IDW #122: Coffin - Voting

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rambozo

11 30.56%
  • Reymus

1 2.78%
  • Nutter

24 66.67%
  • artiphats

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #122: Coffin - Voting

IDW #122 Topic: Coffin

Deadline for voting: Sunday, April 12

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #122: Coffin

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; April 4th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coffin. a box in which a corpse is buried or cremated

A hero's burial. A huge, monumental floating coffin being pulled along by a funeral procession for all to see.

Given the definition of "coffin" I figured I'ld add a pyre up top the flying-box and combine both ideas (burial/cremation). So, you end up having the corpse encased at the top within the flames, and once the procession gets to the final resting place and the slow cremation has come to it's end, the central vertical pylon of this floating coffin is released and lowered into place.

I figured it should be extravagant if it was going to be some big-shot passing away.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drifter's coffin .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final resting place of a Lava Lord. The corpse still produces lava, so the coffin needs to be built to suit. Therefore it has a couple of features built in to cover for this. Including some vents at the top and openings in the sides for excess lava overflow, this in turn gets directed out of the tomb via a series of channels in the floor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Coffin of the Dragon Prince of Hell. Bound into a coffin for all eternity, the Dragon Prince sleeps, waiting, until....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This time I don't really have much to add to this round, except that I hope to see you guys back in the next round

So, no notes as usual this time!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    artiphats - I like this design, it definitely reflects the occupant quite well. The angry face on the top is pretty cool and works well. The only issue I have is that the perspective of your drawing is quite severe and it distorts the shape of the coffin too much. Perhaps take it easy on the vanishing points next time

Reymus - It's a fitting coffin for the subject, that can't be disputed . But you gotta admit it's not the most exciting of coffins It's still well drawn though.

Rambozo - I like this one a lot, it just looks impressive, dark and foreboding. I would like to see a bit more of it though to get a better idea of it's shape. This dosen't necessarily mean drawing the picture at a different angle, but perhaps adding an extra line drawing of a side view or something like that. Anyway this is pretty cool and gets my vote

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nutter - haha, true but I there's only so much you can do with a pine box.

Rambozo - Reiterating what Nutter said. Also, while cool, playing with a wider warm/cool range would have contrasted the coffin with the pallbearers.

Nutter - My only crit would be if you could have added some scale reference, I don't know if it's human sized, a reliquary, or a building/tomb for a giant lava lord.

Artiphats - Great, I think though you could have done without the horns on the side, a spiral beveled edge would have served it well.

Last edited by Reymus; April 4th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rambozo - You get points for having the most original and well thought-out concept. Great rendering, and I like what you wrote about the pyre being incorporated. The only problem I have is that without the description, I wouldn't be able to tell what it is. It works as an illustration better than a concept design I think.

Reymus - Nice rendering, you obviously have skill and talent, and because I see that I wish you had pushed the concept more. I disagree that you can only do so much with a pine box. I would have liked to see you play with different shapes and come up with something we've never seen before.

Nutter - Awesome man. I liked the jump from the first idea you had, to what you ended up with. It shows you took time to think about the design and make decisions. Very fitting for a lava lord. You get my vote. I do think you could have pushed the rendering a bit more, but I know concept art isn't always about being rendered fully, and I think the loose strokes work here.

For mine, first of all thanks for the comments. I do tend to work in extreme perspective, so I'll work on scaling that back a bit in the future. Also, Reymus, I think you mixed up the comments for me and Rambozo, but I was thinking of ways to make the silhouette stronger so that's how the horns on the sides came about. I try to go for strong silhouette's, so that the design is easily recognizable, but honestly I didn't try one without them so perhaps it still would have worked. Something to think about next time

Great round guys, glad I was able to get in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nutter : drawing cross sections/plans never even crossed my mind. Which is odd what with my architecture background haha, but it wasn't even debatable in my mind that this would have to be a one illustration type thing. It's my first IDW mind you... Hmm, I'm not sure I would have gone with a front/side elevation type deal even if I would have thought of it though (gives a whole different feel to an illustration when you start doin' that, take away from all that foreboding ), but you're quite right about that approach making things much clearer.

Reymus : Contrasting the tones would have made the pallbearers pop out more I agree. Actually they were a touch bluer than they are now when I started detailing them but I decided to attenuate the colder colours at some point (maybe a mistake in the end).

One thing that really dose bother me a lot is how dark and meddled it came out once I posted it on the net, loss of detail etc.. Black Alchemist mentioned it might be because I'm working in CMYK, I'll have to see if working in RGB will fix anything. I've tried screwing around with the proof colours some but I haven't seen anything that could explain the difference between PS and CA yet... I'm looking at the pic right now and in Photoshop the bearers come out quite a bit bluer and LIGHTER than they do on CA ... I'ld very much appreciate any further advice/tips on fixing this !

artiphats : Thanks. I figured it was important not to just have some casket basically, go for more than a box, like you said : do something original. So I guess I ran the risk of having things not turn out quite blatant enough. But if people don't understand it's a corpse-box then you're right: I might have over-shot a bit. In my defence, in my head it was pretty clear specially with the religious dudes at the bottom pulling the thing, but unfortunately not everyone can take a look from inside my skull right ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CRITS!!!

Nutter : I really like the lighting on yours, makes everything pop just nice and proper, flesh it all out with volume. My crit would be that there doesn't seem to be much details goin' on, leaning a touch on the simple side for my taste. As such the rectangular/metallic/riveted vocabulary makes it feel at first more like a ventilation/heating duct that a coffin/sarcophagus. The steam vents end up adding to the impression I find, although given the concept they were a cool idea I thought along with the lava-valves. VOTE!

Reymus : I'm a fan of the Man with No Name myself so you got extra points there, but I have to agree with nutter on this one and wonder how much further you could have pushed the design Then again "Duncan" probably would have said coffins were for sissies hehehe

artiphats : Cool. I don't particularly find the perspective too bothersome as it stands, although I'll admit things would probably have gotten pretty tricky if you'd decided to play around with a "built" background. My crit would be that the colours are a touch aggressive for my liking. I'm sure the coffin's different materials could just as easily be differentiated by detailing their distinct textures/grains and still keeping the colours in a more subdued pallet.

Alright, nice work see you boys at the next show-down

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.