Sketchbook: Jocose's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jocose's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jocose's Sketchbook

Hey everyone, I have been practicing for a few hours everyday for the past 6 months or so.

In an effort to get some feedback and to better organize and keep track of my progress I'm going to try and post as much of my work here as I can.

So long as something illustrates an idea or thought process I will put it up. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To start things off I'm gong to post some sketches and doodles I have laying around. I have another cache of them at home that I might add later. Otherwise I'm hoping updates will be in real time as I get things done.

Name:  workSketchDump.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  261.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick sketches from photo reference

Name:  baby&OldLady.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  12.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, keep going with the sketches. Iím sure youíll see more improvement in no time. Along with using photo references why not draw some things from life if you havenít already. See if you can draw some people on the sly.

I like some of the stuff you drew from your imagination. That weird creature near Spiderman for instance, itís pretty interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks a bunch for the reply. I'm going to try and post as regularly as I can and see if I can get some good feedback.

I have been having trouble finding a good balance between quick sketches and spending a long time on a drawing. If I spend a long time I often times obsess over something and never move on wasting an entire evening on a simple drawing.

I'm going to try and do some medium length 15 min to 30 minute drawings every day along with some quicker figure drawings to see if I can start moving out of the rut I'm.

In that spirit here is a 15min drawing of a dog, I rushed it near the end because I had to get back to something, so it turned out a little odd.

Name:  dog.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  12.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawings were mentioned. I do them. Often times after work I will go idle at the grocery store and sketch the people at the automatic checkout. Here are the sketches from today. The people are moving, and I'm still learning, so its all pretty rough.

Name:  sketches.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  29.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches. I really need to get out and do some life drawings as well. I understand what you mean about finding a balance between quick sketches and long drawings. I think I have the same problem sometimes. If you want to do more quick sketches I would give yourself a time limit and make yourself stop after the time is up. However there is nothing wrong with longer studies, so I would keep doing them as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

April 06 Quick Life Sketches

@gabbyness: Thanks for dropping by, yeah I agree for sure, balancing how long you spend on drawings is a key to improving. Its easy to get repetitive and just start rythmatically putting down lines if all your drawings are the same length. I'm making an effort to work on that.

I was pretty burned out after work today but I headed up to the store to do some sketching anyways. Was able to relax and get a few in. I keep struggling with the urge to get a quick gesture line done like I see so many artists do but at the same time I really want to focus on the shapes, they seam equal in priority in my mind. I think I should probably just focus on shape for the time being and then try to integrate gesture later. If anyone has any thoughts on the subject I'd be interested in hearing them.

Name:  sketches2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  175.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

April 07 Life Sketches

So I have been really struggling trying to figure out how structural drawing mixes with gestural drawing or even what the terms mean. The ideas and way they are used seams so scattered in my head that whenever I got to try and apply what I have learned over the years it gets all jumbled up and I can't draw.

This morning I was studying and had the idea that there is a more fundamental aspect of gesture: axis. I started drawing straight lines instead of curved ones and it helped me a great deal.

Name:  axisexample.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  39.8 KB

To start, I drew the overall straight line like a rod going through the center of a box. Then I draw the same axis line for the feet and then the head, shoulders, and hips. I found that once I had these basic things down it was much easier to build the rest of the drawing. If I instead focused on shape first I always would get confused, and gesture always threw me for a loop because I could never get the subtle line.

When I had all the changes in direction (axis) I would then add in the gesture to connect them all.

I tried this process out at the store these evening and it really helped. I spent less time thinking about the "overall shape" and the "head to toe gesture" instead I just drew a single axis, the feet, and the head, then any other important change in direction between those points. Then I connected them all.

Here are the sketches from tonight:

Name:  sketchesapril07.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  52.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hurray for Wacom

Finally got my wacom tablet configured and decided to knock out a sketch before I headed to bed.

I did this from imagination, was happy that I was able to capture something that looked like an elephant considering I haven't looked at one in ages, although there are a lot of problems with the drawing....

Meh, its just a sketch I suppose. Will do more later. I'm hoping to post some notes on my current way of looking at drawing tomorrow.

Name:  elephantsketch.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  25.8 KB

15Min from Imagination

Last edited by Jocose; April 9th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick Update

I have been drawing, need to post a few more things. Did take about a 4 day break from drawing though as I was sick.

12 min photo ref:

Name:  dog.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  10.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, I have been bad. I meant to post here a bunch but several things got me out of the habit. I have been drawing though. Going to have to go through and check my sketchbooks and post a few things from the past weeks.

I have been doing a lot of research into lenses and photography lately. For some odd reason it helps me think more about form and mass. Also working with light a little. I did a quick sketch of a goat here. I'm going to try painting more to help get my mind around things.
    Name:  goat.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  76.6 KB

Last edited by Jocose; May 16th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick doodle before bed. Trying to focus on silhouette and basic shapes.

Name:  darkKid.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  70.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
Views: 317
Size:  450.8 KB

Have a few more sketches from the stores around here. I have very recently started to understand drawing through the form better and focusing on drawing with more a of 3d mentality.

Most of my time right now is spent sketching heads. I might try to move on to some other bits of anatomy or even some hard surface stuff at some point.

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it. I'm looking for new ways to study. I don't want to fall into a rut so if anyone sees any consistent areas of deficiency in the stuff I'm posting and has some ideas for better studies I'm all ears.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
Views: 295
Size:  38.9 KB

A few more sketches. I have been starting to focus on how to relate shapes to form. Its been a big help at least boosting my confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Sketches

Had a pile of stuff at work I picked a few things out and put them here.

I drew the cows from imagination. Abe sapion and the gorillaz guys are copys from other artists, the old man was from imagination and the hand was from life.
    Name:  workSketches.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  111.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been drawing nearly every day but stopped posting here. Which was really stupid. I'm giong to try and keep up with scanning stuff in. Today wasn't a very good drawing day but i'm going to post this stuff anways. Take the good with the bad and post it all

Name:  skeches.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  304.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.