Frustration
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Frustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Frustration

I'm sorry if this popped up before, but I'm becoming very frustrated and unmotivated because the recent development of my education...
    Also sorry if I'm in the wrong forums, I'll just post it here...

I'm currently going to an art-orientated ... school in Austria, you could say it is something like an art-"Highschool", with different major - branches, like Film&Multimedia - Art, Photography&Multimediaart, productdesign, and Graphicdesign, but still the usual education (Mathematic, Languages, Chemistry, etc. etc)
    Because of the overall range of the advertised education I picked Graphicdesign... and now I'm utterly frustrated.

Firstly, I now know that I don't want to become a graphicdesigner. I have huge respect for the talented and amazing graphicdesigners out there, but ... I don't feel comfortable with it, it doesn't interest me, and I feel bored most of the time...
    Conceptart, illustration, comics, 2d/3d-animation, that are branches that truly interest and inspire me, that's a path I wish to follow.

Secondly, I am not challenged, working beneath my capabilities, and still I'm completely overstrained.
    It's a bit hard to explain, but basically: Our artteachers don't teach us anything. It's like they took a curriculum, thought it was neat, and just use the exercises, without the theory.
    We don't learn how to use acrylics, watercolours, oils or different media correctly, we don't learn any techniques or tricks. - We just... get a subject to work with, and then we have to paint in the given technique.
    After the completion of the work we don't review the paintings/pictures, the teacher doesn't give us critique
    I've once talked with one of my professors, and he told me the reason they don't give critique is because of the reactions of their pupils. They think it would discourage them or just anger them... that's a reasoning I just can't follow.
    WHEN are they supposed to learn to deal with critique, then? When they meet their first customer and he tells them their concept is awful? Do they want to throw THEM a hissyfit as well?

In the next class the human body will be one major topic, but I've seen the works from the current class, and it's the same problem... they are not learning anything, they are just copying what they are seeing.
    I've seen portraits drawn by the fourth class, the last class before graduation, and they almost look like drawings we all did when we were kids. No understanding of form, proportion, colours. - Nothing.
    In the other classes we don't learn how to concipate layouts, how to use colours correctly, how to do good typography or what should be considered to create good fonts/effects, what makes a good portfolio and what we better don't do... we just work.

So that's the part where I feel completely unchallenged and leads directly to the part where I'm overstrained.
    Because I WANT to learn, I want to learn everything, I want to understand the use of colour, anatomy, forms, perspective, layouts, typography, photography - whatnot. I want to be reviewed, to get critique. So I can do it better and evolve.
    But whenever I ask a teacher for critique, all I get is some watered down answer that's alright, and I shouldn't worry.

And because I don't learn anything in school, I try to teach myself. BUT I'm completely overwhelmed. I don't know what to learn, whether I learn it correctly or not, what's most important to learn, what I shouldn't do... I don't know how many things I do wrong. I'm at a loss.

Now I am more and more compelled that this is the wrong school for me. But thereís nothing I can do about it now. I am already eighteen, I havenít graduated before, so I canít just break up and start working. Plus Iím just too inexperienced to work right away. I know that much.
    The problem isÖ the school Iím going to is said to be the best artschool in Austria, and one of the very few, if not the only. (There is the very same school in different states in Austria, but I donít know of any other artschool with a different concept)
    Also financially itís not possible for me to simply move to another country to try it at another school. Ö

.. and now I just donít know what to do. Has anybody of you been in this situation? What did you do? Is there anything you would suggest to improve this situation? I'm at a loss in the moment.

PS: The school I'm talking about is the HTL - Ortwein ---> CLICK ME
    And yes, I know. Horrible website-design.

Last edited by Caboodle; April 3rd, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I know what you mean - I've been doing research on EU schools about a year ago, and most of student works from Austria, Netherlands and Finland were pure, unmuted garbage. I can't seriously imagine people getting hired with a portfolio of that crap, unless they're aiming for studio art and have some really, really good connections and a marketing agent behind them.

I've seen some really good work from German and British schools, though.
    with Germany, they need some sort of after-school education (like, 2 years of general university studies for example) - that I didn't want to go for, and the UK was too expensive for me.
    (should be cheaper for a EU resident)
    I can't recall the exact school's names right now, but most of them were from google and some practicing artists blogs, so it's not hard to find them.

you have several options, right now -
    a) don't abandon your school and find a private tutor - this, probably, will be the best variant since you will graduate with a BA (or whatever paper your school is giving you), and you will develop your skills on the side.
    b) same as "a", but invest money in online-tutoring (like massive black classes, for example), and put all your free time into drawing/painting. You might find youself stuck at some point (I've been through it, but this problem went away after I started working commercially), but you will have some certain results.
    c) transfer to another university, this might be costly and time consuming. also, remember that student work, exposed by university/art school, is carefully picked, and may not represent general student's skills quite truthfully.

Don't lose your drive, good luck with studying.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painterô gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your reply, ikken.

I know exactly what you mean... with the outlook on the next three years in this school I just didn't know what to do. I know I have the motivation and ambition to learn and draw as much as I can, but without somebody experienced to overlook and to review it, I just don't know how much I can evolve as an artist. There's only so much you can learn on your own.

Your point a) and b) sound good... maybe I can ask a few of my teachers if they know somebody who'd be willing to give me lessons, or who'd at least review my art properly. They all have connections, there should be somebody who could help me. Thanks, I haven't thought of that yet.
    I already managed to arrange a deal with my "Traditional art" - teacher, so I can join his current lifedrawing - class... I'll see if I can do more.
    And I'll see that I take some online-lessons as well. Should be affordable once in a while.

c) Is in the moment not possible. I don't have anything at hand. No graduation, nothing. I'm not studying at a university, I yet have to finish school. To move to another school would be practically suicidal. I'm already eighteen, and only in the second year of "highschool". (Long story, involves a year lost, me finding the HTL-Ortwein very late, etc)
    Plus it would be impossible financially. Sadly... If I had the chance, I would do it immediately, but I can't.

But... anyway THANKS a lot for your imput!

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Caboodle View Post
    I already managed to arrange a deal with my "Traditional art" - teacher, so I can join his current lifedrawing - class... I'll see if I can do more.
    that's cool - at the end, as long as you can study and practice and your school is not forcing a certain specific style (like, expressing love and hate through differently coloured soapbubbles), you can get really far.

by the way, I'm kinda curious... are you supposed to apply for a college/uni at the end of this three-year school? Or is it supposed to give students a professional art education in the chosen field (= not warmimg up for a more advanced art school)?

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painterô gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Take a deep breath. You're only 18. A lot people don't even really start studying seriously until 18 and most later than that. Take what you can from your education but supplement it with your own studies. Every person gets serious about their art at a different time. By serious I mean 8-10-14 hours a day of artwork. I know very few people your age who are ready for this or who even should be. Life is about balance, filling up the experience bucket. So take what you can and just keep getting better at your own pace. This site is a great place to start and there are also great books that can be helpful. Frustration can be destructive or can be very positive. Use it as motivation.

http://billcarman.blogspot.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Take a deep breath. You're only 18. A lot people don't even really start studying seriously until 18 and most later than that. Take what you can from your education but supplement it with your own studies. Every person gets serious about their art at a different time. By serious I mean 8-10-14 hours a day of artwork. I know very few people your age who are ready for this or who even should be. Life is about balance, filling up the experience bucket. So take what you can and just keep getting better at your own pace. This site is a great place to start and there are also great books that can be helpful. Frustration can be destructive or can be very positive. Use it as motivation.

http://billcarman.blogspot.com
    Applause. I will echo that post, I am 22 going on 23 in September and just now ready to get truly serious with my life and my art. With any luck I will get an acceptance letter to a school that fits my goals in two weeks.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    that's cool - at the end, as long as you can study and practice and your school is not forcing a certain specific style (like, expressing love and hate through differently coloured soapbubbles), you can get really far.

by the way, I'm kinda curious... are you supposed to apply for a college/uni at the end of this three-year school? Or is it supposed to give students a professional art education in the chosen field (= not warmimg up for a more advanced art school)?

No, they aren't forcing anything on you. That's one of the good things, you can develop exactly the way you want to.

It's a five-years school. It's practically a highschool for art. It's a bit difficult to explain, because I'm not sure how many differences there are between the american and austrian schoolsystem.
    We are not supposed to apply for college at the end of our education, we can of course, but it's not mandatory.
    It should be a professional art education, so we either are best equipped to find a job immediately or have a solid qualification to apply for a good artuniversity.
    But... of course it isn't as professional and good as advertised, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here.

bcarman: Thanks a lot for your imput... it might be true that most people my age are not truly serious about their art, but I know I am. I've learned so many things during the short time I've started to truly take my art seriously and to improve. But I know I could do a lot more if I had the support of my teachers.
    I just want to do it right, to have somebody to nudge me into different directions, who tells me what I need to improve, what I should learn, etc. It gets awfully hard and stressing to be my only critic and teacher.

Members who have read this thread: 2