Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Legally blind...a creatives journey

Thanks

Legally blind...a creatives journey

First Sketchbook. First time revealing my process. The point of starting this online journal is to help me organize my thoughts and efforts around who I am as an artist. Because I really do not know yet.

The update: I am still working at trying to be creative, had to take some time off due to health, but I did not stop drawing or painting, just needed to manage my time.

comments welcomed.

Huge EDIT...
    Last edited by sombertwin; May 16th, 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: changing title and info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ok I am having trouble loading up the other sketches...time to search out the how to load sketches...

Thanks
    loose gesture sketches to find characters for collateral damage painting.

Thanks
    more studies

Thanks
    more studies

Thanks

skeleton holding female

I will be working for awhile on the skeleton gestures. I use skeletons a lot. To me skeletons are not so much about death, but about drastic changes.

Thanks

schedules drawing and madness why the painting is called Colleral Damage

I'm not sure I will be able to sketch anything for Collateral Damage today. I plunged into another online art experience called Brooklyn Library http://arthousecoop.com/

I needed to challenge myself to grow and the Brooklyn Library projects force me to produce. It is donation driven and what you do is not juried, it is displayed though in their gallery and online.

CA really has some good to great artist. I just love art. A lot of y'all are way younger than I am. I am in my 50's. As a child I had wanted to be an artist but bless my mother a person told her my work reminded them of van Gogh. My mother was impressed until she read up on the most tragic artist life that makes it hard for some to understand not all artist suffer. My mother felt a black girl child had enuf to deal with and being an artist was too much. So she threw away all art stuff and after years of discouragement I stopped I was 13 or so. It was a fluked that I found art again,but that is another experience to be shared later perhaps.

The reason the painting's working title is Collateral Damage is because I was watching CNN. Pictures of war gave me nightmarish images. I thought at the time how do women shop for groceries, what are the children lives like, the men and women on both sides of the war as soldiers who were they becoming?

In the painting to the far right are 3 soldiers, a couple of helicopters and other machinery. These soldiers are frozen watching the exodus of people leaving their homes. Each person fleeing has their own story. The soldiers are removed from their pain because they have to be numbed. But in the painting these same soldiers are fleeing...because they will go home. Once in war the person changes I think. So this painting along with several others I have in the works attempts to speak to collateral damage caused by various situations.

The painting will have an estimated 48 plus characters, over a dozen war machinery, a house on the hill and the rest i can't really explain. The painting has several elements that are not immediately apparent to the eye.

The plan again is to draw the gestures that define the character and then work up the anatomy. During this time I will also be experimenting with compositional elements.

Thanks

skeleton head

I am attempting to find an expression that communicates despair for the victim the skeleton will be carrying. Also the skeleton will also feel sorry for the child left behind

Thanks

the women of the painting

I thought I would loosely sketch ideas. I am having trouble freeing the barriers my mind presents. I am trying to demonstrate rawness..but I am frozen in an abyss to get it right the first time.

I am still working out a process that will help me get this painting completed.

Thanks

work work work

I am a member of the Brooklyn Library and am involved in a project call the Color project. I have to complete a finished work 8x10 by 13 Apr 2010. The site is at http://arthousecoop.com/photos/87297...e-paint-sketch.

The Brooklyn Library is not a juried thing any artwork is accepted and shown. It is truly a peoples art place. Of course it is support for charging a small fee...I mean small fee for submissions. I am part of the ART co op because I have got to get working outside of my basement and because I need the challenge. It is a nice way to enter the world of art I think.

The sketches following are for the 8x10 work. I hope to have all of my subjects and composition figured out by Friday evening and hope to be able to begin painting by Sat.hahahahaha

I am working on the background.

Thanks

in the mail by 13 April 2010

Below is the working composition for the Brooklyn Library. I wish someone would comment on it before I start painting. But since I have to start tomorrow....what are the chances?

I will have to paint wet on wet using a drying agent for oils. I am most familiar with oils and not very comfortable with acrylic. But I might try acrylics...I am not sure yet.

I do know I am going to have to paint an an abstract way because I will not have time to figure out the real anatomy of the subjects.

What I do for resources is find positions close to what I want to draw, then look for arms, hands heads that fit the position...but most of the time I am just guessing at what the correct form is based on what I know so far about figures.

I wish I had time to figure out clothing...but that is another layer of thought and color composition. The funky way the drawing looks is because I need to copy the composition to a canvas somehow. Never have done that before...so I make the lines look darker.

Thanks
    Awesome idea, it's great to have a goal! Keep it up, I can't wait to see the outcome!

I'm not in a position to crit, so don't take my words as the truth. My eyes are distracted in this picture, I think it's because the individuals are directing themselves away from the focal point, the skeleton? In one of my psychology classes we learnt that our vision is impacted by things within our environment, if someone looks one way, we'll generally follow. I'm inclined to look to the left.... Probably because the people are looking there. Try it on your friends, look up suddenly and they'll follow. I'm assuming the same idea transferrs to pictures/composition. I twisted it around... Sorry about the crappy paint pixels, ill hopefully install photshop tomorrow to experience its awesome. Oh and for some reason the chick in the bottom right is annoying me.... I don't know what to do with her. I think it's a prospective issue.

Attachment 952030

Attachment 952031

Tbh, your painting reminds me of classical paintings. Here's an example, look at the eye/head direction of the individuals in the image below.

Now note in the image below how everyone's congregated up and around the focal point.

Hopefully these photos will help with colors too. If you're still stuck do a google search for renaissance or classical art to get further inspiration.

I just did this as an experiment. Maybe a united image isn't something you're after? Like I said previously don't take my crit as a definate. I'm noob P: Hopefully someone with experience will be able to pipe in.

*bump*

Gl
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sombertwin (lol), My brain isn't up to speed yet, however, the left leg of the skeleton bothers me. I would need to print it out to check the angle. I figure you already noticed this.

Is your skeleton like your other characters here? Are you working on her movement as well? If so, I feel certain this post is completely unnecessary.

edited: doh! I can see you're working on the left leg. Sorry bud for the comment.
    Last edited by Jamieth2000; April 10th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast