Sketchbook: CG Addict's Sketchbook (warning: shameful nudity) - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are inspiring. I also love the vibrance of your paintings.

it's funny you mention Perspective made easy i walked into a thrift store and stumbled onto that book yesterday and got a 1946 print for 15 cents.

i was wondering if it was any good and since your using it ill take that as a positive sign.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shambok: Thank you!

DStraX:
    Thanks. I generally draw / paint fairly well with photo references, but I think I'll be doing more life studies. They're a bit more challenging and a lot more fun for me.

jigje: Thank you. Them jeans were a lot of fun to paint, especially the little details.

tobbA: Thanks, and will do!

fantasyartist:
    Your critiques are right on, it's actually a huge problem for me... I think it's because I'm generally very good with contour, but focusing too much on that can make my drawings look flat... which seems to be the case. I'll definitely work more on form as you mentioned. Thank you for your honesty.

Black Spot:
    Appreciate it, and will do regarding the perspective lines.

vikramranu:
    Thank you.

vatteh: Thank you. Shading is a lot faster in Photoshop for me, it's a bit too time consuming with traditional pencils so I try to keep that to a minimum.

The US Assassin: Appreciate it. I haven't used that book that much yet, but as far as I can tell, it's very useful. It covers one, two, and three point perspective, and has some very useful exercises as well. It's definitely worth trying out!

I'm currently busy with a commercial project that involves pretty much portraits, so I dropped the perspective studies for a bit... Which sucks, because that's the biggest area I need improving on as far as I can tell. Hopefully I'll pick it up again soon. Here's some sketches I did since the last update; Lots of different approaches to handling figures, I'm trying to just concentrate a bit more on form as opposed to contour and gesture. Pose Maniacs is actually a huge help in that regard, so I'll definitely be doing a lot of those.

And that'll be all for now. Thanks for looking, critiques and feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dedication.

i sense it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your heads are really coming along nicely, your figures too. I noticed in some bodys the breast is defying gravity a bit, I try to imagine 'em like bags lying on top of the ribcage so they flat out a bit and follows the form. Also try to follow the form of the boobie around to get a good place for the nipple.

boobies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking you portraits, especially the ladies. They have a real classy look to them.

I agree a bit with alexson about the boobies, I havn't seen boobies that were round atop the point of the nipple, unless the woman was wearing a push up bra or something. I also feel the booties are a bit too -out- there. They're nice, but I think they don't quite fit some of the figures they are attatched to.

Over all though, awesome work.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Although perspective is important, you can wing it a lot of the time - I do. Just knowing the general principals can go a long way.

Back to butts. Please look at a lot. It's the one area that is falling down.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah! Your landscapes are amazing! Especially the underwater ones are so attractive Great work!

EDIT- Just noticed, your butts are weird 8o

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa... Those studies.. That's an aweful lot of work in one post... Good job man.

The studies are looking really good. If I had to give any advice, I would say that studying shading would probably help you at the moment. The shaded portraits at the begin of the post look like a good start. But it could help to try to experience more with shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude ... what an update ...AWESOME!!!
    You make me feel lazy as a sloth!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is really the hugest update in one post I've ever seen. Your figure studies and determination toward them are really inspiring! I'd probably die after a few pages.

I also agree about the butts, in some of the figures they look off. Just a minor thing to fix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If ever I think iv done enough studies I just pop to your page and wait till I am able to lift my jaw.

Ignore the quanty dont think im overlooking quality. Really like the confidnce in the figure construction. Definly work on the but area though. Also sometimes the facial feature placement seems slightly off. Id love for you to play with proporiton on a couple of them and get some design down, some fun crazy stuff. Maybe thats just me.

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Pixie Trick is online now Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome studies man! keep it going strong.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies - One crit would be perhaps show a little more difference in line weight (or maybe its just that the photos have flattened it). Another is perhaps break your lines up more. A solid line flattens any shape whereas a slightly broken one adds depth, leaving your eye to fill in the gaps

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's hardcore man, don;t know what to comment first. Actually, i think there is no reason to write anything, only real dedication. It must be very difficult to stay at one line without doing a second at the top of another. Really clean and solid work. I'd say that you must do some more faces with special characteristics. I mean, it's obvious you are good at "mainstream" man/woman faces. Keep up and take care man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep kicking ass and putting in work man, its paying off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello m8 i was wondering how do you call that style of sketching, the DOLL style, where a sketch is made out of parts, ???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a la bapsi: Indeed

alexson: Thank you, good point regarding the breastases, I should definitely think more about gravity when I draw them... will keep that in mind.

Lostcookie: Thank you; I have to give credit to Andrew Loomis for the 'classy' look, it's something I learned while studying his work. Good point regarding the buttoxes, I need to make the shapes a bit more oval on some angles, which I'm doing now. Thanks for your honesty.

Black Spot: Very true regarding, I can definitely wing it a bit, but I want to refine my technique a bit and gain a more solid understanding of it in general. Putting more thought into the buttox as well

MiladThaha: Thanks, I always have a blast with underwater scenes, there very fun to paint, especially when keeping in mind lighting and colors. Will work on my butts more

Luckers: Thank you. I try my best to draw daily for as long as time allows. Regarding shading, I don't see much point to doing it traditionally to be honest... I can work so much faster when shading with the computer, but it is something I will do more study of in the future... But I feel like I have other weaknesses to tackle that are far more important at this time.

shambok: Thank you. Really enjoy your sketchbook btw, especially your character designs - they're ACE.

skMOP: Thank you. I really enjoy sketching, it's something that requires a lot of patience on my part, but it ultimately pays off so it's well worth it. I'm putting more thought and effort into the butts as well, I seemed to have been breezing through them before which wasn't a good idea based on all the feedback I'm receiving, lol.

Whirly: Thank you, it's great to hear that my sketchbook can motivate others. I actually do the same thing, work my ass off, then browse other artist's sketchbooks, get inspired, and draw some more. That always does the trick

I agree that I can play around with different proportions and such, but now I'm much more concerned nailing the ideal figure down, working on gesture, etc... But that is something I will definitely play around with more in the future.

Pixie Trick: Will do

zou: Appreciate it.

SageTso:
    Thank you, and will do.

ThomasM: Thank you; Line weight is something I really need to work on I admit. I'll definitely keep your critiques in mind regarding line in the future, much appreciated.

knut-: Thank you. Regarding faces, I'm very eager to do more caricature work, but it's important for me to concentrate on being able to draw the ideal face in a variety of angles at this point.

Metal Fingers: Thank you, and will do.

BAN_KAI: Regarding the 'DOLL' look, what I do is break down the figure into simple forms, cylinders mostly. The head can be broken down into an egg, the torso a rectangle, the arms and legs simple cylinders, etc. A good book on this is titled: "The Figure - The Classic Approach to Drawing and Construction' . Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment; I apologize for the late reply, I was on vacation for the last 3 weeks... had a blast, and didn't draw much during this time (save for a few drawings for family and friends). I'm back on track again with my studies, focusing much more on gesture this time around.

Last edited by cgaddict; October 13th, 2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: minor edit

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, man! Have you checked out Glenn Vilppu's videos? They are really great for anatomy and figure drawing. You can probably find 'em on youknowwhatbay or something Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emil_: Appreciate it

alexson: Yep, I own several of his videos... I haven't gone through them as of yet, want to do some more gesture studies before I study his videos.

Today's updates, did a crapload of gesture studies. I'll definitely be doing these daily as gesture is easily the most important aspect of figure drawing... Additionally I moved on to studies of the human legs as well, which I'll be doing all month...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work doing so many poses .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those studies will take you very far. :]

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay?? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you know... i never thought youd learn how to draw a nice ass (or an ass in general) but seriously... youre becoming awesome, padre.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yaaaaaaasss, gesture studies is required for anyone who wants to progress their arts fast. Promising sketchbook. Keep going and never give up! Loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cpt. kuDa: Thank you.

bakatron: Appreciate it. I'm planning to fill my sketchbook with nothing but buttox.

MattGamer: Very true, and I have a very bad habit of underestimating it's usefulness, so I make sure I practice on gesture daily. Thanks for your support as well, much appreciated!

Today's updates: More practice on the legs, and did quite a bit of K Chen studies as well. I really dig Chen's approach to figure drawing, so I'll be making more intense studies of his work throughout the week. Also continued to practice gesture, which I'll definitely be doing daily.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaddict View Post
    I'm planning to fill my sketchbook with nothing but buttox.
    Yeah my sketchbook is filled with a lot of ass aswell but I think we are talking about different things

Great that you looking in Kevin Chens stuff!

I think maybe some of the legs look a bit thin.

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I must get my routine to include gestures and not just life drawings of people. Gestures so so key in what I am aiming for in the future. Btw, nice legs. Lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thats a lot of gesture sketches!Awesome!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12