Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Penvirate's Sketchbook - "No one fucks around with our art."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Note: the forum boards are real ornery at this moment-- can't see cygear's post and all SB thumbnails are Red X's as well.

Zombie Anubis: humanoid, dead, carrying a weapon. (Graphite and prisma on Strathmore 400).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CyGear View Post
    Well, Hello Folks,
    after many tries to create a humanoid who looks corpse-like, I have finished with this one. I think I did it in a good way. What do you think about it?(My scanner is a piece of shit. It never scans the whole pic.)
    Violent presentation not bad! One of the leg looks as if it's been sent into a mill grinder. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Zombie Anubis: humanoid, dead, carrying a weapon. (Graphite and prisma on Strathmore 400).
    I concede....your perspective is way ahead of mine. The weapon looks like one of those modern mops, though! :p

Anyway, below is my homework for Diarum:
    The Penvirate's Sketchbook - "No one fucks around with our art."

Photo ref for the head, and I referenced from one of my books for the entire body, weapons from imagination.
    I believe this is the 1st time I ever draw such a thing like this, since all my drawings are on still life and models' faces in magazines.

It's fun to draw (thanks to Diarum for his idea), but I can't help but feel it looks like a 3-year old's drawing.

Now, PermaNoob is the last!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice

Hehe,
    damned....I have forgotten the weapon...>.<
    Uhm, let us say, his hands are his weapons
    Xeon's one looks like an underworld warrior, coming to kill all of us....*cough* sorry..XD...

I burst out into laugh when I read Xeon's comment to Kamber's one. His weapon really looks like one of this new modern mops. At least, yours have a weapon...-.-
    In addition, your pic reminds me of "The Mumie"...I have seen that movie so many times, hehe.

And Diarum's one is really great. Did you use a reference photo or was it by imagination?

I did not used a reference photo....I sat on my bed in the evening and had this picture in my mind....

So, PermaNoob is the onliest one who misses.
    gogogo

Best
    CyGear

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyGear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cygear - lol I think your the only one (so far) who got the dynamic pose out of the 3 of you lol on another note anatomy could use some work (lol like the rest of us) the exploding foot looks cool
    Kamber Parrk - lol you guy looks like a window washer heh and looks like he about to clean too lol.
    Xeon_OND - ....what the hell is that? LOL guess your line quality isn't so good when your not doing it from life huh LMAO!! is he wearing invisible pants lol? that carpet with the chain coming out of it is humorous, and the face is priceless like a pig mixed with a something else (couldn't think of anything lol) its ok it nothing that can't be worked on over time

As for mine, it was from imagination, lol I don't think there is even a picture that looks like that pose. Never looked so I guess I wouldn't know huh... lol
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Diarum: That's pretty good for an imagination study. And, that worm-like head is really creepy. Crit: a little ref could'a helped to make the leg bone fragments a bit more organic looking. But, good overall!

CyGear: The perspective you chose to render your figure in was not easy-- good job! Hah! You told on yourself! Your figure looks like it took a bullet to the head-- so I was willing to think that bullet fragments met Diarum's requirements of a weapon through the body. Crit: perspective-wise, I'd say the mouth and jaw region could use a little reworking to make them look a bit more 3D and conform to the overall good perspective of the body.

Xeon: I think you made the hurdle of creating an "anthromorph." BTW, saw the ref pig head in your SB--really creepy-- where's that from? The padded arm sickle chain weapon is pretty creative. Crit: though you made a pretty solid body, hands and feet are bit below the level of quality I know you're up to from your SB-- but, I qualify my crit knowing that trying to keep all the elements of a piece on track in a timely manner is pretty hard-- and you didn't crap out and hide the hands and feet or leave them in under-developed Bridgman-like structures-- like I did.

To all: Man, you guys are hard-- but honest! When I got my zombie to the point I figured I could call him done, I stepped back and thought-- "crap! it looks like I have him holding a polo mallet! [Umm, maybe no one'll notice. . .] So, Xeon's mop reference just about made be fall off my chair laughing! And, the dynamic pose I was kinda shooting for was a variation of Jack Nicholson's "Heeeeere's Johnny!" entrance through the door with an axe in "The Shining." But, yeah, he does kinda look more like: "Um, we're about done with the windows mam, will that be cash or check?"

So, guess we're all just waiting for PermaN00b's entry and. . . assignment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

XD....awesome

Kamber: That's really funny because I am reading "The Shining" at the moment in order to improve my english skills. It is hilarious and you comparison with this book is awesome....XD

Well, thanks for the comments and thanks for your critic. After I had finished my pic half, I saw that the chest and his jaw is not drawing the way it should be. The body is too flat and his jawe looks creepy.

Well. I'm looking forward to PermaNoob's assignemt. Diarum's one was funny. I had a lot of fun.

Best
    CyGear

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyGear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok guys, sorry i am late on this one. i have been struggling with a bit of lazyness and procrastination this past week. took a mental health weekend, (ie: did some heavy drinking, lol). but anyway, im gonna get this posted withing the next day or two. as for the next assignment if you want to get started. i was thinking an environment/landscape. not a lot of rules on this one. can be from reference, looking out your window, completely from imagination, or whatever else you can think of. it can be natural, cityscape, suburban, scifi, whatever. just so long as it's some type of environment. i think the main focuses on this one will probably be perspective and maybe rendering. just keep it loose and worry about the "big picture" well anyway, once again i apologize for being late on this one. ill get it posted asap.

cheers all,
    perm

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did not used a reference photo....I sat on my bed in the evening and had this picture in my mind....
    To be able to draw a humanoid-thing in that kind of perspective all from imagination and still have it look credible is no easy feat! You must have truly strong mental visualization abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Xeon_OND - ....what the hell is that? LOL guess your line quality isn't so good when your not doing it from life huh LMAO!! is he wearing invisible pants lol? that carpet with the chain coming out of it is humorous, and the face is priceless like a pig mixed with a something else (couldn't think of anything lol) its ok it nothing that can't be worked on over time
    It's the Pig from Hell! No, it's not invisible pants; I delibrately made it that way to show the underlying legs, otherwise if it's obscured by the pants, it looks boring.

As for mine, it was from imagination, lol I don't think there is even a picture that looks like that pose. Never looked so I guess I wouldn't know huh... lol
    As you said previously, drawing from imagination = extra points, so there! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    BTW, saw the ref pig head in your SB--really creepy-- where's that from? The padded arm sickle chain weapon is pretty creative. Crit: though you made a pretty solid body, hands and feet are bit below the level of quality I know you're up to from your SB-- but, I qualify my crit knowing that trying to keep all the elements of a piece on track in a timely manner is pretty hard-- and you didn't crap out and hide the hands and feet or leave them in under-developed Bridgman-like structures-- like I did.
    LOL, the hands and feet in the reference photo which I based the body on is too small, so I just drew in the hands and feet as if they're covered by mittens (general shape of hand, no fingers etc).
    And for the pig head's ref, go to Google Image search for images larger than 1024 * 768 pixels, and type "pig's head".

To all: Man, you guys are hard-- but honest! When I got my zombie to the point I figured I could call him done, I stepped back and thought-- "crap! it looks like I have him holding a polo mallet! [Umm, maybe no one'll notice. . .] So, Xeon's mop reference just about made be fall off my chair laughing!
    Anubis is visiting the neighborhood homes for some house cleaning!

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    ok guys, sorry i am late on this one. i have been struggling with a bit of lazyness and procrastination this past week. took a mental health weekend, (ie: did some heavy drinking, lol). but anyway, im gonna get this posted withing the next day or two. as for the next assignment if you want to get started. i was thinking an environment/landscape. not a lot of rules on this one. can be from reference, looking out your window, completely from imagination, or whatever else you can think of. it can be natural, cityscape, suburban, scifi, whatever. just so long as it's some type of environment. i think the main focuses on this one will probably be perspective and maybe rendering. just keep it loose and worry about the "big picture" well anyway, once again i apologize for being late on this one. ill get it posted asap.
    cheers all,
    perm
    OK, no problem! We're all waiting for your next assignment.
    After that, it will be CyGear's turn.

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks

Next Assignment? me?

Xeon:
    PermaNoob's Assignment is drawing a landscape/environmental pic....or so.
    Well, I do not know now if I have to give an assignment to you?
    Have I?
    By the way, thanks for your comment on my ablities....

PermaNoob:
    Hey dude,
    firstly I thought it would be an interesting assignment and of course it is but I think I am going to think about another one...

Best
    CyGear

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CyGear For This Useful Post:

Thanks

cheers all,
    perm
    No problem! (Actually thought I'd be the one stretching the deadline this time!) But, if it happens too often, we're going to dress CyGear up in a dog suit, arm him with a mop, and send him to assassinate you!

I think you've given us enough info to work with. (I've been wanting to do, maybe, a watercolor landscape anyway-- so, looking forward to it!)

Thanks
    ok guys. lemme start off by apologizing for not being around much the past few days. seems like everyone has been posting and commenting and just generally being productive, so kudos penvirate!

everyone's posts look great. seems as though you've all given a lot of good comments and crit so i won't rehash what's already been said. ill just give a couple quick comments.
    diarum i like where you were going with the character. seems like an original and creative concept. but because it's so original i would really have liked to have seen more of the head. as it stands i can get an idea of what the creature is like but i just feel like i want him to move his arm so i can see his face. XD
    cygear very impressive pose from imagination. imagine what you could have done from a reference!
    kamber love the egyptian theme. the head looks great. interesting work with the perspective. is he leaning out of a window? perhaps getting ready to wash it? would like to see you finish this one by filling in the rest of the structure he's in. also, can i get his number? my floors are a mess. XD lol.
    xeonok man, you got on me once for praising you too much so... prepare for the wrath! lol. but really, the head looks great. the anatomy needs work, but considering you haven't done much anatomy study i think you did alright. but transparent pants? EL-OH-EL man. i know you already explained it. but honestly it hurts the piece more than it helps. just makes things unnecesarily confusing. i know how you feel about adding more to a piece because you think it's not interesting enough. but sometimes we have to just know when to leave out details even more than when to add them. oh, and erase your damn construction lines! but great job. head looks great and the weapons are cool. he looks scary as shit man.

so... on to my piece of crap, i mean art. lol. sorry guys, i know this one is obviously a rush job i did the entire thing last night. i would have liked to have spent more time on it but i didn't want it to be any later than it already is. due to the time limits the entire thing was done in one sitting, (with a dinner break) without any references. but i am kind of a zombie nut so i guess i have a good bit of reference in my head. as a result though i know the anatomy suffered a good bit and just generally i feel like i would have liked to have added a lot more. but my love for zombies and resulting aspirations to create an awesome ghoulish monster far outweigh my current abilities so...

here he is. Walking Dead High School's very own javelin impaled track and field star...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xeon:
    PermaNoob's Assignment is drawing a landscape/environmental pic....or so.
    Well, I do not know now if I have to give an assignment to you?
    Nah, after we're done with PermanNoob's assignment, then it's your turn to give an assignment, based on the rooster.

so... on to my piece of crap, i mean art. lol. sorry guys, i know this one is obviously a rush job i did the entire thing last night. i would have liked to have spent more time on it but i didn't want it to be any later than it already is. due to the time limits the entire thing was done in one sitting, (with a dinner break) without any references. but i am kind of a zombie nut so i guess i have a good bit of reference in my head. as a result though i know the anatomy suffered a good bit and just generally i feel like i would have liked to have added a lot more. but my love for zombies and resulting aspirations to create an awesome ghoulish monster far outweigh my current abilities so...

here he is. Walking Dead High School's very own javelin impaled track and field star...
    Damn, Perm, you take the cake this time. I dunno what to say.
    Everytime, your finished works look as if they come out straight from a comic book! Same goes for that girl and teddy bear painting you did some time back.
    Seeing your clean work has inspired me to get rid of all those construction lines in my future Penvirate drawings.

Now, maybe you could advise a deadline for your landscape assignment?
    Landscape drawing? Damn, I don't even know how to begin! LOL

See you guys,
    Xeon

Thanks

Perma

PermaNoob:
    You have choosen the wrong name...
    Your zombie looks really great. I even would say the best one of all. There are
    some things missing like the zombie's shadow or a more detailed view of the intestines.
    This assignment was very cool.

Hope the next is going to be the same.

best
    CyGear

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast