View testimonialsGet Two Free Art Videos

View Poll Results: Vote for you favorite 5 legged beasty with super vision!

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • JKennard

2 3.23%
  • (lark

3 4.84%
  • JanJager

1 1.61%
  • ninety9

1 1.61%
  • Shadoworen117

1 1.61%
  • oren90

0 0%
  • maxrlx

1 1.61%
  • lancer idenoure

3 4.84%
  • emerging

44 70.97%
  • Paolo13

3 4.84%
  • nram

1 1.61%
  • Reymus

1 1.61%
  • skullbeast

1 1.61%
  • kylexitron

0 0%
  • Lege1

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 435 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #172 Five Legs and Super-Vision Voting!

C.O.W. #172 Five Legs and Super-Vision- VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #172 VOTING

Topic: Five Legs and Super-Vision

Deadline for the voting: Sunday April 11th, 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=185202

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; April 9th, 2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JKennard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  5legs-vision(final).jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  189.5 KB

Artist: (lark

Concept: chromaton
    the chromaton has the very unique ability to suck in light color from its surroundings, then ingests, and processes it into energy. in other words it eats color. the color it ingests, while nourishing it, also serves another need. the chromaton can measure the direction, distance, and amount of the color it ingests, and matrix's the information into a detailed image of its surroundings, even areas that are not in normal visions direct line of sight. essentially being able to see around corners, behind things, and even other rooms. as long as there is open air to something within 50 yards of it. it can see that thing.

its extremely hard to see one but you can always tell where its been because it leaves behind a place that is now dim, and gray, and dark.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: FiveleggDigger
    Five Legs and Super-Vision

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ninety9

Concept: THE WALL

THE WALL was first discovered on moon zeta x775 in 2107. The zetaians have formed alliances with these gigantous creatures and guard their footsoldiers with them when going to war against hostile nations and tribes. THE WALL uses a combined sight to spot enemies and its surroundings. 6 eyes in the head, throning high above the ground on the creatures shoulders give perfect view of the distance, while sensitive hair on the feet reveal even the smallest creature and tremor to THE WALL. THE WALL uses a 2 level sight that projects combined information of different senses in the creatures cerebral cortex.

Last edited by ninety9; April 4th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Shadoworen117

Concept: Trioptic Terrortoad
    This 5 legged creature uses it's huge hind legs to propel itself onto trees, adjacent cliffsides, and unsuspecting prey. Over millions of years it's front legs have evolved the ability to both hold onto vertical surfaces, and carry large prey back to the hungry of it's own species. This creature has one of the most significant differences between each of it's leg pairs. Each of it's three eyes sees a different mode of vision, which is a phenomenon in it's own. The first and largest, sees infrared, the second eye in the middle, sees everything as it is, regularly. And the final eye sees well at night, making this creature one of the most dangerous predators to walk it's world.

Last edited by Shadoworen117; April 5th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: oren90

Concept: five legged herbivore
    this five legged creature that habitat the green planes of this great land uses his middle front leg to uncover the different plants that lie beneath the surface, and to support the massive and heavy weight of his upper body, he uses a four eyes vision to scan the horizon for any danger or preditor that is after him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: maxrlx

Concept: Harpoonius Sp.
    The Harpoonius species lives in open plains, and uses its ultraviolet vision (smaller beady eyes) to track down it's prey by it territorial markings, usually insectoid type creatures as shown in the image. It then launches a lightning fast attack on the unsuspecting prey with its suction cupped and spiked tongue, pulls the prey in its jaws and then impales the prey successively with its modified 5th leg, which when not in use is stored in a neck pouch, and also used in movement when carrying heavy prey in mouth. The lower jaw has no chin to prevent it interfering with the 5th leg. Nictitaing membrane covers normal eyes during attack, uv eyes are tough and dont need to be covered.

Last edited by maxrlx; April 5th, 2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo, reduced black title bar height, and add missing 5th leg description

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lancer_idenoure

Concept: Five-Legged Snuffle
    These small, elusive creatures mostly feed on insects and even smaller mammals. They possess a fifth limb which they use to help launch themselves to heights exceeding five feet. They are for the most part nocturnal and have evolved to be able to see in the infared spectrum, aiding them in hunting in the dark, as well as avoiding potential danger. Be careful, as they have been known to latch on to people's faces when provoked...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: emerging

Concept: Oculus
    Oculus' 5th leg serves this creature in several important functions.

It allows the creature to exert a large amount of force with the muscular leg when leaping for it's prey (which it digests externally with it's one eye) making the jump powerful, long and swift. The two shorter back legs' purpose is mainly to keep the creature balanced throughout the leap sequence as well as to provide a large amount of support during landing.

The stronger the leg the further and higher the jump. During the mating season, this is very important for the male to perform his ritual dance. During the dance, a male first engages the female by synchronizing the leaping sequence. Once the connection is established, the male then showcases his strength by jumping as hard as possible. If the female is impressed enough, it will uncover its eye from a transparent protective lid to allow the fertilization to take place. Fertilization is achieved through the use of eyes where a male uses his lightning-like charge for that.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Paolo13

Concept: Element 172

Element 172 is one of the latest discoveries on colony "Fire". It was discovered close to the grate seas.

Its peculiar fifth leg seams to be used to support the weight of the eggs situated on the back. He then use his extra leg to spread the eggs at sea.

Wile the eggs lay on the bottom of the sea, Element 172 overlooks their safety with the help of it extraordinary vision.

Only threat to these little creature seam to be Element 8, which feeds on them.

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: nram

Concept: sevla night crawler
    This rare beast stalks the night jungles tree tops with ease. The feet end in claw like shapes that can ripe flesh as easily as they do wood, and so, using its keen night vision, sevla’s usually track and hunt down preys from above. Each leg is strong enough to sustain the body hanging, leaving the others free to engage the prey with even more viciousness when capturing preys larger than themselves.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Reymus

Concept: Pentaphibian

Excerpt from Traveler's Guide to the Qoomo System!:

Tourists traveling into the jungle planet of Qoomo IV will be advised not too stray far from their lodgings at night, while seeming relatively peaceful, the wetlands that our resorts are built upon are home to a variety of fauna. Of particular note is the Pentaphibian, a large man sized toad-like animal, which moves rather swiftly through the boughs and trees similar to an Earth ape. Should tourists encounter the animal, they are advised not to run as to spare the Pentaphibian the annoyance of running slightly faster for it's meal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: skullbeast

Concept: Bvorian land klutt
    The Bvorian land klutt wanders the desert in search of females that live nearly 2,500 feet higher in elevation then their male counterparts. The female klutt nests nearly a half mile above the desert floor on high rocky peaks and will only climb down to mate with a male that puts an extravagant show and dance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hoo hah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Lege1
    Concept: Borblebop

The Borblebop is a creature of lost worlds that is at peace and uses it's 5 legs and agile style to manuever the floating islands of Camtury. Borblebop can jump extremely long distance at ease like fleas as they search for food, magic mushrooms, that can be seen and sniffed out. Borblebop also uses its incredible vision to spot predators and humans at a distance to be able to avoid them at all cost and stay in the safe zone. Borblebop can be seen jumping and bopping around the floating islands of Camtury on sunny days, as this is a peaceful creature and will hide at the sound of thunder and sleep on rainy days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay guys. New round is on! Tough choice on this one, Emerging knocked it out of the park with that rendering and a great description to boot. Nicely done man. Voted.
    JanJager, you would've had it based on design, but you had no description. So close.
    Don't forget everyone that you need to have a description along with your image. Part of the rules plus it gives us more insight into how your creature works.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted emerging. You destroyed on this one! I've only been around here 2 weeks but this is probably the best work I've seen in c.o.w. it was a tricky subject, and you used every element cohesively.

If you don't win, then you got robbed!

If I get some more free time I'll try and crit everyone.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good design for a particularly tricky challenge. For me Emerging really stole the show for a fantastic design which really hits both of the briefs targets dead-on. However more on that latter...

JKennard - I really Like your creatures design with its antenna/leg hybrid. Although I would of loved to of seen it rendered in colour, also a description would of been nice so that we can understand how its fifth limb and eyes actually work.

(lark - Love the imagination behind this creatures backstory, giving it a very unique take on the brief. The Colour's flowing into its eyes also looks great.

JanJager - A definite sliver medal winner. The use of the legs as a means of tunneling is a great idea, and the rendering is beautiful as always. I particularly like how you presented your beast in its tunnel home.

ninety9 - Great creature design, I can really picture a row of these forming a living barricade. Although from the design of the creature I don't particularly get a sense of its heighten vision.

Shadoworen117 - A really sinister looking design, which looks like its about to jump straight out of my monitor towards me.

oren90 - Interesting use of the fifth leg as a digging instrument, although I think the anatomy could of been pushed a bit more as the front legs look a bit flat.

maxrlx - I love the rendering around the yellow eye and jaw bone, however other area's look alittle flat and out of place, particularly the two upward facing eyes. The use of the leg as an extension of the mouth its a great concept however.

lancer_idenoure - Cute but surprising eeire looking creature design, I can almost imagine it latching onto someones face. Love the use of a more traditional media.

emerging - A clear winner, with beautiful rendering, great creature design and a unique take on the brief. Excellent work!!! A personal favorite of your entries I have seen to date.

Paolo13 - Great use of the fifth leg, like Seagull creature also. Would loved to of seen it with some more rendering, maybe even just a splash of colour.

nram - This would definitely be my bronze medal winner. Love the rendering with its creepy blue tones, and a magnificent looking jungle landscape. Love how the creature seems to look right at the audience.

Reymus - Love the glowing eyes, however I feel that the anatomy could of been pushed further, particularly on its legs and feet.

skullbeast - Love this creature design, particularly the use of colour and rendering around the eyes and mouth. Enjoyed seeing your WIP's as usual.

kylexitron - Really like the singular bug eye, however a description would of really helped explain how it use's its fifth leg.

Lege1 - A very cheerful piece, love the vertical Borblebop in the background.

Well done everyone! Hopefully I can actually finish my work and enter in the next round.

Last edited by Fiddzy; April 9th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fiddzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted emerging of course you pretty much hit a home run with this one, good to have someone like you to set the bar high, it makes us work hard as well.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fiddzy: Good looks man and thank you much. I was going through some things in my life and used this illustration more as therapy to cheer myself up. Glad you appreciate it dude.

I voted Emerging. Concept and Artwork is perfectly on point in my opinion.

Good round everyone =]

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Better late than never

Ended doing this for fun one day then totally forgot about it till now...whups

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted emerging, design, concept, execution are all superb.
    JanJager was pretty good, too. really like the bottom of the feet. cool texturing.
    nram: great atmosphere and environment - had the concepts of the two above not been so strong this would´ve been my candidate as well.
    Shadowren117: you´ve got a creature with a nice vision-thingie, would´ve loved to see that rendered more. perhaps try to get away from the watercolour-style and blend the colours more. more rim-lights will make the creature more realistic/plastic as well, such as with the fingers/claws. can´t explain any better, sry.

by the way: voting for your own creature design is kinda lame. booooh ya.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted emerging of the top rendering!

Good round everyone

36. The Following User Says Thank You to nram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't really have that much time for crits this at the moment. May edit them in later. I voted for [b]emerging[/i] who I feel did an amazing job with the topic. A well composed and rendered image that really works with the description. Two small things. 1: I feel that this piece would benefit from some subtle cooler colours added in. At the moment even the cools look a bit too warm and I think that even having small hint of blues would resolve the piece. 2: I'm not so sure about those white wisps coming from the cavities on the creature's back. What is that? It wasn't made clear in the description and it looks sloppier then the rest of the piece.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    scorge
    Thanks for a marvellous thread and for the crit.
    I realize I have to read the rules more careful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging, nice work on the creature. liked the way you portrayed the skin texture. congrats on the round. nram, liked the blue atmosphere. Fiddzy thanks for the feedback, been strugling with texture and contrast, will try to improve it next round. Nice round everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 2