Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice

Please post more digital work!

Also there is something I'm curious about, please dont take this question the wrong way. Your drawings are really good, the women are very sexy when you pose them. But I thought sexuality in that part of the world was a taboo to represent.. is that totally misguided?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks Vices
    I'll post more digital art soon

Your drawings are really good, the women are very sexy when you pose them. But I thought sexuality in that part of the world was a taboo to represent.. is that totally misguided?
    It is a taboo to represent.
    There are two parts for this here: Religion and Traditions.

From the religion (Islam) POV, the idea of covering up the body is to reduce the sexual tension in a community. Not having flesh on display reduces (most of the time) viewing a person (female/male) as a sex object. The reason behind trying to reduce sexual tension is to prevent/reduce the rest of the stuff that follows should a person takes another step to satisfy that need (Affairs, rape, un-wanted pregnancy, treating women un-fairly, jealousy ... etc). Marriage is also a step in that dirction, but religion regulate marriage so that it is build on respect and agreement from both parties (Assuming it is followed. More to come on this).

Traditions also attempts/enforce the covering of the body, for females in particular. There is this notion that the family honor will be tarnished if a girl is engaged in an affair or had been raped .. etc, plus the notion of keeping the family blood line "clean" by allowing a person from the same tribe/line to marry a girl. Women are more or less viewed as "property" in the 2nd notion, since they are not allowed to act to their will on who to marry (among other things).

Now, Religion (Islam) is suppose to be the sole guideline for behavior/rules in this part of the world, yet sadly, tradition was also mixed with it, giving Islam its bad name (that, and extremists). While not all the people here follow what I explained in the tradition part, a good number of them do, some to lesser degrees, but they still exists.

All of the above explains why it is a taboo to show the body. Islam is a bit more relaxed than the traditions part (No need to wear all black, just a good covering of the body with any non-sexy cloth. Face and hands can be reveled. There is no total separation between the two sex ... etc), but it is still calling to the covering of the body for the reasons mentioned above.

What I'm drawing is technically going against Islam, since I draw naked people. I just hope that I'll be able to counter-balance my Sins by using my drawing skills for good causes (charities and such). To my dis-benefit in this regard, I enjoy drawing women, and I blame the internet for having infinite resources of good looking women to draw . I understand the religion's POV on why covering is good, but it is too late for me ... I'm cursed for loving the woman's body. I just hope that, since I'm not harming anyone (just viewing and drawing, never ever going further than that) that my God and my loved ones will forgive me. I also hope that the girl I love will be open about it, and will love me still, regardless of this shortcoming.

As an extra note, I can never show any of my drawings (with naked women in them) in public, so I'm glad there is a place where I can share these without being looked down upon.

Thanks
    Here is more digital practice ...
    Space woman not from ref, the rest are ...

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Today's patch: First line work done digitally, at 12 am
    2nd was done at work. Ref used for both.

Thanks
    Wow. That's a lot of progress for just two pages of a SB.

/subscribing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    I like these later posts man, and reading your take on that subject of imagery in Islam is fascinating. hope you are keeping well, if I can suggest something I recommend for values to just use no more than 3 grades of value when shading for now - block out areas of value of paper white, grey and black rather than try to add subtelties and render lots straight away. Just something to try, I think it may help a tonne with your shaded drawings, best of luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Lord Dubu : Thanks , I'm flattered! but if you look at the dates of the posts, you'll see that I'm cheating (post a little, go away and improve for a while, post a little), so it seems like I'm improving fast. Thanks again for the watch

@tehmeh Hey man! how come I dont see you in the chat? busy lately? I hope you are doing well
    Thanks for the advice. I think you are referring to the last pencil image? I'm still bad at keeping a shade level consistence, but next time I'll try and draw a scale next to the image (white, grey, black/dark) and then I guess apply lines in just one direction with consistence spacing to match the scale? Is that how it goes?
    I'll give this process a go and see! Thanks again

Thanks
    Wow thanks for that explanation! It sounds like a tough spot to be in! I'm glad are sharing your works with us too because they are getting really good!!

Thanks
    @Vices Thanks man. But just to note, its not a bad place to live. If I have the choice between raising my kids outside or here, I'd raise them here ... its just the art thing that is troubling me (among other things, but what country doesnt have its own issues?).

Alright, here is what I wasted my last 16 hour of drawing on. I know its a simple line art, but it took a while to re-draw to fix proportions (Special thanks goes to #conceptart chat channel, Cookiedough). This was started and will be finished for a simple office joke that I want to send to someone.
    One of my first few images that started without a ref, but I had to use some ref later to fix proportions.

Last edited by alamed; October 6th, 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Re-sizing the image

Thanks
    And here it is color, without shadows yet.
    While I should have moved on on this, it is turning to be a great lesson in taking something to the finish stage so I'm super happy about this ... hopefully I'll do better next time
    As for the image, this is a joke that I wanted to pass to a colleague. We were working on an educational MMO quest that teaches the kids about the Milky Way, and we looked up why it was called that.

Thanks
    Final version! trying to add shadows.
    I forgot to color the eyes but its time I move on ...
    This could be the last upload in page 3 ... on to page 4

Thanks
    Huh.. I wish I could draw pretty girls like that. Awesome pencil skills. Keep going!

It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

Thanks
    Heeelllloooo Page 4!
    @Gildorek: are you kidding? you got great stuff in you SB ... I'm jealous

Here are some sketches from the past few days ... all from ref, using artworks from artists here and there (all for study purposes).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.