Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SKB Sb 1000 Pen "James Jean"

Thanks
    I've discovered a far superior replacement to the SKB-1000, the Pentel Graphgear 1000. I purchase one last week and it has proven its worth. First off, it isn't cheap. A single pen cost $15, but it is refillable and the construction quality is AMAZING. I got it here. Jetpens has proven to be an awesome resource, by the way.
    sketchbook
    blog

support your local library!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkcellar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    slightly different topic, but you guys ever tried dip pens instead? Apart from having to dip them in ink every time, I find them so much better than any other pen. Compared to a ballpoint, its like a normal pencil versus a mechanical one. You can draw thick or thin lines by applying pressure, its a lot smoother on paper than any pen in general, and you can choose your own ink (especially india ink which is commonly referred to as the best quality ink to use).

If you're interested, you can get any handle you want, though try to find one that's comfortable. And for the nib, I use Nikko G series. You really should get a quality nib, cheap ones can really get frustrating to use. here's a quick portrait doodle I did using mine, I never went back to regular pens ever since I had it. They're used by a lot of calligraphers, cartoon and manga artists.

Thanks
    Any change of getting these through any of you guys? Skbpens.com won't answer my emails. I'm just searching for my weapon of choice and I like to work with ink anyways.

Thanks
    Get yourself a Pilot Hi-Tec C4 pen with gel ink. Or G-tec (alternative name), as you are more likely to find them in Europe.

Thanks
    Another possible option would be the Zebra Technoline, which has a 0.4 mm line in ballpoint. The only thing is that the barrel is fairly short, so that might put it out of the running for some. Check a place like Jetpens for other 0.5 mm ballpoints. I've never used the SKB myself, so can't compare it to the Technoline, which I'm fond of.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Ok, perfect thread since I'm currently thinking of either getting a better quality ballpoint pen or a fountain pen.

I've mentioned this issue before in another pen thread some time ago, but am still having the same problem.

I'm currently using a cheap Stabilo Liner 808 Fine (costs around US$0.60 each). Picture SKB Sb 1000 Pen "James Jean".

After a few days of using, the top of this pen starts leaking a bit. Basically, the ink covers the tip and "ink bombs" the paper if I'm not careful, and I gotta constantly use a tissue to clean it off, which is a PITA.

When I draw with this most of the time, I angle the pen down at 20 - 30 degrees to produce very light wispy lines and lines that almost skip on the page(construction lines), and then when stuff are finalized, I hold it in normal writing position and darken the lines.
    Occasionally, I push the pen towards the paper and use it sometimes like the way I use a pencil, though I hardly exert any force.

Is it because of this manner of using that the pen's tip wears very fast and thus leak ink?

I'm looking for a very good ballpoint pen that can withstand this sort of handling. Anyone has any recommendations?

I've also looked at fountain pens but due to the free-flowing-ink nature of fountain pens, they don't seem to be able to produce lines that almost skip on the paper, which is what I want.

Thanks,
    Xeon

Thanks
    I enjoy my set of Copics.

SKB Sb 1000 Pen "James Jean"
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips.

I just ordered pilot g-tecs to see how they work out for me.

Copic multiliners are great also but I've been using mainly Pilot DR Drawing pens in the past, I just somehow like them more. I also ordered some Pigma microns to see if they are any different. But one thing that bugs me about felt tip fineliners is that the tip sinks in very easily if you put too much pressure and then the pen is pretty much useless.

I also wan't to start shading stuff with ink but that's quite difficult with fineliners like Copic Multiliners or Pilot DRs so I wan't to try out some new ink pens, that's why i'm interested in these SKB pens... not that they are anything special but hey, there lives a little materialist in all of us.

Thanks
    Sounds like the SKBs are manufactured to Chinese tastes. The screw apart barrel and replaceable ink cartridges are there because Chinese consumers will buy and replace ink cartridges on even cheap ball points. What seems like flimsy construction to the western user is due to differing tastes in pen weight and handling.

Thanks
    I wonder if the Japanese will buy our disposable office pens at five times the price? Office Depot could be a goldmine...

Thanks
    i doubt anyone cares about these skb sb-1000 anymore (or s.k.b.? still dont know wtf it stands for... "Some Kind of Bull"? xD), but to explain away their "mysteriousness" i found their website (i guess they didnt pay google enough... srsly it's 2013, they should L2internet already):

http://www.skb.com.tw/index.asp?au_id=2&sub_id=2

these are perhaps, by a margin of ~50% or so, the cheapest pens i've seen around taiwan (usually on sale for 40c USD for a pack of 6, which is ridiculous even for the price range here. 25c if you buy them individually. 33c ea normally priced). right before school start there'd be a big pile of these. you can see that all their other pens are also tailored towards the "economical" users (e.g. students, office desk jobs). feels to me like the "no.2 pencil" kindda deal in pens (since i dont see that many bic's here, which are probably m.i.c).

they're not really refillable... in the sense that buying another pen probably costs you about the same. i think the casing is just whatever cheapest tube they found lying around that could wrap the ink cartridge... for small hands they seem to work just fine.

i remember years ago the "ink ball collection" process during writing was more severe, there would be ink running everywhere. i liked it more then. i'm slightly disappointed now (2013) that it felt slightly more dry and controlled, and not runny. but i dont really use these to make art so i'm not sure what the real effect of the change is. what i do care about is that the casing used to be prettier... they only had blue so it was clear, now they are still clear, but tinted to the ink's color. i dont think there was that ugly color ring either. i also dont really like how the cartridges are opaque, i collect pencorpses so to record that i've actually used up all the ink i have to use scissors cut down on the tube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2