Sketchbook: Legally blind...a creatives journey

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Legally blind...a creatives journey

First Sketchbook. First time revealing my process. The point of starting this online journal is to help me organize my thoughts and efforts around who I am as an artist. Because I really do not know yet.

The update: I am still working at trying to be creative, had to take some time off due to health, but I did not stop drawing or painting, just needed to manage my time.

comments welcomed.

Huge EDIT...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sombertwin; May 17th, 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: changing title and info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I am having trouble loading up the other sketches...time to search out the how to load sketches...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loose gesture sketches to find characters for collateral damage painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

skeleton holding female

I will be working for awhile on the skeleton gestures. I use skeletons a lot. To me skeletons are not so much about death, but about drastic changes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

schedules drawing and madness why the painting is called Colleral Damage

I'm not sure I will be able to sketch anything for Collateral Damage today. I plunged into another online art experience called Brooklyn Library http://arthousecoop.com/

I needed to challenge myself to grow and the Brooklyn Library projects force me to produce. It is donation driven and what you do is not juried, it is displayed though in their gallery and online.

CA really has some good to great artist. I just love art. A lot of y'all are way younger than I am. I am in my 50's. As a child I had wanted to be an artist but bless my mother a person told her my work reminded them of van Gogh. My mother was impressed until she read up on the most tragic artist life that makes it hard for some to understand not all artist suffer. My mother felt a black girl child had enuf to deal with and being an artist was too much. So she threw away all art stuff and after years of discouragement I stopped I was 13 or so. It was a fluked that I found art again,but that is another experience to be shared later perhaps.

The reason the painting's working title is Collateral Damage is because I was watching CNN. Pictures of war gave me nightmarish images. I thought at the time how do women shop for groceries, what are the children lives like, the men and women on both sides of the war as soldiers who were they becoming?

In the painting to the far right are 3 soldiers, a couple of helicopters and other machinery. These soldiers are frozen watching the exodus of people leaving their homes. Each person fleeing has their own story. The soldiers are removed from their pain because they have to be numbed. But in the painting these same soldiers are fleeing...because they will go home. Once in war the person changes I think. So this painting along with several others I have in the works attempts to speak to collateral damage caused by various situations.

The painting will have an estimated 48 plus characters, over a dozen war machinery, a house on the hill and the rest i can't really explain. The painting has several elements that are not immediately apparent to the eye.

The plan again is to draw the gestures that define the character and then work up the anatomy. During this time I will also be experimenting with compositional elements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

skeleton head

I am attempting to find an expression that communicates despair for the victim the skeleton will be carrying. Also the skeleton will also feel sorry for the child left behind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the women of the painting

I thought I would loosely sketch ideas. I am having trouble freeing the barriers my mind presents. I am trying to demonstrate rawness..but I am frozen in an abyss to get it right the first time.

I am still working out a process that will help me get this painting completed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

work work work

I am a member of the Brooklyn Library and am involved in a project call the Color project. I have to complete a finished work 8x10 by 13 Apr 2010. The site is at http://arthousecoop.com/photos/87297...e-paint-sketch.

The Brooklyn Library is not a juried thing any artwork is accepted and shown. It is truly a peoples art place. Of course it is support for charging a small fee...I mean small fee for submissions. I am part of the ART co op because I have got to get working outside of my basement and because I need the challenge. It is a nice way to enter the world of art I think.

The sketches following are for the 8x10 work. I hope to have all of my subjects and composition figured out by Friday evening and hope to be able to begin painting by Sat.hahahahaha

I am working on the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

in the mail by 13 April 2010

Below is the working composition for the Brooklyn Library. I wish someone would comment on it before I start painting. But since I have to start tomorrow....what are the chances?

I will have to paint wet on wet using a drying agent for oils. I am most familiar with oils and not very comfortable with acrylic. But I might try acrylics...I am not sure yet.

I do know I am going to have to paint an an abstract way because I will not have time to figure out the real anatomy of the subjects.

What I do for resources is find positions close to what I want to draw, then look for arms, hands heads that fit the position...but most of the time I am just guessing at what the correct form is based on what I know so far about figures.

I wish I had time to figure out clothing...but that is another layer of thought and color composition. The funky way the drawing looks is because I need to copy the composition to a canvas somehow. Never have done that before...so I make the lines look darker.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome idea, it's great to have a goal! Keep it up, I can't wait to see the outcome!

I'm not in a position to crit, so don't take my words as the truth. My eyes are distracted in this picture, I think it's because the individuals are directing themselves away from the focal point, the skeleton? In one of my psychology classes we learnt that our vision is impacted by things within our environment, if someone looks one way, we'll generally follow. I'm inclined to look to the left.... Probably because the people are looking there. Try it on your friends, look up suddenly and they'll follow. I'm assuming the same idea transferrs to pictures/composition. I twisted it around... Sorry about the crappy paint pixels, ill hopefully install photshop tomorrow to experience its awesome. Oh and for some reason the chick in the bottom right is annoying me.... I don't know what to do with her. I think it's a prospective issue.

Name:  CritExample1.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  CritExample2.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  60.8 KB

Tbh, your painting reminds me of classical paintings. Here's an example, look at the eye/head direction of the individuals in the image below.

Now note in the image below how everyone's congregated up and around the focal point.

Hopefully these photos will help with colors too. If you're still stuck do a google search for renaissance or classical art to get further inspiration.

I just did this as an experiment. Maybe a united image isn't something you're after? Like I said previously don't take my crit as a definate. I'm noob P: Hopefully someone with experience will be able to pipe in.

*bump*

Gl

"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sombertwin (lol), My brain isn't up to speed yet, however, the left leg of the skeleton bothers me. I would need to print it out to check the angle. I figure you already noticed this.

Is your skeleton like your other characters here? Are you working on her movement as well? If so, I feel certain this post is completely unnecessary.

edited: doh! I can see you're working on the left leg. Sorry bud for the comment.

Last edited by Jamieth2000; April 10th, 2010 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches of the skeleton are AWESOME. Especially the skull detail for one of them, and the detail in the one with the woman's body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the sketches, what do you want looked at. I can see they are a study in the position of persons and that the box look is for you to see what each part of a body looks like. When they are integrated into your painting, that boxiness we be gone.

I'll look at them a bit more tomorrow. Online too much right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prion you freakin rock very wordy excited reply...

Prion
    dude! or dudette this is what I am taking from your post...you can skip reading it all because all the words equal thank you and your comments helped and gave me additional creative direction.

!. I did not think about using Photoshop to change the composition only to print and save.....oh so duh! I have Coral Paint too...thinking thinking...Now I have to learn how to mirror an image and play some more with the composition in PhotoShop.

2. The focal point is the tableau between the three figures to the extreme right,.skeleton, woman and the woman to the extreme right, which I am changing back to the original child figure.

The rest of the figures are walking away involved in their own pain, their own problems. That is why the figures are displaying different emotions. The problem is there are missing elements in the smaller composition...the bigger painting, the one that is the one I really have to do has a war scene that implies the reason people are walking away, while the gruesome trio of the skeleton, woman and a child will be echoing the scene.

The smaller version does not have a reason....hmmm need to think more about this...

3. I was going to write more about my inspiration for the painting a little later. But for now you used Goya in one of your examples...which blew me away. After I got the idea for the painting and done sketches I happened on one of Goya's paintings that spoke to me. (more later) I have kept a journal of the painting and its sisters since 2007.

4. Eye movement. I was and am very conscious about the eye movement. I am familiar with compositional elements. (loads of head knowledge...lacking on practical application) I used what I have learned, but I wanted to tweak the eye and make the eye examine what is the entire story. I take a lot of time getting the gesture feel of each of my subjects, they are not just background they are elements to a story. I will have to think deeply about what you said. Because you are right about the eye movement...i am just wondering if I can find away to get what I want and not make the process too distracting.

A distracted eye is what I desired. I do not want the subjects to lose their voice...their stories might be minor in comparison to the focal point...but I think are an important element. Maybe what I really want to do is make a movie.

Again thank you....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ms Jamieth

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieth2000 View Post
    Your sketches of the skeleton are AWESOME. Especially the skull detail for one of them, and the detail in the one with the woman's body.

Thank you...

When am I going to see your photo work on the board??? hint hint double hint!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch book woes

All day today, I worked and worked on a way to make a form of the composition work for a project. I literally learned Coral Paint and figured out some other digital tricks that actually helped. I finally got how to do layers..and they are magical. I also learned how to mirror and all kinds of other stuff. I have as a result a deep respect for digital artist. The work is not easy.I thought it would be easy but nope wrong...

I have decided to explore completing a composition digitally. First time ever and really am a bit manic to get things done. Of course it I can't then I have a back up plan.

I am just talking to myself I know but I am keeping track of my efforts via this sketchbook. I have nothing to show but words today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yep had to produce somethin a value study

I just could not get any composition to feel right...I need that visceral feel one gets when you know you nailed the emotion.

So I am posting one of my failed attempts. Not failure really, every time I work on this I find I've learned something else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color Project- I choose red because it is outside my comfort zone.

I joined a group of artist at an Art Co-op who regardless of skill level can submit and display work. I have several project deadlines. In my insanity I figured if I had serious goals and challenges I would have to improve. Take what I know from books to the real world arena.

The latest project was called the Color Project. You had the choice of any primary color. That color had to figure in the work produced. I choose REd. It is a warm color and I tend to work on the cool side. I really stepped out of my comfort zone. I was going to do this project in oil...because I know oils...but I choose another way to get the work done. sheeeesh I must have been nuts or hormonal.

I must let go of the work. The submitted material must be stamped by 13 April. I wished I had more time. oh well....it took me 3 days to complete the below composition.

Last edited by sombertwin; April 13th, 2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: forgot to load image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, np.. it's dudette btw. Even though I use dude for both genders lol. I love the meaning behind your piece, sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.

Definite improvement on the composition imho. I've never been fond of bright reds, dunno why but it seems to add some caos into your painting which is ofc a good thing given the theme...

Anyways, keep it up!

"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

changing things a little bit

My original reason for setting up a public sketchbook was to keep a record of my progress on a particular monster painting I have been wanting to complete for awhile.

The idea is working so now I am posting my daily tug with insanity. I find i keep busy when I have clearly committed to a goal.

I explained earlier I am with a ART Co..called the Art House aka Brooklyn Lib. http://arthousecoop.com/ A great place for beginners and seasoned professionals. All levels of artist participate. Everyone's art is accepted and via the projects ones work is displayed at various places and sometimes the work gets published. Me I am an advance beginner.

At any rate 12, 13 April I have been working to complete another project called The Scavenger project. Your given 10 words or phrases and you come up with an image that speaks to you. As usual I am working up to the last sec. The date material is to be mailed is 15 April. Below is what I am working on. Nothing is written in stone until it is in the mail and away from me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

working sketch for space between us Scanvenger Project

I do not think I will have the following pieces done for mailing by 15APril...but then again...if I do without sleep...I have family they'll feed me...

working sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prion View Post
    Haha, np.. it's dudette btw. Even though I use dude for both genders lol. I love the meaning behind your piece, sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.

Definite improvement on the composition imho. I've never been fond of bright reds, dunno why but it seems to add some caos into your painting which is ofc a good thing given the theme...

Anyways, keep it up!

Thanks for the suggestion on the composition. I knew better. I really wanted to make folks look every where....but I realized it was a bit distracting.

The bright red of the composition is something I never do.However my entire experience at the Art Co is to try things I never would try unless part of something. I am comfortable with oil painting...but I am trying to make myself experiment in a focus way. I tend toward cooler colors...but because I had leaky brain syndrome I choose to do the work in red...this is by no means a final composition.

I am goal oriented and know even when there is no one looking over my shoulder I will work. That is why having a public sketchbook is a great idea. Knowing you have something out there pulling at you....well for me makes me work.

now if I could just make the next leap toward developing past an advance beginner...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just one more minute, just one more sec

these works are not finished until I actually render them in oil...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

not much today

I thought though I would post what I generally do daily.
    Every month I work up a schedule. The schedule below is something that general does not change, except what I am reading.

April 2010 work schedule

Look at Project Schedule

Chromatic scales

Mwfs

a. value studies- color + compliment-2 hrs

b. value study- monochromatic-2 hrs

c. quick studies- 1:30 hrs

d. sketch figures-emphasis collateral damage gesture emphasis 2 hrs

Tu/th
    a. Comp study- 3 hrs
    b. Figure study- 3 hrs
    c. Projects-see list

Research-See project list

Reading
    Natural way to draw
    Transfer tech
    License work
    Print work

I have another schedule for projects and etc. I will post that later.

Below are two value studies using one color and two color studies done in oil, generally value studies are about a hour or so. In the first value study I used Payne Gray and white, in the second I used Umber and white. The color studies were done in about 30 mins and one 45.

I use Craig Nelson's book 60 minutes to better painting. I try to do at least 1 15 min, a couple of 30 min..and at least one value hour long session. Sometimes when I am just not feeling like doing anything...I find doing quick studies in oil tend to help me get to work. I am just getting to know acrylics.

I am finding my observation has improved and is improving the more sketches I do. I will start posting my morning activities as soon as I figure out a way to schedule scanning and posting into my schedules.

the images might look dulled. The reason is because I use a paper that I have treated that will take oils. Materials are really expensive so I find recycled papers that are similar to a thick bond, I treat them with a glue and gesso mixture. I generally treat about a 100 sheets at a time. I also look for really cheap water resistant papers or books. Every now and then there are huge sales on watercolor sketchbooks that are not really good quality..but great for treating with the glue gesso mixture so I can paint cheaply.

Last edited by sombertwin; April 16th, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: forgot information

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am awake again early a.m so what is there to do?

I am posting an oil still life study. My true objective was to work with drapery. I really have a problem with understanding how to develop values. The reference for the work is something I know I must have seen some where.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyna View Post
    Hi,
    thanks for visiting my SB
    Actually I find your art a bit too creepy for me: those skeletons with naked females - not my cup of tea No offence though, I think your last oil still life is good.
    In my opinion you will gain much if you spend some more time working on fundamentals, like anatomy and perspective. when you master the basics you will find working on more complicated compositions, like the painting with the skeleton, easier.

Thanks for responding and more importantly for sharing your opinion. I get my subject in my work might be a bit dark and alarming. I get why might on first look feel its creepy.

It might be a cultural thing or my own thoughts about pain and change. The skeleton in my work represents drastic change. The reason the skeletons in my work have emotions is to echo the pain of each of my subjects. The naked women are only representative of being striped of everything. Part of the reason I feel I must perform this work because it mirrors the pain and the ugliness of what is accepted and couched in the phrase "collateral damage"

I am not trying to change your mind, just explain one old black woman's point of view.

thanks again for the comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I took a quick dip into the deep end of madness. Started off with my spiritual well being. I was in a great mood this beautiful spring like day.

Being a budding artist I thought I would make sure I had at least 1o minutes of sketch work today. So as I lah lah tra lah lahing in that lah kinda way, I chose, yes my choice to add something new to my schedule. While viewing others SB I noted a site folks are using for 30 sec poses at http://www.posemaniacs.com/?pagename=thirtysecond

Yeah I went to the site. I am very impressed that the models used are musculature forms as opposed to nude forms. Big plus. So in my lah lah tra lah lah state of mind, I pick up a felt pen. (never have drawn with a felt pen ever!) Of course like little red in wolf man's hood I just ignored the warnings in my head to stick with what I know when I have a limited time.

I started the 30 sec tool and yes an image appeared that was fore shorten, the view was from the foot up. yep I was going to draw that...so I waited for the next one...lets just say my first experience with a REAL 30 sec pose changer ruined my tra lah lah.

Lessoned learn...do not try new stuff when you only have limited time to digest the information.

Being in a tra lah lah mood should be suspect.

and I really learned I am still into details. I have been trying to free my mind from the anatomy, foundation courses I have learned in school. My stuff was becoming frozen and very stiff. So although I will still be working on technical aspects of painting and drawing, that is not my concentration. My main concentration is on gesture and getting the feel.

I found the entire 30 sec poses horribly uncomfortable, because I just could not take in that much information in such a short time...

duh...keep it simple work in mass. simple lines. I also do not think a felt pen is best for this kinda study. At any rate 30 sec poses will now be part of my schedule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update results of study lost at sea

Results
    Although the update below is posted, I wanted to connect the results of the studies I am doing with what I think are finished pieces. Although the final piece is part of a larger oil painting subject, I think for the purposes of the project I had worked I have one finished result.
    I have had several uses for this particular study, but I think my most successful use of the studies resulted Lost At Sea which is the image below.

Written orginally.
    Today I started re-thinking how I would depict Lost at Sea for the Scavenger Project. I have always wanted to so some sort of work with a ocean. Now that I am in the allowing myself to freely explore whatever is my artistic development I decided to experiment a bit from a different p.o.v.

Below is what I think will develop into something else. But I don't know yet, because I need time for the image to simmer. I think I have the values in the study I want, I am not so sure about the colors. I do think I am sending a cleaned up version of the Blue study to the Art House..the home for every type of artist not matter the level.

Last edited by sombertwin; June 26th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2