C.O.W. #172 5 Legs and SuperVision Posting_WIPS thread - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadoworen117: If you say so. I am just pointing out what I see. I can not read peoples mind. If I say I see arms, hand and fingers, you should take it as a suggestion to try and fix your illustration so that when someone views it he will not fall in my same "error".

I am having the same problem with my creature.

Ciao

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dictionary definition for "leg"

"either of the two lower limbs of a biped, as a human being, or any of the paired limbs of an animal, arthropod, etc., that support and move the body."

As far as I know, even if it looks like a hand, in my concept it's paired, and both supports and moves the body, despite the fact that 2 of the legs have limbs that look like fingers.. for all you know they could be long toes, similar to what a monkey would have. The imagination stretches far, and by definition, I've got 5 legs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair enough!
    Ciao

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  5legs-vision.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  311.2 KB

here's where I'm at. probably have another update late tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo13 View Post
    Shadoworen117: If you say so. I am just pointing out what I see. I can not read peoples mind. If I say I see arms, hand and fingers, you should take it as a suggestion to try and fix your illustration so that when someone views it he will not fall in my same "error".

I am having the same problem with my creature.

Ciao

Hey man i love the drawing! can't wait to see it painted. The idea is pretty funny too haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i second what somebody said above - many creatures with 3 legs+2arms here...

paolo, cool sketching style + lighting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an update. worked quite a bit tonight. c&c welcome.Name:  5legs-vision2.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  280.3 KB

Natzuur-JK is offline Arrrggghhh im a..... ninja? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emerging: Wow thats looking really great. You def set the bar high early on.

Paolo13: Excellent functionality for the fifth leg, nice line work. Cant wait to see more!

Reymus: Like the style, keep the rendering coming.

Shadoworen117: Don't call it done yet, clean up some of the lines and try pushing the values a bit more. The idea itself is nice.

Here's my rough sketch, much more to go.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natzuur-JK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadoworen117 - If your creature has eyes in the knees, it seems more of an aesthetic choice than a functional one. Knees bend a LOT, and at full stretch or full compression there would be a LOT of pressure and stress on that eyeball. Would it be better to have a series of smaller eyes above the knee area to avoid the eyeballs exploding when the creature ran?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These aren't regular eyes. They more just look like regular eyes, but all it is, is a pupil and retina underneath the layers of skin. The knees are as hard, and sturdy as knees can be. The purpose for the pupil/retina to be where it is, is basically super peripheral vision. When the creature runs/walks, it's knees see to all sides.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys here is my take on this one, finally had time today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoworen117 View Post
    These aren't regular eyes. They more just look like regular eyes, but all it is, is a pupil and retina underneath the layers of skin. The knees are as hard, and sturdy as knees can be. The purpose for the pupil/retina to be where it is, is basically super peripheral vision. When the creature runs/walks, it's knees see to all sides.
    yeah but there are couple reasons why most if not all animals have their eyes in the place that is stabilized the most and doesn't move much. First is of course to get a direct link to the brain so that what we see has least delay possible. Second is in the occasion of performing movements especially running, jumping etc. Even let's say it is possible for this creature to sustain the pressure on the eyes in the knees. Imagine your eyes on your elbows or knees and you run really fast - what's going to happen? There won't much use to those eyes since everything will be going up and down like crazy and blurring all together. Arms and legs are the things that move the most and fastest during motion and that's why having eyes on your elbows or knees doesn't seem like a valid design feature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emerging, Natzuur-jk: Glad you guys like it, but I do not think I will color it. I will just add some white chalk and work on the presentation. Doing all those lines is time consuming, so I think is going to be worth keeping it with this style. I am doing the Eow as well, so I need to balance my time.

Ciao

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting topic with some already really creative takes!

Emerging: image is coming out good dude. Fun idea, pretty dynamic. BUT - in the back of my head, I was thinking that its hard to tell the 5 leg idea looking at it as a concept. I actually scrolled back up to double take that they were there.

If I had to suggest something, a standing pose for the female on an angle to see how the legs look while on the ground - right now, basically the same pose on both characters for the rear. It would also make the male look like a total showoff while she conciders the mate...little more ritual. My two cents!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow some scary looking creatures in here!

I've never tried COW but I think I'm gonna give it a go this time.

ah but it's hard. Five legs, I could barely make sense of it.

Anyways the best reason for having a fifth I thought would be for quicker turns. So if the creature is running really fast and it spots some other danger coming from a different direction it would just drop one of its legs and lift the other to keep running the other way. Am I making sense or did this all read like gibberish?

well here is my little sketch.
    Name:  172wip.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  84.9 KB
    I figured I'd have to show two of the thing for better view. But I'm confusing myself with the left one since I was trying to show the pivot but am totally failing. I'll keep trying though.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose no matter what I'm drawing, there will always be some sort of question in my mind about it. A work of art (even cartoon art) is never really finished; it is abandoned.
    _ Brooke McEldowney,

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated WIP, added secondary forelimbs to the main legs. I couldn't figure out a better way of adding two more limbs without making the fifth superficial.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArtMinionAndrew: I think your first idea for the back legs was more balanced. You could try giving him a longer trunk and add two forward legs, like a sort of centurion. Or anyway produce more body space to find different solutions.
    Ciao

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work Emerging.

So why are you all having such a hard time with the five leg idea? I know it's tough, but it's not impossible. You should've seen what we had to do back in the day with the six legged creature. Now that was damn near mind shattering.
    Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, quit all the bitching please and figure it out.

Love you guys.

P.S. I am seeing a lot of arms being included in the leg conflaguration, but as long as they're used for locomotion, that's all I care about. Don't forget about the special vision!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging - dynamite! what a great flow!

lark! wow man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...is anybody else having trouble viewing a few of these images? They are partially grayed out for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well looks like i cant do this one cuz my damn tablet pen broke! i guess its not so bad though, this is a tough one. 5 legs is kinda rediculous. and scorge i think 6 legs is a lot easier because you can at least make it symmetrical. anyway good luck to everybody
    emerging, thats lookin legit

29. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hey guys,

Been lurking here for a while, made some starts, but never got around to posting/finishing anything, but this time I at least wanted to give it a try.
    So, here is my 5-legged supervision critter:

To elaborate; It's fifth leg/arm basically catapults it into a high flying jump, so that it can surprise its prey from above.
    Its supervision consists of two pairs of eyes; one of which are located where most eyes ar located, and one of which is located in the jaw, to make it possible to look down during 'flight'.
    Comments and crits would be much appreciated

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Guberuken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guberuken - You're already showing the leaping action through a diagram, you could make your main piece a relaxed pose. Think of lions/cats sitting, or prowling.

Update, lots to go still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at work now so just quick question guys
    you think i should do a run sequence sketches for my creature too for those who might be confused as to how it moves? just because ive seen someone is having trouble imagining how it would work and i can see why they might feel that way. But i do have a clear image of how it moves around. I have an update at home of a pretty much done piece so i'm wondering if i should use the rest of the time i have to show the diagram for creatures animated sequence? what you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GUBURKIN- I really like yours but I could see it with a bit more of a membrane between the front and back legs, and a less 'hand' looking middle foot.

Cheers
    -DDW

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging: I think that's a great idea. You really busted out an awesome piece quickly. Might as well use the rest of the time to add in anyway you can, And a run sequence would work perfect.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Emerging: I don't think it's entirely necessary to do full on extra frames. If it was a series of profile silhouettes I think it would work equally well to demonstrate how it runs/leaps/bounds. I feel like making full on frames would be excessive.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Supersketchy again... based on greyhound, again, combined with Velociraptor. The back legs come up at a full run to snatch prey with the large claws. The feathers serve to confuse prey and trap them. The back legs must be used to walk at slower speeds because the 3-legged gait is unstable.

Name:  COW_172_wip1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  180.9 KB

One advantage of 5 legs is that each one can be thinner, thus making the creature faster.

I'm debating whether or not to keep the feathers.

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging : I don't think you need it, the movement is quite apparent -to me at least-. It might be a nice touch of course, but I recon you're good as is.

I might suggest adding to the background instead (although who knows what you've done with the latest version), maybe put in some sort of obstacle so as to accentuate the leaping motion of the creature closest to us.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.