Sketchbook: hyperfinite's sketchbook: Updated 06/14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hyperfinite's sketchbook: Updated 06/14

Now that I'm in TAD, I guess I should maintain a more active presence and stop lurking. So, without further ado...

Here's the ten pieces I used in my TAD portfolio that hopefully will soon enjoy a blissful future of obsolescence:

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by hyperfinite; June 14th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's some of my recent studies I've been doing from random images selected via the LiveJournal public image feed. As the weather improves and it stops raining constantly, hopefully I'll be able to bring the tablet outside with me to get some plein air painting done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    04204305042010 - Updated: here's another couple of studies.

Credit to the original photographers, uploaders, proliferators, etc.

Paint more; you can never paint enough. Are you painting? No, you're browsing the internet, so paint more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    08380611042010 - Updated: Ugh, Unfortunately I haven't had as much time as I would've liked to paint lately, though I did find the time to do some color studies.

Paint more; you can never paint enough. Are you painting? No, you're browsing the internet, so paint more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    19383412042010 - Updated: Who's day is it? Yuri's day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    12534427042010 - Updated: Been a while... I've been busy painting and taking 'roids whenever I can get a chance to enjoy the weather. I love 'roids. Too bad they stopped making them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    09484312052010 - Update: Just coming down off 'Roid Week 2010, which involved driving around to a bunch of local interesting places and taking a lot of roids. Polaroids, in case there was any confusion. At an average of a dollar a shot, I've burned through about $50 in film, which gives me a considerable pool of options for personal studies, now. And I will continue doing studies pretty much until TAD starts up...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    042413052010 - Upd* (too small to be called an update): Here's another continuation of the 'Roid Week studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    08422217052010 - Update: Even more studies to keep getting in the groove for TAD, less than a month away now. I've been avoiding toxic studies with ambiguous or restricted usage rights, but I decided to do one of Bruno and OJ for the hell of it. Maybe tomorrow I'll get out and get a Plein Air study or two in if the weather complies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    08465119052010 - Update: So, I totally failed it at painting a still life yesterday, so I made up for it by seizing the opportunity to do a couple of speedpaintings of Daedelus while he was mixing an awesome live set at dublab...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyperfinite, absolutely great studies. Really liking your approach. You seem to be getting a good grasp on the digital form. Those photo studies will teach you a ton.

Few things I noticed which could need some catching up to do. Perspective issues here and there, foreshortening looks awkward on some of the figures. Also you could benefit a great deal from studying anatomy more.

When you do photo studies I would suggest to pay attention to accuracy so you will train your eye hand coordination.

Great stuff and definitely pushes me to study hard.

Keep up the good work and I'll see you at TAD online.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how you use the grainy brush to create all kind of textures. also those two black and white studies look really good

"It's a time machine, Napoleon. We bought it online."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Jussi Tarvainen: Thank you so much, it's good to hear from another TAD student and I certainly can't wait until classes start up. I saw your sketchbook and you've been improving by leaps and bounds; your recent anatomy studies in particular have gotten really good.

Yeah, the photo studies are definitely helping a lot, I started doing them to improve my speed and I think I'm just about to the point that I've done more studies this year than I painted all last year. I haven't been focusing on perfect accuracy so much as I've been concentrating on efficiency and achieving accurate colors and values without picking from the reference, ever. I used to flip a grid on and off so I could fix my errors, but decided that was kind of cheating since it reduced placement and separation of positive and negative space to counting grid lines and after a point I stopped learning anything from that. Next step: when I'm painting studies fast enough and accurate enough from photo, get outside and do some plein air studies, skipping the whole photography part.

I agree, I definitely have a lot of work to do on my anatomy: my understanding of anatomy has been diminishing since the day I decided I needed to concentrate on environments because felt I was especially weak in that area. I really should brush up on my anatomy more than I historically have been. Luckily, I just found some life drawing sessions on Tuesdays and I've been meaning to drop in for a few before TAD starts.

Qikalain: Thanks, I've been out taking polaroids of things to paint studies of (not Bruno, unfortunately) with a bunch of different types of expired film that gets a lot of interesting grain and the colors shift around as the chemicals start to decay, and I've really been trying to capture that in the studies too in addition to the sexy backwards peeled frames. I'm glad to hear the extra effort is paying off.

Here's the latest study. Unfortunately it was taken with a digicam, so the colors were a breeze after all the expired polaroids I painted, and I had no fun replicating the grain of the photo, just a dash of low opacity digital noise. However, I really need to get better at painting vehicles and tech as well, and I have a bunch of digital photos but only a very limited amount of that kind of stuff on polaroid film right now.

edit: I should also add, this is the first painting I've done in Photoshop CS5. Which doesn't feel any worse than CS4, yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm painting beyond the visible range, now: I did a study of an infrared photo I took last year, and while I'm not entirely satisfied with the end result, painting in IR does merit further exploration...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, imagine that, today I further explored painting in the infrared range. This time I flipped the red and blue channels on the reference photo to get a blue sky, so the colors are kind of more esoteric this time around...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive amount of detail! keep it up.

But my advice would be, learn where to place it, and leave some "resting places" for eye. Massive amounts of detail after all, makes everything hard for eye to see, but who am i to advice on that, i got few works with same problem lol (though i have quit doing those works nearly completely..) =D

But surely, you can do it.

Kudos for you buddy.

Greetings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Nihtinen View Post
    Impressive amount of detail! keep it up.

But my advice would be, learn where to place it, and leave some "resting places" for eye. Massive amounts of detail after all, makes everything hard for eye to see, but who am i to advice on that, i got few works with same problem lol (though i have quit doing those works nearly completely..) =D

But surely, you can do it.

Kudos for you buddy.

Greetings
    J-P Nihtinen: Thank you, I totally concur with the critique on my economy of detail: most of my recent photo studies have been boring infinity focus or hyperfocal shots with maximal depth of field. This has been somewhat helpful because I use a lot of superfluous brushstrokes and it forces me to work on my stroke economy, but at the same time, too much or too little depth of field can really compress an image. I'm still not satisfied with my stroke economy, but I can at least use better photos with a clear focal area...

Just a quick update before I head off for to life drawing, I just finished a basic warm-up study of a sunset on Mars taken by one of the landers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm back from Tuesday night life drawing, and I definitely have some room for improvement. Gotta pound those bony landmarks into my head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really worthy of an update, but I wasn't doing too hot with the shorter poses the other night so I've been doing sixty second poses at pose maniacs to get some practice in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, I'm getting back on the grid after a week spent mostly on the road with my new (to me at least, the camera is 45 years old) Polaroid 180 packfilm camera. I've been doing more studies and some more pose maniacs studies as well, and I found another Martian sunrise/sunset picture.

Honestly, I've been distracted with the Polaroid 180 recently, and after two entirely bad packs of film, and one good pack of film, I've so far gotten five usable shots, with the other five being casualties to getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the camera and my clearly inaccurate exposure meter, both of which probably have needed service for at least thirty years.

I think I'm done with the photo studies for now: I made a gif of the latest comparing the original polaroid to the finished study, and while I'm not perfect, I feel like I've hit the "good enough" point where the photo studies are becoming a crutch and I need to paint the world directly from my eye instead of filtering it through a camera first in order to keep progressing. So the next step is to take a photo of the subject right before painting it from life, and compare the two post facto. Of course, the camera sees differently than my eye, which means photos will be only marginally useful for checking my accuracy, which is why I wanted to get that out of the way before graduating to plein air studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a brief update, my internet's been down for the past several harrowing hours, and I used the time to do a rough still life of my camera.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.