How To Train Your Dragon

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

How To Train Your Dragon

Who else has seen it?

Great visuals, awesome story, amazing fucking designs. Dreamworks hit this one right out of the park.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Ah, glad to hear it. The previews looked horrible, but maybe I should have some hope for this after all.

Thanks
    I thought it was awesome. Previews didn't do it justice. I want to work on stuff like that.

Thanks
    So, it actually has genuine characters and humor, and a compelling story? It's not just a typical mishmash of cliched, unintelligent cardboard characters, overused jokes, and obnoxious pop culture references? I must confess that I've come to expect the latter from non-Pixar animated films.

Thanks
    Whoa, I agree that the trailers looked pretty bad. And I thought the Black dragon's design was bland and ununique, but that dragon's facial expressions were truly the highlight of the movie. I don't know how they're going to top this movie.

I saw it in normal dimension, I'll probably go back to see it in 3-D.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    So, it actually has genuine characters and humor, and a compelling story? It's not just a typical mishmash of cliched, unintelligent cardboard characters, overused jokes, and obnoxious pop culture references? I must confess that I've come to expect the latter from non-Pixar animated films.
    Well, there's one CGI movie called Ark that was made in 2004 by the same people behind FF: The Spirits Within, but far superior in terms of story, characters, design, etc. Plus, there's Renaissance, which was made in 2007 using rotoscoped CGI. Both of them are worth checking out. As for this new Dragon flick, I have mixed feelings towards Dreamworks with the first two Shrek films that I liked; Robots was decent, but not great; TMNT '07 was middling, as was Happily N'ever After; Shrek the Third tried to be good, but ended up falling flat on its face. Keep in mind that I haven't seen the previews.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    I thought Over the Hedge and Flushed Away were pretty good.
    I agree with Over the Hedge, seeing they made such great character personalities, but Flushed Away didn't grip me as much. Though I like the style a lot.

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I agree the trailers didn't do it justice at all. Recommended!

Thanks
    After waiting for the movie for about a year, and having very high expectations, it really met all of them. I really enjoyed it and was awed by the animation, and the textures. It's now on my favorites list :3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    It was really great for an animated film, and I loved that Jonsi had a song during the credits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Absolutely stunning film! What a gripping story, wonderful characters and fantastic music. I've been anticipating it as well for some time and was definitely happy with the results. I saw in it German, though (as I currently reside in Germany), but I'm looking forward to seeing it again in English already!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Hmmm. This just proves you can't judge a book by its cover. Like every1 else said, the previews weren't too great, and, for me, the real kicker was the title. I guess I've come to unfairly disrespect the most recent dreamworks animated movies because their titles. I mean, come on... Aliens vs. Monsters? That sounds amazingly creative and witty, doesn't it? How to Train Your Dragon sounds just as lame. However, glad to hear it isn't. maybe I'll go see it sometime.

Thanks
    Looking forward ot seeing this one. A lot.

As far as non-Pixar stuff goes I thought Kung-Fu Panda was excellent.

Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    I haven't seen it yet, but from the great reviews here I might just have to...
    The part which always gets me in the trailer is the part in the field with the sheep... I can't help but laugh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    This was probably my favorite of the Dreamworks Animations. I'm glad they weren't trying to get by on being cute and just made a straightforward story with solid visuals. I don't think you can say that they've accomplished anything as inventive as Pixar with this, but it's still a lot better, IMO, than what they have put out before.

As for the non-Pixar flicks... Surf's Up was a good one.

Thanks
    I agree, Surf's Up is very good, and quite underappreciated. I confess I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda, Flushed Away, or Over the Hedge, but all of the non-Pixar animations I've seen lately, either in part or in full (Ice Age 2, Horton Hears a Who, Monsters vs. Aliens, Bee Movie, Meet the Robinsons, Shrek 3), have been either pretty mediocre or downright awful and stupid. I seem to have poor judgment and bad luck when it comes to choosing the animated movies I see.
    Anyway, prolly gonna see this either this weekend or this next week. Hopefully it will redeem my moviegoing experience of last weekend (Clash of the Titans...shudder).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    this
    movie
    was
    AWESOME.
    i just got back from cinema...GO VIEW IT! that was the most thought trough story i've seen in a LONG time. everything made perfect sense to me,and not one scene was boring. i had quite some chuckles, MANY "whoa man" moments, and some "oh fuck" ones.
    seriously,this was perfect.
    new favourite animated movie.
    edit: now that i've actually seen the trailer,i can agree that yes,the movie is much better than insinuated.

Last edited by Carnifex; April 10th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Great movie, I was really suprised how good it was. Untill now, Dreamworks have imo not been that good at all. With this movie, they have really redeemed themselves, maybe going to see it again.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    I loved it, too!!
    But I agree with ChristianWeeks, the title sounds kinda lame...
    But it's an awesome movie nonetheless!
    I so want to have the 'Art of How to Train Your Dragon' book. Love the designs

Thanks
    This movie was very good! I'm glad it lived up to all the rave reviews. It's tied with Surf's Up, in my opinion, as the Dreamworks animation that comes closest to Pixar's level in creating genuine characters and humor. The design work was great! I loved Toothless's expressions and body language.
    There are only two things I would change about it. First, I would have liked the rest of the dragon fighting trainees to be fleshed out more. They were good characters, especially the overconfident one, but I don't think we got to know them enough. Secondly, the dragons were awesome, but show more of them! I wanted to see more of the species from the book!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Well this is a surprise. I'm going to see it this weekend but was going to do so with ... well not the highest expectations... Then again I didn't think Bolt was going to be that great either, and was happily mistaken.

Looking forward to seeing it! Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    This movie was very good! I'm glad it lived up to all the rave reviews. It's tied with Surf's Up, in my opinion, as the Dreamworks animation that comes closest to Pixar's level in creating genuine characters and humor. The design work was great! I loved Toothless's expressions and body language.
    Wait wasn't it Sony that made Surf's Up? Or was it Dreamworks too?

Btw I just gotta say the trailer certainly made me not wan't to see the movie, it had to come to a friend convincing me to see it. What is up with movietrailers nowadays?! They suck!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Yeah, kinda come to the conclusion that if an animation has a bad trailer then it might be worth looking into. From what I can gather they work so much on the actual movie that the trailer only just has enough time to be slapped together to get an advertising presence .... not sure how accurate that assumption is though.

Thanks
    Got out of the theater over an hour ago - still can't wipe the smile from my face. During the film, there were genuine moments of tears of joy. Pure joy.

Toothless, quite frankly, is one of the best animated characters in a LONG time; if not, ever. Hats off to that character's animators as they obviously spent a lot of time studying the behaviours of both cats and dogs. Wow.

John Powell's score is pitch perfect, too! Without that score, I doubt the movie would have been that effective. Never been a big fan of Dreamworks, but that changes with THIS movie. And from what I've heard, Pixar also had a hand in the production.

This movie was soaring and a whole effin loads of fun. The art/animation was a joy to behold as it ALL was in service to the story. All you had to do was sit back and enjoy.

And I saw it in 2d! A 3d viewing is definitely happening later this week.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Wait wasn't it Sony that made Surf's Up?
    Yes, It was a Sony pic.

Thanks
    Well heck, I guess I should have looked that up.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I enjoyed it more than Avatar. Granted Avatar had some AMAZING visuals, but How to Train Your Dragon was less pretentious. I had a great time and actually wouldn't mind seeing it again. Chris Sanders has this knack for making really wide headed creatures extremely enjoyable. Now I want to add Toothless to my insane Stitch Collection.

Attached Images Attached Images  

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just wish you could find more memorabilia to this movie! Only Wal-Mart is selling the figures and, when I tried hunting for figures the other day, virtually all stores their pegs were EMPTY. Only one had a few figures left!

I dare you to try and find a decent looking plushie of Toothless anywhere too! Unless it's custom made the store bought stuff is pretty lame looking. I might just learn how to sew at this point so I can have a nice looking dragon plushie!

I'm with Patricia too! I saw it in 2D and I think this Sat I'll see it in 3D.

Thanks
    Someone share with me, please.

How did this movie differ from your usual Dreamworks picture? I usually stray from them like the plague, because I'm not one for butt jokes and other oh-so-popular "kid" humor.

This looked like a good movie, though, and I kinda wanted to see it. But I swear to god if I wind up seeing another kung fu panda or madagascar I'll gouge one of my eyes out.

Help? My wife and I are kinda interested in seeing the cute dragon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.