Ringling animation or sheridan animation (guys, help me pick XD)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling animation or sheridan animation (guys, help me pick XD)

Hey everyone, I got in to both Sheridan animation and Ringling animation.
    I live in Toronto Canada, so Sheridan is actually closer to me, but I have a lot of interest in Ringling

I have to make my decision before may first, so can anyone here give me some suggestions or comments on which one should I pick?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please, leave your comment at least ><

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im from canada as well and now i have to choose btw ringling and sheridan just like you.
    personally, I think if you can afford 45k per year including living expenses and such, then by all means choose ringling over sheridan! : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3D world mag ranks Ringling over Sheridan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yyates05 View Post
    3D world mag ranks Ringling over Sheridan
    The 3d World rankings are, at best, a starting point. They just compare how many computer animated shorts get into a certain set of film festivals. As such, places that don't focus on computer animation (such as CalArts, which I don't think anyone would seriously argue is a dramatically weaker animation school than Ringling), places that don't spend a long time on one project, and small programs can't really compete, regardless of how strong there programs may be.

Both schools are top-notch, but both have different styles. Depending on where you are now and what you want to do, either might be the best choice. Compare their literature, compare student work, talk to teachers, talk to students, and decide for yourself. While there are Ringling, and probably Sheridan, students here who are, I'm sure, willing to answer any specific questions about their school, just asking which one is better isn't going to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it depends on what you want out of your education. There are plenty of people from Sheridan who are working in the industry, too. Ask yourself why you first became interested in animation. Were you first charmed by the 3D that you saw in Pixar? Are you fascinated by how characters move? Or, were you the kid who could never put down his pencil?

If you are more interested in the 3D aspects, I highly suggest Ringling. Most graduates are working as 3D animators, 3D modelers, 3D lighting, or Texture painting artists. A very scant few who graduate work in 2D positions like storyboard artist or Concept artist. The focus of the program is very much 3D.

If you are more interested in drawing, I would suggest Sheridan. I don't know too much about the program specifically, but it overall seems to produce great draftsmen who also know how to animate.

Another thing to consider is what kind of film you would like to make. Overall, most Ringling films have sort of a.... "House Style." The films here are more or less directed by the instructors. (To clarify--students come up with the ideas, but the faculty have a very specific idea of what should be approved and what should not) While the story in most films isn't especially original, they are technically strong. Students find employment because of the technical aspects.

If you go to Sheridan, you will probably have a great deal more freedom to create whatever kind of film you want. If you're interested in creating a piece of art, you might have an easier time at Sheridan.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; April 4th, 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    I think it depends on what you want out of your education. There are plenty of people from Sheridan who are working in the industry, too. Ask yourself why you first became interested in animation. Were you first charmed by the 3D that you saw in Pixar? Are you fascinated by how characters move? Or, were you the kid who could never put down his pencil?

If you are more interested in the 3D aspects, I highly suggest Ringling. Most graduates are working as 3D animators, 3D modelers, 3D lighting, or Texture painting artists. A very scant few who graduate work in 2D positions like storyboard artist or Concept artist. The focus of the program is very much 3D.

If you are more interested in drawing, I would suggest Sheridan. I don't know too much about the program specifically, but it overall seems to produce great draftsmen who also know how to animate.

Another thing to consider is what kind of film you would like to make. Overall, most Ringling films have sort of a.... "House Style." The films here are more or less directed by the instructors. (To clarify--students come up with the ideas, but the faculty have a very specific idea of what should be approved and what should not) While the story in most films isn't especially original, they are technically strong. Students find employment because of the technical aspects.

If you go to Sheridan, you will probably have a great deal more freedom to create whatever kind of film you want. If you're interested in creating a piece of art, you might have an easier time at Sheridan.

Hey betty (in case you don't remember me, I am bill, the guy who asked you questions back in april on email, like a lot of questions) you said about how the instructors have a specific idea they want you to follow or something, can you tell me more about that. Also, do you guys make a lot of films, or focuses on 2D arts a lot??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might not be the type of response you were looking for, but... 3 years ago when I was applying for schools, I applied to both Sheridan and Ringling. I was accepted to both. At the end of the day, I chose Sheridan because 4 years at 28k sounded MUCH better than ~160k. Since you're a Canadian citizen, you get heavily subsidized education, which is a beautiful thing.
    At the end of the day, I chose the cheaper school and just chose to work as hard as I possibly could no matter where I was. It's a decision I'm glad I made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    any more ideas guys??

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.