Beginner with a few Questions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner with a few Questions

So i just got my Wacom Bamboo Pen in yesterday and have been enjoying playing around with it and getting used to it. Well, of course it comes with Painter Essentials 4. I have a few questions just on the program and some issues i am having.

1. Which brush is the optimal brush to use for typical sketching/Drawing?

2. Everytime i make a brushstroke, i get this nasty white fade on the ends which stands out and look horrible. How do i fix this?

3. If i try to make strokes over other strokes, half the time my new strokes turn white. how do i fix this?

4. Any "setup with a tablet" tips will be much appreciated, as i am a beginner and want to try my best to create art even half as good as what is on this site. Its very inspiring!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

fes is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Everyone has their own preference. I use a slightly customised pencil, based on Cover Pencil... but that's because I like my sketches to look like pencil marks.

For questions 2 and 3 it may be because you have 'Pick Up Underlying Color' unchecked in your Layers palette. This option only comes available once you've created a Layer. Tick the box and the white bleed will hopefully go away, as it will then pick up the colour underneath. Note that brushes with a lot of blend will pick up what's underneath them at the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that option directly on the layer, because either i can't find it or Essentials does not offer that setting. So my main linework still has these nasty white highlights around the edges :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That option should be on the layer's palette.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Godslegion View Post
    So i just got my Wacom Bamboo Pen in yesterday and have been enjoying playing around with it and getting used to it. Well, of course it comes with Painter Essentials 4. I have a few questions just on the program and some issues i am having.

2. Everytime i make a brushstroke, i get this nasty white fade on the ends which stands out and look horrible. How do i fix this?

3. If i try to make strokes over other strokes, half the time my new strokes turn white. how do i fix this?

4. Any "setup with a tablet" tips will be much appreciated, as i am a beginner and want to try my best to create art even half as good as what is on this site. Its very inspiring!
    Hi,

As you're seeing, most people in this forum use full Corel Painter versions and aren't familiar with the differences in Painter Essentials since it's a "lite" version of Corel Painter.

I don't have Painter Essentials 4 installed but in Painter Essentials 3, Pick Up Underlying Color and some other things available on the Layers palette in full Corel Painter versions are not there at all.

Your best source of information related to Painter Essentials 3 or 4 would be found in at Essentials Cafe, another Corel community forum for that software.

Good luck,

Jinny

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much! I figured majority on this forum who use painter would be using the full Painter rather than essentials. I figured out (since brushes are not customizable) that i need to use certain brushes which automatically take on colors appropriately, such as the "fine pen" which im currently using.

I would use photoshop, but whenever i try to make nice lines they come out pologonal, and jagged.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.