Sketchbook: Redscraps' Scrapbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Heya. I'm chris, 20-year old student. I'm a bit of a lazy ass, and need a place to get more views on what is wrong with my work - hence this sketchbook.

I started digital painting about six weeks ago, (I should have started 5 years ago, but eh, teen angst.) and haven't got much in terms of innate skill. But that's what I'm here to improve, so I guess that will be alright.

Just the initial thumb for the thread on this post, and the next will be a lot of backlog so I can start with a clear slate. Hope no one minds; it just seems easier that way.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clearing the backlog, then.

First up, the images I used to start my study of colour and digital paint. All of these took way too long (hours, rather than minutes)

Redscraps' Scrapbook

A value study of Sargent, and one of Schmidt. I forgot to mention, drawing skills and such I need to work on as well. That's why sargent doesn't look like sargent, and the lovely woman in Schmid's has the cheekbones of a man. Whoops. Also sloppy values on the Schmid painting on my part = /

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Study of two other Sargent paintings. Tried to get colours and feeling right, rather than shapes - later went and tried to make my own shapes fitting with the image instead.

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Progress from the above, it'd be much appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction; what is going wrong and (if anything) is going right for the stages.

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Unfortunately I didn't finish this study. I want to go back to it, but I have no clue how to emulate the lovely brushwork on sargent's piece. Nothing I tried seemed to work.

Redscraps' Scrapbook

And finally, some more thumbs. These are mostly sloppy and lazy; though I spent way too much time on the middle thumb. (Contrast, the bottom one is the only thing I've ever managed to do in 10 minutes. I planned a series of 10, but screwed them all up aside from that one) I need to work on my focus while painting.

Redscraps' Scrapbook

Any critiques, suggestions and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice start man, you are doing great for just six weeks on digital painting. I'm no great digital painter but I can give some advice if you don't care.
    First, as you keep painting, try to gradually drop using the color picker, especially if working from photo reference, just to get used with color and values. Also do a lot of practice on grayscale, try to emulate lightning and different materials, it will help when starting a new piece from scratch.
    Hope it helps. good luck

A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homerid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 2 cents: try to understand the 3D shape of whatever you're painting and how light affects it, rather than just copying flat shapes of colour (for example, the portrait of the girl: most people who've never had a close encounter with a land mine have their mouth in the centre of their face); and try to think of a way you want to render textures within the constraints of the brush you are using (or switch to a more appropriate brush). The grass in the eagle pic is a good example of this. Maybe overall try to plan out your paintings a bit more.
    Hope that makes sense and/or helps.

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

WILL DRAW FOR FOOD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rubicante For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I've never done any digital painting, so take this with a grain of salt First of all, nice job, but i think most of y our works could use more work, more details, more sharp edges, if you see what i mean. Seems like the color are always all blended together. Anyways, keep going !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.