I really want to improve...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I really want to improve...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face I really want to improve...

uhm, firstly, Hello! I'm Baggy aka Sweep aka Sarah I'm a senior in high school and my greatest passion is drawing. I also gear towards music and broadcast media so I'm a pretty outgoing, talkative person.

Eh, well, I would be but I just feel so... let's see... "less than confident" lately, yeah? God, it's like, everything I love and want to be good at, I'm just... alright. I'm better than the average joeshmo. But my life, my ideal career, demands for a better performance. I've always know this but I always told myself that I'd improve and to just be patient. Well, I'm about to go to college and I'm still stuck in mediocre-land. I'm just tired of seeing everyone rocket ahead of me in skill (and I mean tired as in drained. by all means, I'm proud of those who can improve).

So, anyway, I heard this place was for professional artists but people like me could come for some kind, helpful words of advice and that's what I'm here for! Please, give me all you've got! I want advice, links, tutorials, suggestions, anything. I'm not expecting to be a pro by the end of the week but I've been feeling particular stagnant lately. I mean, I see what's wrong with my junk but I just can't fix it no matter what I do!

Gah, enough ranting. (Thanks to anyone who read all that. Cheers.)

Here's a submission. It's my most recent... uh... finished(?) piece and my first completed piece done in photoshop. I'd like you to ignore the two minute background and on-the-spot text. ^^;; Mainly just mind the character, if you would.

Thank you.

-Ah, and sorry if you're all tired of us anime artists. ;0; I hope it's not a problem here; I'm very passionate about what I do (although I'm trying to find ways to personalize my style a bit more...).

When you look ahead, you aren't looking back. Make sure your mind follows your eyes.

No regrets.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, I'm not a pro by any means (my signature pretty much insists on that), but I can still give you some advice. Mine would be to work on body proportions, as I feel the legs have a strange aspect. Studying faces more may be a good idea as well, as the face from the side view and the mouth (mainly the teeth!) in the main character drawing look somewhat off.

Anyway, coming to CA is a good step forwards for a DA-dweller. I've found people here to be quite helpful.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't exactly have an artistic background (I'm an engineer).
    Zeus & Sons, my webcomic. You can help me improve its artwork in this thread.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Greek Pantheon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA. It is a great community for artists looking to improve. One thing to help you out from the get go is to use the picture uploader in the thread post toolbar. That way you get a thumbnail for your post. I think that you should probably post a little more work though, then we can see more of your style. And welcome to CA again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) Start a sketchbook

2) There are plenty of drawing guides, and free books here.

3) Start by using traditional drawing, and painting instruments then work your way to digital -if you choose.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a-ah! I didn't get eaten alive! Thanks ;3;

Um, okay, yes, right now I'm on a class computer which doesn't work so well with uploading images so once I get home I'll put up a thumbail for this thread! I'll also start a sketchbook and check out some more of the site. ^^ I hope you can all be patient with me as I try to get better!

When you look ahead, you aren't looking back. Make sure your mind follows your eyes.

No regrets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they're not bad. I am not a big fan of anime or really know much about how the style works so keep this in mind with my comments. The character on the right is easily the strongest, it has a nice flow to it and shows some personality.

The one on the left looks pretty stiff, as well as off balance. It also looks flat. The shoulders look like they are supposed to be twisting, yet the torso is mainly straight towards us. This makes the shoulder on the left look more extended and causes proportion issues. I think you made the foreshortening on the arm on the right too extreme, it looks smaller than it should be. The mouth seems off center but this is where I am not sure if that's how it is done in anime. Lastly I find that green really annoying and too dominant. In the little image you have at the bottom right it makes him look more like Santa's Elf. I'd try either desaturating it, finding another shade of green, or just try another color all together.

The portraits of the character at the bottom both look quite flat as well, could do some more work on the structure there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're going to stick with the anime-type stylization, you're going to need to individualize your work. Big Eyes Small Mouth works for amateurs, but there's more to it than just pulling a shoujo-fest of epic proportions.

But onto business. Is this supposed to be male? And he's that skinny? So why does he have gynecomastia? Hell, I'm 5'8", and my arms don't look that skinny. Also, please check summa dat anatomy to figure out how the body's put together, because the human neck was not meant to connect to the head that way...

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.