Personal RANT - Caution Generation Gap Comments

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Personal RANT - Caution Generation Gap Comments

I have posted this rant in the Art Discussion forum because I feel it is directly related to mature artists and warrants some feedback.

So ....

I'm on the verge of telling my 20-something year old boss that he is an ass. Yes, he knows his animation and yes he can reel-in the 'big' contracts but he has the inter-personal relationship skills of a 2 year old.

He demands things be done 'his' way and refuses to even listen to alternatives. I have 25 years of experience in some fields and I know my stuff and I am no computer idiot either. I am smart enough to figure out one of the most complex software programs on the market in less than a week - something I'm damn proud of. But this guy takes tantrums if he doesn't get his own way. Shhessh I had enough of that shit raising two teenagers.

Now I am faced with a delimma. Do I continue to take the abuse from some young jerk or do I bite my tongue and suffer the humiliation. Gawd, I love this business and I love producing art but sometimes I'm pretty damn sure that this new generation of employers need babysitters of their own.

If it wasn't for parents letting their teenagers goof off in the basement learning everything 'computer related' or playing every video game on the market I'm pretty damn sure that some of these kids wouldn't be smarter than say people my age. Gawd, I would probably be a genius too if I could live off my parents (while they work their asses off), eat all their food and get my mother to do my laundry so I could stay up til 4AM playing God of War with two or three friends.

Okay yes, there are some very talents young artists out there that deserve a break and to get hired to do what they do best. But it just seems lately that there are more idiots that good artists.

Hell I wonder if Stan Lee had this problem.

Where can I find a great place to work that encourages learning and artistic development without sacrificing who I really am?

Signed ..... genuinely disgusted

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Someone once described growing older to me as becoming less tolerant as we become less desirable. I know I annoyed the crap out of the older adults around me when I was 20 something.
    Whether you stay depends on how marketable you think you are in this economy. If you have some money and aren't satisfied find something else; just remember the old saying 'better the devil you know than the one you don't.'

Maybe on a 20 year old comparison chart this guy is a saint compared to whats out there.

Thanks
    how old are you, razorleaf?

unfortunately, he's your boss, in which case, they're always right, even when they're wrong. if you can find a job not like this, let me know.

Thanks
    Someone once described growing older to me as becoming less tolerant as we become less desirable.

OMG .... thanks for that tidbit of information dpaint. That really perks me up hahaha

And mundanity are you tell me that they are ALL like that.

Gawd, I need a vacation hahaha

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Artists are just people. They're no different than engineers, farmers, cashiers, janitors, computer technicians, librarians, or any other type of person. Evidenced by the fact that artists often participate in these types of things on the side, or "while training".

Respectively, they're very capable of being dumbasses, and are immune to the time line. They come in old, young, rich, poor, of all religions and races.

So do bad bosses.

This is why it is important to be happy with you, and your situation, and your own capabilities.

That's just the way it is in the world. I personally expect that for the duration of my life, most all people I meet, will simply not...mesh...with me. And I know that part of the reason, is me. Not always just them. That's why I'm always looking for ways to improve.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,452 Times in 3,664 Posts
    Have a quiet word with him. If you get the result he wants in the time specified, it shouldn't matter. You'll have to be diplomatic, but if you're lucky you might make him see sense. I get that a lot (I work in a non-art field) but when the computers are down, I'm usually the only one who can carry on regardless. The bottom line is results regardless of how they are arrived at. Put your world weary concerned face on and tackle him politely. He may be secretly scared of you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Age may also not enter into it.
    He might still be an ass in 30 years.
    (But I know what you mean )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    There's a generation gap? I just assumed everyone younger than me was a damn asshole as a matter of course. Period.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ...... o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    I feel it is directly related to mature artists and warrants some feedback.
    Here is the first problem! You are so focused on age!

I'm on the verge of telling my 20-something year old boss that he is an ass.
    Was does age have to do with it? I have a feeling this is a lot less about what he is doing and more about when he was born...

He demands things be done 'his' way and refuses to even listen to alternatives. I have 25 years of experience in some fields and I know my stuff and I am no computer idiot either.
    Yup, this just seems to back up that it is less about what he is actually doing.

I am smart enough to figure out one of the most complex software programs on the market in less than a week - something I'm damn proud of.
    Photoshop? >< Please don't tell me you are talking about photoshop o.O

But this guy takes tantrums if he doesn't get his own way. Shhessh I had enough of that shit raising two teenagers.
    Tantrums as in...fire you? Because if he isn't getting his own way he should look for someone that will do it his own way. Again, he is the boss. There are LOTS of people out there who are hungry for the chance to work doing art (and would GLADLY do whatever their boss tells them, because they are there to learn and understand their place).

You seem to be under the impression that your age should automatically mean you are the boss.... age has nothing to do with it.

Now I am faced with a delimma. Do I continue to take the abuse from some young jerk or do I bite my tongue and suffer the humiliation.
    Humiliation?

I don't think you have the right attitude (again, there are lines of people with the right attitude that would gladly step in). You are there to learn, not to tell the boss how to run things.

Now if he is actually stepping out of line in how he is managing...that is a different story. But it sounds like he is just telling you to do your job and you resent having to do it because of your age difference.

This is exactly why older generations aren't wanted.... because they come into the workplace with this type of attitude that their age means something. Instead of coming eager to learn and accepting that they are in the possition they are because they DON'T have the skill-set needed to be at the top (and, again, they resent that they aren't as skilled and lack the attitude to work their butt off to fix it).

If it wasn't for parents letting their teenagers goof off in the basement learning everything 'computer related' or playing every video game on the market I'm pretty damn sure that some of these kids wouldn't be smarter than say people my age.
    What does playing games have to do with being an artist? ... or being smart? ...

Also, what have you been doing with the last 20+ years in the industry that you haven't managed to "catch up"? Stop making excuses and WORK as hard as you can to improve... it isn't your age that is holding you back, it seems to be your attitude.

Gawd, I would probably be a genius too if I could live off my parents (while they work their asses off), eat all their food and get my mother to do my laundry so I could stay up til 4AM playing God of War with two or three friends.
    Yeaaa.... again... how do games make you a great artist? So a kid has a few years to concentrate on art while their parents foot the bill? YOU HAVE HAD 20+ YEARS. Even working full time, you should have been able to advance artistically beyond what a kid could reach in their "game time".

You need to drop the attitude and just listen to your boss. Try to absorb as much information you can and improve as much as you can. Your age means nothing, it doesn't mean you should be the boss... it doesn't mean you know more... it doesn't mean you are more skilled....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,452 Times in 3,664 Posts
    There is that, but they can be made to see the errors of their way.

I always talk to my bosses as equals. At my age, I assume they should know I do know what I'm doing and if not I tend to carry on regardless. While they could do my job but don't have the time, I do find the younger ones do make mistakes. I enjoy putting the puzzled look on and asking "What happened?" Butter doesn't melt in my mouth.

Thanks
    You are right Black Spot .... its the mature thing to do (and the right thing). Thanks.

Craig D ... you make a good point, thanks.

Ilaekae ... you made me laugh thank you. I don't feel so darn frustrated now hahaha

Thanks
    You're complaining about having it tough in an -art- job in a tough economy.
    Psst, the boss ain't the only spoiled one here.

Thanks
    No Hyskoa .... you are wrong.

I am not complaining about the job at all. Its about respect. I already raised my children I don't want to have to do it at my place of employment too.

If my employer deserves the position, regardless of his age, then he should act accordingly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Are their demands worth what they're putting into your wallet?
    That's what I ask myself.

Burning the bridge with an unknown punk isn't going to hinder your prospects.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great food for thought HunterKiller .... thank you.

Thanks
    I would like an example. What software? What was you suggestions? Have you tested your suggestions in a good way to illustrate it.

the best way in my experience to show another work flow when it comes to animation/3D and compositing is to have a great looking working examples of what you want to do. This way you show that it works and you have dealt with some of the problems.

I have seen many people get fired or have been really embarrassed when the have thought about a new way of doing something and they get into it on a project and they fail.

It also sucks when the company has put money into the idea.

You aso get it h other way when someone is a old 3D guy and not up on new tools and work flows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    ...... o.O Photoshop? >< Please don't tell me you are talking about photoshop o.O
    3D Studio Max (including the 3D programming / coding part). Or maybe Blender (the very first few versions of Blender way back then > hell).

Thanks
    I'd also love to know just what exactly they are doing to humiliate you? What is he doing that is so bad that warrants you saying that you feel he acts like a teenager?

You didn't respond to Ivory's question of it. I think it's valid. How can people give you advice when you're giving us a very glazed over version of the story?

Can you give us examples of where he threw a teenager type tantrum and what caused it? Or what he does to humiliate you? It would be a lot easier to get a feel for the situation.

Thanks
    Here are two interesting articles that might pin point what type of boss you have. Your boss's personality might be what helps drive the company to success or hindering the company as whole. It might be an issue of trust. As a worker and from your boss's point of view how can gain more of his trust so that he would agree with other people's ideas?

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...eer-leadership

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-Thin...85145.html?x=0

Where can I find a great place to work that encourages learning and artistic development without sacrificing who I really am?
    It's real gem when you find a studio where everybody work as a team and not above it. Only other sure fire way is starting your own company, to be yourself. Because your boss...is the boss. He gets to be 100% himself : /

Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 25th, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the articles Pigeonkill. These should be posted on every boss's desk, regardless of the type of company or the age of the supvisor/manager. They are actually great reminders.

Thanks
    I understand you so much because you remind me a LOT of my friend, he is a designer and his boss is a complete ass too... but he`s forty-something and behaves like a spoiled child, I know exactly what you mean when you say he acts like a teenager, this guy is the same.

My friend tried to talk a lot of times with him, always polite and diplomatic, it was difficult because he`s so stubborn, but he was able to make him open up his mind a little and the situation got a lot better.

My friend is one of those persons that have a patience made of iron, I really don`t know how he does it, I would have punched the mofo a good while ago LOL

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    Someone once described growing older to me as becoming less tolerant as we become less desirable.
    Yeah, that makes sense to me (and I'm not that old, lol).

And mundanity are you tell me that they are ALL like that.
    All mine have been, but I'd qualify this by saying I still have yet to work in the artistic fields, and I'm kind of jealous of the fact you are . I guess managing artistic temperments is a bit of a speciality as a boss, though, and if you're not grounded yourself like your boss doesn't seem to be, it's a recipe for disaster.

I once saw a really good article online about managing IT types and all the sort of special problems presented by the kind of personality who makes a career in that field. I bet one day someone will write something similar for artists in businesses.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to mundanity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the support Chris Saksida and mundanity - and everyone. It makes it easier just knowing that there are others that have shared the same experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.