Thanks

Home is where the distractions are

I have a problem with working on art while at home. There's too many distractions like the computer and the TV. For example, last Thursday at drawing class I spent two and half hours working a very simple drawing and I didn't get bored, but if I were to try doing the same at home, I'd stop after a few minutes and do something else.

Anyone have suggestions as to what I should do about that?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    turn off your computer, make an actual time in your day that you have to draw.

Thanks
    Originally posted by davi
    turn off your computer, make an actual time in your day that you have to draw.
    It is so simple isn't it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks
    A spa sounds nice.

But seriously, I suppose people like me create these threads to get a restatement of what we already know: we are the problem.

Thanks
    when i got my first studio appartment i really wanted to focus on my art, so i decided to not have a tv in my appartment at all. that really helped alot! now i'm older and i need a computer for my profession, it's a bit distracting at times but like davi says yo, make time, assign drawin time. it's not hard really once you start drawing it usually is easy even if you didn't want to draw when you first sat down. good practice for becomin a pro too, cause i'll be damned if you want to draw a friggin series of rocks and trees for a week after seein some kickass movie that got yer juices flowin another way
    It's super happy wonderful fun time!
    www.fiddlegarden.com

Thanks
    TV is a big problem, i had to unplug my cable from the TV in my room and ive been drawing a whole lot more
    www.knowthemovie.com :chug:

Thanks
    I have a TV now, but since I lived without it for the last few months I don't really watch it that much. Not to mentionthat there is nothing on.

THe computer is a problem though. Forum whoring, game playing, music downloading...

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Dude I literally have 5 dusty game systems, cable T.V. and Internet.

You have to become very excited about your art and then all of those things take a back seat.

I LOVE playing video games and I love Final Fantasy, But I still haven't even beaten FFX yet because I just am having too much fun with my artwork. I probably only sat down twice in the last 8 months to play video games...And I would consider myself a board line video game nerd.

I mainly have cable T.V. so I can tape the Simpsons and Listen to mounds and mounds of documentaries while I do my artwork. I have learned so much from just listening and glancing up every once in a while...To be honest I shouldn't even have cable tv because of the extra bill, but it is just so hard to pass up 2 History channels about 6 Discovery channels and all the other channels that broadcast great documentaries.

The botton line is..

You do what you want to and what you have the passion for. If you naturally like being in "Chill Mode" more than being productive..Perhaps it's time to jab yourself in the side for a little wake up call.

Friends can also play a key roll. Surround yourself with productive people!

Good Luck Bro,

-Joshua

Thanks
    i think this is a problem a lot of us have, I've battled it lately myself. a suggestion that hasn't been said is: make your studio/work area a welcoming place to work. if it's a place where you are comfortable when you work, it makes wanting to go back to it much easier. And, just sit down and work. it's the simplest solution, but it's the best. George Pratt calls it a muscle, and you have to keep it in shape.

now, to practice what i preach...

Thanks
    Originally posted by cotron
    make your studio/work area a welcoming place to work. if it's a place where you are comfortable when you work,
    I totally agree.. For me I like to put up colourful poster of art and animtion to brighten the room...Plants are always cool. Also mounds of cool colourful action figures.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Thanks. Now I know what my friday off is going to be dedicated to! I'm going to turn my desk around so its not facing the tv. Yay. Thanks again.

Thanks
    I think that you need enough self control to kick yourself in the ass and to make yourself sit down and draw without TV and computers on. Once you can do it once, it gets easier each time until you've made it as much as a habit as watching TV or being on the PC.

Thanks
    Don't always expect for that non distracted feeling to come to you right away, even within the few hours... a day. Turn off the TV and Computer.. unplug them for a whole day... more... I guess it could be thought of as a drug. You are going to be distracted by the urges to turn the tv back on, jump on the PC and check out forums... play a game. Got to get it out of your system. Thats when the art flows, and then I don't want to do the other things hard to get a balance going.

May not work for everyone But I found it works for me when I'm having the distraction issue. It just requires me to excercise some will over those electronic gadgets we love.

good luck --marie--

edit:**anarchy beat me to it!**
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting