 2012 accept Sarah Palin.

Z-Here's a wiki about a little 6.9 that happened once.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    All the dogs in the neighborhood started barking, then the entire apartment started shaking, my monitor shook, tv nearly fell off the stand, and it went on about 20-30 seconds. My girlfriend and i ran to the doorway and stood in the threshold for the entirety until it stopped, but damn, i think i shaved a couple years off my life in those 30 seconds just from the damn stress.
    This reminds me of the 2003 San Simeon earthquake, which happened just a few dozen miles from where I was living at the time. It was the most pronounced and sustained shaking I've ever felt, lasting about ten to fifteen seconds. I'd lived in California all my life, and all my life I'd been told to stand in a doorway during an Earthquake. What did I do during this one? I ran through my house panicking and waving my arms like a damn chimpanzee in heat, that's what I did.
    So, I feel your fear. Kudos for actually keeping your head through the ordeal.

Thanks
    Felt it out here in Phoenix.

Thanks
    It must be great for the US military/CIA/whoever is calling the shots, great for them to be able to disguise a WMD weapon test as coming from a natural cause.

http://english.pravda.ru/science/tec...ted_earthqua-0
    http://www.videoscomicos7.com/hugo-c...arp/2010/04/05

[edit] news isn't really about information, it's more to do with the pure entertainment of drama and violence. the information that's used is usually a twisted construction and/or filtered enough so you only hear what they want you to hear. I think a lot of people already know this, however.

oh well, soon enough we won't be able to have these thoughts, let alone share them when C|A officials or whoever can read our minds.
    Last edited by Max Challie; April 18th, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    No the CIA didn't cause the earthquake. It was Elwell!

Thanks
    one just happened in Indonesia. 7.8. seriously, why arent we predicting where it will strike next so they can save themselves!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I didn't feel it up here, but I'm going to LA on Friday... Hopefully it will be over by then!

Thanks
    Yea jake, the tremors have pretty much stopped. I mean i dont want to jinx it, there may be more, but whereas the day of the quake we were getting several an hour, i think i may have only felt one small aftershock all day.

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Its the media fad. It seems like a lot but its really not its only because the media is like "hey we should report all of these EQ"
    Over here it's a bigger media fad to completely misunderstand how earthquake ratings work and say things like "...a 7.8 earthquake, slightly stronger than the 7.2 earthquake that hit..." (er, try ten times stronger) or, as reported last night ago on the BBC (the BBC, note!) "...the earthquake measured 7.8 on the Richter Scale, the second highest category..." The what? The second highest fucking what?

I'm sorry but it annoys me so much.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the scale is totally confusing to me, but what adds more to the confusion is the damage in certain areas. If a 7.0 earthquake hit one city and now its completly flat versus another 7.8 one that hit a different city, but there were only small casualties, it seems weird, I always think why is the 7.0 one blown way out of proportion but the other one gets little coverage in news if its .8 more powerful.

Now knowing different building types, etc. it makes more sense

Thanks
    The scale is not linear. It's based on orders of magnitude. I dont know how to calculate exact numbers, but a 7.0 earthquake is roughly, at least twice what a 6.0 magnitude quake is.

Anyone is welcome to correct me if im wrong, but if i understand it correctly, what the orders of magnitude is really referring to is the joules created by the tremors. The numbers associated with the joules created reach so high and vary so much that a magnitude scale which is based on scientific notation (2.7×10 to the 9th power etc.) is the scale that really makes the most sense in fathoming the power created by a quake.

So the reason why a 7.0 quake can hit a city and not do much more than shake it a bit, but a 7.8 can level a city, is because a 7.8 is at least or close to twice the energy of a 7.0

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    The scale's logarithmic. A 7 earthquake is about 30x the power of a 6. A big factor in what damage it does is also how deep it occurs. So a 6 occurring at 10km down would likely cause more damage than a 7 at 40km.

Thanks
    http://www.haarp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    the scale is totally confusing to me, but what adds more to the confusion is the damage in certain areas. If a 7.0 earthquake hit one city and now its completly flat versus another 7.8 one that hit a different city, but there were only small casualties, it seems weird, I always think why is the 7.0 one blown way out of proportion but the other one gets little coverage in news if its .8 more powerful.

Now knowing different building types, etc. it makes more sense
    Building types, tectonic plates, and the earth/rock structure in the area. I think third world nations will get less media coverage than developed ones.

Attachment 958419
    Last edited by Max Challie; April 18th, 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/

There are earthquakes pretty much daily. There hasn't been a significant increase in frequency. Nothing suggests human induction, and when it does the cause is obvious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_seismicity.

I'm going to have to agree with Diarum on this one. But also, the idea that rural quakes won't be noticed. If you look at the Haiti quake, the one in Chile, and now this one notice how you have less casualties in increasingly developed countries. I think that plays a part too. More destruction = more newsworthy. With 24hr news stations you're going to get a lot of filler and earthquakes can be filler. Just as with shark attacks years ago. Shark attacks weren't abnormally high but all it took is one high-profile story and now Discover Channel has a yearly Shark Week.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."