Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

How to stay awake

every great artwork consume great amount of time, leaving artist deprived of sleep. But art means more than sleep right. So how do you keep awake especially when everybody else is fast asleep. just wanna know.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Cup of coffee always helps. Though if the work sucks you in enough, that alone should keep you going.

The better question to ask is how to improve your time management skills.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, of course the actual quality and drive of the work itself should be ample fodder, but sadly our frail mortal frames do fail us on occasion. Coca Cola, despite its nectar-sweet sherbet rainbow universe taste explosion, is NOT, in my personal experience, the best way to stay awake. I have never partaken of energy drinks such as red bull, so I have no opinion nor idea concerning those. Something loud and blaring, such as a favourite song at high volume coupled with bright lights might be sufficient. I suppose sheer-bloody-minded refusal to slumber might also be an asset.
    CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Fear Factory very loud!

Thanks
    I don't think it's about staying awake very long to work on your artwork that will do the trick. You will need to condition yourself in a regular sleep-wake pattern. For instance: Go to sleep at 11 pm and wake up at 7 am every day. If you can do this for two weeks you're gonna notice a difference. You're be able to produce more in a day.

It's not good for your health to stay awake real late and waking up really early to go to school/work. In time you're damaging your own body and you're gonna be tired and grumpy and tired all day long. It doesn't work, for me at least, to work till 3 am on a piece, because I start loosing focus and the work start to be sloppy. It's a good experience to at least have tried it, you're be amazed in the morning with what you did last night.

If you insist to push your bed time to a later point in the night do it gradually. Add 10 mins every two days. f.i. You go to bed 10:30 pm today and the day after tomorrow you're going to bed at 10:40 and so on. You can push this as far you want to, but you're gonna notice that you reach a point where you don't get enough sleep. That means you have kind of reached your limit.

When doing this keep in mind you have to wake up every single day on the same time. Catching up sleep doesn't exist. You're just fooling yourself and your body if you do it. I found that I work the best the next day if I go to sleep at 11 pm and wake up 7 am. I reached a point that this has become natural to me. I don't need to remind myself to go to bed. I start to get sleepy at 10.45 pm and wake up at 7am with no alarm clock.

I hope I could help you a bit, although it has become a long story

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Super late-night work usually results in a "wtf is that?" moment the next morning.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i defend but at the end of battle i surround ...my best wishes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    You can always try standing up...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Go to bed in time and continue on it next morning when you are awake and more alert, and make sure to get enough sleep. Otherwise you'll just ruin it for yourself - like Smashed Pumpkin said, a wtf moment.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Gonna agree with everyone else. Personal experience of 2-3 all-nighters per week for the first 2 years of architecture school not only takes a massive toll on your work at times, but has an even more negative effect on your body. You need sleep more than you need that extra 2-4 hours of rushed work.

Take time out to relax, to recharge, to decompress and step away from your work, and allow your body and mind to ready themselves again for another batch of creativity. Factually, you'll produce better work in less time if you take a break as opposed to rushing through it. Likewise, you'll have the same result if you decide to sleep now and work later, than to work now and sleep when you're dead.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you all for those inspiring words. I agree about that wtf moments are bound to happen if you lack sleep.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Go to bed early, wake up early. And excercise.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    and eat your vegetables
    Writing is good, thinking is better. Cleverness is good, patience is better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 427 Posts
    Dave & I are horribly addicted to these...

How to stay awake

How to stay awake

I work best really late at night, less distractions.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    rushing a painting is never good, unless it is some routine work allnighters are never a good thing.
    A healthy body, good food, sports, good sleep, less stress, those are the things that will keep you going.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandasandwich View Post
    Dave & I are horribly addicted to these...

How to stay awake

How to stay awake

I work best really late at night, less distractions.
    i know some people who were bug fans of those energy drinks too, some had kidney failure.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    i know some people who were bug fans of those energy drinks too, some had kidney failure.
    I never did understand why people would subject their body to shit like that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    I never did understand why people would subject their body to shit like that.
    Because it will give you energy and you'll be able to go on all night. AKA: It will pump around a pound of sugar and other stuff that's really bad into your body and you'll THINK you can go on all night....true...but you'll end up having all kinds of bad things like the kidney failure RANDIS mentioned....

What Jason and RANDIS said is also an important point I forgot to add: Exercise! Go out for a walk. Take the bike. I've read somewhere your body releases endorphin (The happy hormone) after a good exercise. So it's worth your efforts

Thanks
    Depends what time it is. Around 2AMish the only thing coffee does is give you shit. I suggest strong tea instead, preferably black. Also though sugary stuff generally gives you energy its not the case in the night, instead it makes you more sleepy so no bananas (which I usually find the perfect energy food). If all else fails and you really need that allnighter then consume a can of something like loveandsandwich suggested and you're fine for a few more hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Go to bed in time and continue on it next morning when you are awake and more alert, and make sure to get enough sleep.
    Go to bed early, wake up early. And excercise.
    HA! And HOW, pray tell, does one cram in enough time to sleep when your clients give you four weeks worth of work, and then fritter away two weeks with delays before giving you the green light, leaving you with two weeks to do the original four weeks worth of work!? "Two-week Wonders", I call those projects. And they seem to happen a lot.

(Or else you get stuck with four months worth of work in two months, for the same reason... etc. I swear it seems like it's ALWAYS like that, whatever the timeframe. Even if you try to make the client stick to a rigorous schedule, they bring in a committee, and you can kiss your schedule goodbye...)

Sometimes sleep has to get cut. And regular meals. And any and all outside activities.

HOWEVER - I do try to stick to a regimen of having a brisk walk for at least an hour every day. It does wonders for clearing your head if you're working insane hours, and keeps you from turning into a total vegetable.

Plus gallons of tea. And 70% cocoa dark chocolate, that's good stuff, man. And plenty of fruit to snack on so you don't totally ruin your health. And tunes... If I'm faced with a hell project, one way I make it through is by getting a bunch of new tunes to keep me going.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    I must be abnormal, coffee sends me to sleep.

When I did the 24 hour work shift to get a job done, water was the best thing, and determination. Did 3 days with no sleep and that was as far as I could go. You never need as much sleep as the hours lost, but it's only worth it if you can focus 100% on the job.

Thanks
    Stop whining about how tired you are and return to work. It helps.
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    HA! And HOW, pray tell, does one cram in enough time to sleep when your clients give you four weeks worth of work, and then fritter away two weeks with delays before giving you the green light, leaving you with two weeks to do the original four weeks worth of work!? "Two-week Wonders", I call those projects. And they seem to happen a lot.

(Or else you get stuck with four months worth of work in two months, for the same reason... etc. I swear it seems like it's ALWAYS like that, whatever the timeframe. Even if you try to make the client stick to a rigorous schedule, they bring in a committee, and you can kiss your schedule goodbye...)

Sometimes sleep has to get cut. And regular meals. And any and all outside activities.

HOWEVER - I do try to stick to a regimen of having a brisk walk for at least an hour every day. It does wonders for clearing your head if you're working insane hours, and keeps you from turning into a total vegetable.

Plus gallons of tea. And 70% cocoa dark chocolate, that's good stuff, man. And plenty of fruit to snack on so you don't totally ruin your health. And tunes... If I'm faced with a hell project, one way I make it through is by getting a bunch of new tunes to keep me going.

"Any delay caused by you, the client, will add to the expected deadline."

Sign here please.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Any delay caused by you, the client, will add to the expected deadline."

Sign here please.
    Tried that. Doesn't work. Wish it did. Especially when I'm working through many levels of design firm, client, and multiple departments that aren't talking to each other...

On the plus side I can often arrange for extra pay to compensate the craziness. But boy, do they hate to move the deadline.

Thanks
    So you have a contract stipulating that delays caused by the client will cause the deadline to be moved, but you still give in?

Well, it's your life.

Thanks
    So you have a contract stipulating that delays caused by the client will cause the deadline to be moved, but you still give in?
    Well, no. The problem is I'm not the only party involved, it gets complicated. Usually I have a contract with a design firm and/or software developer, and THEY have a contract with the client, who may have have a contract with a sponsor or may have multiple departments involved... Plus the design firm/developer will have multiple sub-contractors besides me, so THEY'RE all involved, too. Instead of a simple clause like what you suggest, there's usually a detailed schedule (with dependencies), based on input from all parties involved (including me), and the client agrees to the schedule. After that it's up to the design firm and/or developer to try to keep the client on track, and this tends to involve a lot of wrangling and compromises on all sides. Usually when deadlines look impossible, the first solutions are getting more money to throw more people at it, or cutting features - moving the deadline is always the LAST choice, if nothing else will work.

The other problem is that clients may agree to a schedule (or half-agree) and then screw it all up halfway through the project, and then be stuck with a situation where the project either gets killed, or has to be rushed to meet the deadline. None of us want it killed, because we all want to be paid, so we rush. Or compromise, as above.

Not a whole heck of a lot I can do to influence a mess like that... The software and web industries have always been like this, I swear.

Besides, if it's a question of getting work and getting paid versus being overly picky and NOT getting work, ah, I'd rather take the rush job and pull a few all-nighters. Especially if I can charge extra for rush conditions.
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; March 29th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by indieo View Post
    every great artwork consume great amount of time, leaving artist deprived of sleep. But art means more than sleep right.

No, art does not mean more than sleep, unless you're under a strict deadline and alot is at stake.

And great artworks do consume alot of time, but you have to be batshit autistic to actually do it in one sitting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Well, no. The problem is I'm not the only party involved, it gets complicated. Usually I have a contract with a design firm and/or software developer, and THEY have a contract with the client, who may have have a contract with a sponsor or may have multiple departments involved... Plus the design firm/developer will have multiple sub-contractors besides me, so THEY'RE all involved, too. Instead of a simple clause like what you suggest, there's usually a detailed schedule (with dependencies), based on input from all parties involved (including me), and the client agrees to the schedule. After that it's up to the design firm and/or developer to try to keep the client on track, and this tends to involve a lot of wrangling and compromises on all sides.
    Actually, it's not complicated at all. Your contract stipulates that any delays caused by the client will add to the expected deadline. Anything else doesn't matter.

Usually when deadlines look impossible, the first solutions are getting more money to throw more people at it, or cutting features - moving the deadline is always the LAST choice, if nothing else will work.
    More people and cutting features, neither dictate that you should work extra.
    The other problem is that clients may agree to a schedule (or half-agree) and then screw it all up halfway through the project, and then be stuck with a situation where the project either gets killed, or has to be rushed to meet the deadline. None of us want it killed, because we all want to be paid, so we rush. Or compromise, as above.
    Add a clause that says "paid for time worked" or charge by the hour, if they screw up a project, it might get cancelled but it won't give overtime. It's not your job to pick up the slack of other people.
    Not a whole heck of a lot I can do to influence a mess like that... The software and web industries have always been like this, I swear.
    So you chose a job in a stressfull industry and now you complain about it... hmmm.
    Besides, if it's a question of getting work and getting paid versus being overly picky and NOT getting work, ah, I'd rather take the rush job and pull a few all-nighters. Especially if I can charge extra for rush conditions.
    So basically you don't seem to care enough about your health as long as you can reel in extra money. Then.. why are you posting in this thread? It seems you're unwilling to take the necessary steps for a healthy rest, but still want to complain about it.

So hire more people, train your clients in keeping deadlines or simply don't complain.

"But I have people to feed, etc etc etc". All nice, but again, you make a decission. Either accept the extra cash and work the slave hours and don't complain, or improve your situation, lose some of the cash and get a healthy sleep. Either way, the situation will be solved.

Thanks
    Coffee and energy drink are proven to help me stay awake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast