first attempt at landscape--
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: first attempt at landscape--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp first attempt at landscape--

Hi guys, I'm not much of a fan of landscapes so I never got around to trying to draw one until recently. I went as far as I could, so I'm pretty much stuck at this point. The main thing though, is I'm really questioning whether the "mountains" in the distance actually look like mountains. And the only reason theres lack of color is mainly because well... I couldn't figure out a good color scheme to use to color this sort of scene. Well, any input would be appreciated!

Name:  red_flag___toward_the_mt___by_rex_craft7.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  37.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your image as a landscape doesn't... well really work as a landscape.

you've got the back of a knight, or other soldier working as your focal point here, as he's the most defined and understood of your elements. Also notice the banner is REALLY small and makes the characters look out of proportion in comparison.

Your interest in whether or not the mountains are understood as mountains is a good one- I see a swamp landscape with dying trees more than I see mountains.

Before we get into that I think two questons are in order here... questions that will likely help you out as well...

Where is your horizon line?

Where is the marching army's destination? Into the mountains? A pass?

The horizon line will help establish viewpoint and a general understanding of perspective. The destination will help the understanding of where to look towards next (or where you want us to look next), both things I feel are more important than making the mountains look like mountains, etc. The essentials must come first...

Last edited by Quigleyer; April 2nd, 2010 at 02:25 AM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought they were trees. There are some suggestions of vertical lines in there that I took for early massing efforts at tree trunks that would be eventually painted in more detail.

About colors: are these basaltic rocks or limestone? Are they sandstone? What time of day is it? If the sun is low in the sky, which side is it on? It is going to make dark places appear in the canyons or cracks of the rocks that will help identify mountains for you. The projections or promontories will be brightly lighted, at least on the side the sun is on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the suggestions; I'll definitely work on this later today and post an update hopefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, I went back and tried tweaking it a bit; I'm by no means done, but this is the general direction it's ended up at. Would love more suggestions

Name:  DRAGON SLAYERZ234444.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  207.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might I suggest creating some brushes? A 'random-speckle' brush can be easily used for ground textures; it looks like this place could be sandy? And there's a couple of ways you can use brushes to create foliage quickly; the idea is that you set it up like that and tweak it so that it doesn't look 'brushed' anymore. If I'm making any sense.
    Same with clouds! While fun to paint, they can be a pain~ If you make a cloud brush and do it right, you won't even have to notice it's brushed.

Reason why I came up with this is because even though you have depth down right now, there's very little texture; brushes are an easy and effective way to create that

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightfibre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You had been asking about color schemes, and I asked what kind of rocks we were talking about. Have you given that any thought?

Here are some examples. These first two are limestone and sandstone with the big red one being sandstone.
    Name:  sedimentary.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  388.1 KB
    This image has granite and lava or basalt with the lighter brown ones being the granite. Look at the shadows and how the lines and cracks form in the stones.
    Name:  granite& lava.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  317.9 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright this will be my last tweaking. I really want to move onto the next piece, and also, I accidentally saved after merging all the layers (and I didn't realize it until later, so I can't go back and unmerge...) so it'll be a bit difficult to work on further now

arttorny, I tried to go the direction of limestone but I really had trouble drawing the mt in general; thanks for all the suggestions though. I'll keep them in mind next time I try drawing rocky areas
    Attachment 947559

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.