Sketchbook: CG Addict's Sketchbook (warning: shameful nudity) - Page 20

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Thanks
    Bowandbrush: Thanks, and I agree with the figures, will definitely do more studies of general gesture and anatomy to help me improve in that regard.

Hunchdebunch: Thank you. I'm glad my imagination sketches show what I learned, I'm much more confident drawing and painting them with all the studies I've been doing, so I'm glad to hear it's paying off!

razen_sketch: Thank you! I study anywhere from 3-8 hours/day.

sin eater: Thank you, glad to hear you enjoy my brushwork. I agree about the smooth look, I tend to overuse the round brush a bit too much after I'm done with the hard edges ones, so I'll try to go easier in that regard. As for textures, I consider that my strong point so I don't even bother tackling them for speedpaints.

I'm continuing my studies on painting heads, so I decided to do some speedpaints of various statue studies, which is a huge help in helping me further understand the forms and anatomy of the human head.

Last edited by cgaddict; July 1st, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Cool work George =) I like the statue study very much, would say about Batman is the muzzle area transitions are a bit abrupt, also his lips are a bit girly =) Great work in both studies in any case =)

Thanks
    nice sb, you can see some progress being made in here! would definitely recommend to keep doing the studies, keep it up!

Thanks
    Kungfoowiz: Thank you, always have a blast doing those studies. I agree with you regarding the Batman piece as well, thanks for your honesty.

kevin: Glad I'm making progress, will keep the pace going!

Continued with more studies of faces/heads. I did two photo studies, one featuring a skull while the other was based on a movie still from 'LA Confidential'. Learning a lot with these studies, especially in regards to form and how the human skull works.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah man, looking nice, can already see improvement on the mouth forms. Liking the funky colours in your last study too =)

Thanks
    I like the lady in red dress with flower over her head pic - rather different from what you usually do. I like the colour combination too.

Thanks
    Kungfoowiz: Thank you, much appreciated.

kayness: Thanks, had a blast with that color palette!

Some updates.... Did a ton more head studies... I noticed that I learn a lot more by doing studies from imagination immediately after studying from the masters, so I'll definitely be going that route. Played around with construction this time as well, which I have to admit was a lot of fun for me.... Hopefully I'll be able to tackle some more caricature work with more confidence in the future, but these studies are definitely helping in that regard.

Thanks
    your hard work and determination in inspiring. keep it up

Thanks
    great work with those studies, keep at it

Sketchbook -------- Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,444 Times in 3,656 Posts
    The bust studies are coming on well. One thing I've noticed on your sketches is that you're beginning to lose the hips on the females and that part is looking more masculine or prepubescent.

Thanks
    studieeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    WOW amazing studies from LOOMIS right ?! Love it should practice him too.

I saw the dp with the very blond lady, blue eyes, RED lip stick in a empty
    very colorfull room. I didn't see any of the lights at her, reflecting on her
    coat/ face. Nice painting thou, wish I could do that too.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Bowandbrush: Thanks, will do!

BlackSpot: Thanks! You're right about the hips, good catch! I'll be more conscious of this in the future.

Rastaray: Mmmmyesshhh!!!!!!!

Iven: Yessir! Loomis is a huge inspiration for me as an artist, so I study his technique religiously. His approach to drawing heads in unparalleled. As for the painting you mentioned, it's a speedpaint so I try a lot of new things, sometimes not so successfully, haha

Some updates! Had a chance to do some caricature work and had a blast. These paintings are meant to be shown at a much smaller scale, so I didn't overwork them, but instead opted for a clean approach without superfluous detailing.

Thanks
    awesome, simply amazing. love the mix of cartoony and realism

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    It's only the first one I have a problem with - the rest are great. Looks like someone who's name escapes me, but the girls' heads are tiny compared to his. Are they behind or in front of him?

Thanks
    heeeell yeah! I freaking love your colors man! Awesome caricatures too! I agree with Black Spot though , there's something kinda off with the first one.

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow awesome work with those digital paintings up there! Your rendering has gotten really solid. Keep it up man!!!

Thanks
    bbwolf: Thank you!

BlackSpot: Thanks; The girls are at the side of him, and I agree that it's a bit hard to read as is. Too late to change it now unfortunately, but thanks for your honesty regardless.

rastaray: Why thank you

Joe777k7: Much appreciated

I finished a painting of Two Face from Batman; The look was inspired from everything to the comic books to the movie. Very happy with how this turned out, the lighting in particular was a lot of fun to paint. I also wrote up a tutorial on how this image was painted which can be viewed here.

and that'll be all for now. Also have a ton of sketches that I need to scan, will do so when I'm feeling less lazy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff as always! great lightning on that last one

edit: Great tutorial too, will go through it more indepth later! thanks alot for sharing how you work

Sketchbook -------- Blog

Thanks
    looks awesome. And yes, great lighting. Thank you very much for the tutorial.
    The only thing I´d nitpick is that the hand looks a bit unfinished compared to the rest of the painting.
    But overall impression - AWESOME!!!

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Bowandbrush: Thank you! Glad you checked out the tutorial, always happy to show my progress. I plan on doing a ton of video tutorials as well, as I feel those are even more useful, hopefully I'll get some time to do that soon.

bbwolf: You're welcome Glad you dig the lighting, that was by far the most fun part of the image for me. Thanks for your honesty regarding the hand, I tend to favor faces a bit more and I guess it showed

Speaking of hands I just finished a new piece, and these are easily the best hands I ever painted... learned a shitload in regards to skin tones especially to give it a very believable look!

Liu Kang

This is a portrait of Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat. I'm a huge fan of the games so this was a lot of fun to paint; I plan on doing a bunch of paintings based on the main characters as well. This painting is also a tribute to Bruce Lee, who I find very inspirational and whom the 'Liu Kang' character is based on as well. For reference I looked at some pics of Bruce Lee and the actor from the first film, as well as some photos of hands to help make this as realistic as possible. Overall I'm very satisfied with how this piece turned out.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you really can be satsfied with it. It looks really well excecuted even if he looks very "high fashion model" in this shot. Skintones and lighting are nicecly done. In terms of portraing a real fighter fresh after having finished an opponent I´d suggest a bit more evidence to that than just the scratches however. If the opponent was good enough to get him in the face he ought to have made it a "hard kill" so Liu would probably be sweating a lot, still have the mouth a bit open from heavy breathing. a few bruises and on the fingers and some slight discoloration there and on the face too a bit. I really love what you have done with this one, don´t get me wrong. Be he looks very idealised and even nowadays Hollywood movie posters would put a bit more grit into it. So I´d say either really go for the modelling Cover shot, or for the "and thats why you don´t fuck with Kang Liu, asshole!" look. Bruce Lee and Willis always look their best after they´ve been hit a couple of times in the face. But yes, you really leveled up on the hands. Kudos to you!!!! (I am a big fan)

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice updates. I like the caricatures

Check out my SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    bbwolf: Thank you. Your feedback is on point and I agree with pretty much everything you stated. I tend to paint female faces mostly, which I aim to make as smooth as possible, but that doesn't really work well for male characters so I'll definitely be more conscious of this in the future. I'm definitely going to make the characters very gritty as well, but I'd like to do that for the 'villain' characters as opposed to the 'heroes' for added contrast, should be fun

JBogart: Thanks, the caricatures were a blast to paint!

Just finished a portrait of Sonya from Mortal Kombat, I'm still in 'fan art' mode it seems

Thanks
    Dude very awesome work lately =) Just one thing on the last piece, maybe a bit more feeling of volume on Sonya's ear. Keep up the awesome man =)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your color palettes and secondary lights are addictive. i can't stop looking at them and being hypnotized =)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to jamsession For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gotta agree with jamsession; those colors and lights are awesome!!

Thanks
    On the Liu Kang one you have focused on the hands and the eyes at the same time, but made everything else in the same planes soft focused. I think it should be either one or the other. If the eyes, you need to bring the rest up to the same level and soften those hands as nice as they are.

Thanks
    I admire your discipline to go through so many construction exercises. I wish I was that disciplined.

Thanks
    I agree with Black Spot. The focus seems to be in too many places at once and doesn't lend well to the realistic look you're trying to achieve. Also, looking back at it, I'd say that you should put more emphasis on some harder edges and rougher skin textures to really separate your lights and shadows and break up the soft-brush. You do this a bit more in the Sonya painting, but even still they have a digital, all soft-brushed feel to them that I think you'd want to get away from.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18