Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    ok guys. lemme start off by apologizing for not being around much the past few days. seems like everyone has been posting and commenting and just generally being productive, so kudos penvirate!

everyone's posts look great. seems as though you've all given a lot of good comments and crit so i won't rehash what's already been said. ill just give a couple quick comments.
    diarum i like where you were going with the character. seems like an original and creative concept. but because it's so original i would really have liked to have seen more of the head. as it stands i can get an idea of what the creature is like but i just feel like i want him to move his arm so i can see his face. XD
    cygear very impressive pose from imagination. imagine what you could have done from a reference!
    kamber love the egyptian theme. the head looks great. interesting work with the perspective. is he leaning out of a window? perhaps getting ready to wash it? would like to see you finish this one by filling in the rest of the structure he's in. also, can i get his number? my floors are a mess. XD lol.
    xeonok man, you got on me once for praising you too much so... prepare for the wrath! lol. but really, the head looks great. the anatomy needs work, but considering you haven't done much anatomy study i think you did alright. but transparent pants? EL-OH-EL man. i know you already explained it. but honestly it hurts the piece more than it helps. just makes things unnecesarily confusing. i know how you feel about adding more to a piece because you think it's not interesting enough. but sometimes we have to just know when to leave out details even more than when to add them. oh, and erase your damn construction lines! but great job. head looks great and the weapons are cool. he looks scary as shit man.

so... on to my piece of crap, i mean art. lol. sorry guys, i know this one is obviously a rush job i did the entire thing last night. i would have liked to have spent more time on it but i didn't want it to be any later than it already is. due to the time limits the entire thing was done in one sitting, (with a dinner break) without any references. but i am kind of a zombie nut so i guess i have a good bit of reference in my head. as a result though i know the anatomy suffered a good bit and just generally i feel like i would have liked to have added a lot more. but my love for zombies and resulting aspirations to create an awesome ghoulish monster far outweigh my current abilities so...

here he is. Walking Dead High School's very own javelin impaled track and field star...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CyGear View Post
    Xeon:
    PermaNoob's Assignment is drawing a landscape/environmental pic....or so.
    Well, I do not know now if I have to give an assignment to you?
    Nah, after we're done with PermanNoob's assignment, then it's your turn to give an assignment, based on the rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    so... on to my piece of crap, i mean art. lol. sorry guys, i know this one is obviously a rush job i did the entire thing last night. i would have liked to have spent more time on it but i didn't want it to be any later than it already is. due to the time limits the entire thing was done in one sitting, (with a dinner break) without any references. but i am kind of a zombie nut so i guess i have a good bit of reference in my head. as a result though i know the anatomy suffered a good bit and just generally i feel like i would have liked to have added a lot more. but my love for zombies and resulting aspirations to create an awesome ghoulish monster far outweigh my current abilities so...

here he is. Walking Dead High School's very own javelin impaled track and field star...
    Damn, Perm, you take the cake this time. I dunno what to say.
    Everytime, your finished works look as if they come out straight from a comic book! Same goes for that girl and teddy bear painting you did some time back.
    Seeing your clean work has inspired me to get rid of all those construction lines in my future Penvirate drawings.

Now, maybe you could advise a deadline for your landscape assignment?
    Landscape drawing? Damn, I don't even know how to begin! LOL

See you guys,
    Xeon

Thanks

Perma

PermaNoob:
    You have choosen the wrong name...
    Your zombie looks really great. I even would say the best one of all. There are
    some things missing like the zombie's shadow or a more detailed view of the intestines.
    This assignment was very cool.

Hope the next is going to be the same.

best
    CyGear

Thanks
    Don't sell your selfs short lol. It is a good one I will give you that Though the staff doesn't have any weight to it. Your right some of the anatomy is off like the (our right)right knee like its not connected right.
    I would say to Xeon that lol it looks so good because its digital
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Hey PermaN00b-- pretty dang good!

I think your's is the only one that immediately identifies as a zombie. (And, you did a good job on that left hand perspective). Crit: more on the environment than the figure-- I see he's on a pathway of sorts, but the linework showing that is a little confusing-- probably wouldn't be if it were painted/rendered though. [I think it's that middle line in the path that's messing with it a bit.]

Thanks
    One thing I'm impressed with Perm's drawing is that foreshortened hand that's pointing towards us. To be able to draw a credible hand in this kind of perspective = Hawt

Ok, now, let's start working on Perm's landscape assignment!

Thanks
    hi all. thanks for all the great comments! you guys are too kind. once again i feel like a lazy bastard because you are all obviously hard at work drawing and posting and i am not. it has been cold and rainy where i live for the past 2 months almost and the weather finally broke this past week, soooo, i have been playing outside a lot. which means i haven't been drawing like i should be. but enough excuses from me.
    xeon, you asked about the deadline for the assignment. i figured we'd just stick to what we've been doing, so the fist of june i guess. thanks for the comic book comment btw. comic illustration is definitely my passion. so that's a huge compliment.
    cygear thanks man. good catch on that shadow! how did i miss that? lol. also i agree i would have like to have done more detail in the intestines and really in the gore altogether.
    diarumthanks man. yeah you are right about the javelin. it is definitely lacking volume and weight. it looks kind of like a toothpick suspended in jello. XD
    kamber thank you. yeah i agree about those path lines. they were supposed to be the lanes on the track. they are def a bit off and a little confusing though. the perspective was tough. i haven't done any work in that area yet and it shows.

thanks guys, can't wait to see the environments!

Thanks
    So yea, man this took me like 10 hours in total, not sure I enjoy digital as much as trad. but then again I just did like 20 failed picture with it so that could be why lol.

heres my enviroment
    Attachment 988599

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    So yea, man this took me like 10 hours in total, not sure I enjoy digital as much as trad. but then again I just did like 20 failed picture with it so that could be why lol.

heres my enviroment
    Attachment 988599
    Good try! The white mountains in the center is the best!

Anyway, my drawing for PermaNoob's bi-weekly drawing:
    The Penvirate's Sketchbook - "No one fucks around with our art."

It's a copy from a drawing in Barrington David's "Advanced Drawing Skills" book. It gives a sense of tranquility.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Building Beyond the Ornamental Bridge. (Winsor & Newton Cotman WC on Canson cold press block).

An incomplete study, but decided to post before I really wreck it, uh, I mean finish it. . .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xeon_OND - Looks good, but can't help but feel like you could have pushed the values a little more to give it more depth and to Add more detail cause there is only like 3 things going on, the trees, hills, and the man in the boat and the reflection in the water is wrong (at least it seems to be to me) but the hill on the top part of the picture comes higher then the tree but in the reflection the tree come higher then the hill (could be the angle that the "picture is done" (and that was on the left) But on the right there is no difference between hill and tree. Lol just what I noticed!
    Kamber Parrk - Nothing really to say I can't really see much wrong with it, right this moment but I'll let you know if I do

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Xeon_OND - Looks good, but can't help but feel like you could have pushed the values a little more to give it more depth and to Add more detail cause there is only like 3 things going on, the trees, hills, and the man in the boat and the reflection in the water is wrong (at least it seems to be to me) but the hill on the top part of the picture comes higher then the tree but in the reflection the tree come higher then the hill (could be the angle that the "picture is done" (and that was on the left) But on the right there is no difference between hill and tree. Lol just what I noticed!
    Kamber Parrk - Nothing really to say I can't really see much wrong with it, right this moment but I'll let you know if I do
    Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
    We need more folks like you, Diarum!

@ Kamber: LOL, never thought you would come up with such an exquisite looking ornamental bridge!

Now, we're left with only Perma and CyGear.
    Both of them should be playing in the sun now, so we take it slow and wait for them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Diarum: Thanks! (I'm sure when I get around to finishing it there will be many glaring errors.)

I think your layout drawing for your painting is fairly good-- definitely know I'm looking at a mountain meadow of some sort. Re values, you've gotten enough feedback in your SB on this. Plus, not doing digital, I don't have the background to offer specific useful tips.

Xeon: The actual bridge is an elegant exercise in pointless overkill! Yours is a simple but effective drawing. Main crit: the tree reflections aren't spikey pointy like the trees.

Well, when the others get done, I think it's CyGear's turn to give the assignment.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi guys, great jobs on the assignment! i gotta say i am super impressed all around by the submissions so far. ill just give a quick comment for each piece.

diarum great job man! i love the fact that you went digital for this one. your colors are very vibrant and the perspect looks really good. also i see that you tried to add some texture. just a little tip, when painting digitally and using texture brushes try to vary some settings like, size, opacity, roundness, hardness etc. this will give you a more natural and random look. not that i am an expert but i have had some of my "personal" best experiences using these methods. also starting with a really big brush and working down seems to give a good balance.

xeon as always great work. i like how the perspective of your piece is very straightfoward and simple but you have used value to bring out the sense of depth and distance. very well done. i do feel like the tree reflections could have used a bit of cleaning and the water could have used some areas of more reflective highlite. (ie: white) but as a whole it comes across well.

kamber beautiful watercolors man. i am always stunned by your courage and versatility when it comes to working with different mediums. and you always manage to pull it off. the colors are vibrant and natural, honestly i love it. without mentioning obvious crits related to the fact that it is unfinished (pencil lines etc.) i would only say that it feels a bit tight perspective wise. but, considering the fact that when i look at it i can't help but feel like it must have been wonderful to sit next that bridge and draw it, i can't even complain about that much. you've definately managed to draw me in with this one man. well done.

ok, so now on to my submission. firstly, sorry i didn't have this turned in last night. i actually had it finished but i couldn't decide which version to show. i have 2 versions, and in the end i decided to show the one with less detail. (which means that the extra hours i spent on the other are for naught. doh!)
    i did this entirely on my ipad using the "brushes" painting app. it is the view from my back deck looking across my yard to my neighbor's house. there are a lot of things wrong with it, but i just got tired of fiddling with it. i just got to a point where i figured it would only get worse if i kept messing with it. the difference between this version and the other is that on the other version i painted all of the siding onto the house. it seemed like a good idea at the time because i could make it out from where i was. but when it was finished and i looked at it, all the extra lines just made it look busy. oh, and i screwed up my neighbors house as well. i made it about twenty feet too short lengthwise so i had to cut out a row of windows. but i gues you guys would never know that unless i told you. doh! there i go again. lol, anyway here it is.
    (ps: if you guys want to see the other version let me know an ill up it.)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    PermaN00b - That looks great, I can see what you mean when it doesn't look right, the house and bushes don't line up (assuming that they do in RL) the house in the background look like a weird perspective. Other then that good job.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast