Need some thoughts, drawing using virtual models
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need some thoughts, drawing using virtual models

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some thoughts, drawing using virtual models

Hi everyone. I'm taking an introduction art course with the prospect of working towards an illustration degree. With that said, I was wondering if anyone would be able to lend some thoughts on using programs such as this one as an alternative to practice drawing the human figure.

I don't mind drawing from life, but unfortunately I sometimes feel too uncomfortable drawing random people (I feel like I'm intruding on their own privacy) and would prefer being able to practice in comfort. The usage of a program such as that though seems to be a relatively cheap alternative as opposed to buying a full-sized manikin to practice with. However, I do not mind actually paying money to draw a model in person, I just don't like drawing random people going about their lives.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CidCaldensfey; March 25th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The only drawback I see is the models are inaccurate, like the one on the box cover. Also it is still a 2d representation on your screen, drawing from life is just a faster, better way to learn to draw, in my opinion. Before you decide to buy something like poser, look at the drawings of the people who say otherwise compared to the same level people who have life training; the difference is obvious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you on all of your points. I too believe drawing from life is far superior. I just need an alternative I suppose due to a majority of constraints. See, the main issue is that summer is coming up and my campus (UW-Parkside) will not have any sort of art classes during the summer. So I'm trying to locate off-campus sources to practice, both for the rest of the current semester and the upcoming summer.

I think there are some local art supply stores and galleries which have live models come in to draw, so I will definitely check those places out. I'm just worried about money as I live on a Walmart paycheck. And I would just like some alternatives which would be more economical, even if some initial investment is required.

More suggestions/thoughts/etc are greatly appreciated.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not the best but http://www.posemaniacs.com/ is okay. Or you could get friends and family to pose - not necessarily naked to fill in the blanks.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    IMO the "virtual" models are a waste of time - they are small, stiff, a PIA to try to get even close to a natural pose (which they never do anyway) - they're bad for lighting, etc. If you're looking for alternatives there are some decent figure model sites or books with DVDs available. Here's a few:
    http://www.posespace.com/(X(1)S(vl02...ookieSupport=1
    http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=photosets
    http://www.virtualpose.net/greenstore/

Even when using these I set up my digital projector so I project the image up in my studio at least half to three-quarter life-size, so I can get as close to actual life drawing as possible (instead of sitting at my monitor doing little three inch poses). There are a lot of resources out there, just have to track down the ones you like.

Last edited by JeffX99; March 25th, 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added resource
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mirrors. Cheap, life size, almost like life. And you have total control of the model. Get two and you can do back views, even.

Drawing performers is good, too. They know they're being watched and you're supposed to be watching them, so you won't be invading their privacy if you sketch them too. If there's any free concerts or shows or parades around, they make good sketching practice.

(I don't think I've ever seen a 3D model that didn't look more like a plastic doll than a live person to me... I mean, they're never going to have the subtle quirks of real flesh and muscle. The real stuff bulges and squashes and stretches and twists in so many unexpected ways, computer-generated bodies just don't do that.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Mirrors. Cheap, life size, almost like life. And you have total control of the model. Get two and you can do back views, even.

Drawing performers is good, too. They know they're being watched and you're supposed to be watching them, so you won't be invading their privacy if you sketch them too. If there's any free concerts or shows or parades around, they make good sketching practice.
    Yep - good advice. Musicians are great to draw. I also recommend getting involved in Sketchcrawl: http://www.sketchcrawl.com/. It gets you in touch with others in your area that like to go out and draw/sketch from life. It's always easier to go out with a few friends for sketching expeditions.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, Sketchcrawl! Thats a great idea! Thank you guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poser is useless. 8 versions after it was introduced, they still haven't figured out how the human body is really articulated. They've just been adding "realistic" hair and skin shaders to fake anatomy.

Steer clear of the "virtual model".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by nop; March 26th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.