Problems with a Reilly method painting book

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Problems with a Reilly method painting book

I recently spoken to Jack Faragasso about republishing his (Reilly method)painting book. Jack was Reilly's monitor for quite some time, so the book is full of a lot of information. Used copies are available online for around $200!
    The problem is that he is trying to find a new publisher, and between the various costs and reediting it so it is up to digital age standards is a bit daunting for him. He is getting older now and the idea of internet publishing, ebooks and transfering the original illustrations from slides into digital images is all very confusing.
    I'm wondering if anybody out there has some suggestions about costs or printing standards or can help Jack out directly?
    Thanks loads

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any direct experience, but I would be happy to help Jack out in any way. It would be great if the book could be made readily available again.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drop a line to Jason Manley, see if this would be a project the Art Dept would take up.

Just an idea.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 5,959 Times in 2,400 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is unfortunate. Northlight books can put out 100 crappy how to paint flowers books but won't reprint this book? There is something wrong with the world. What about Blurb.com or Ibook or the other self publishing ventures that are available now? I'd buy another copy just for a back up.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Northlight never even did a second printing of the original, so it doesn't surprise me. After all, rather than giving you TEN EASY SECRETS TO BEAUTIFUL PAINTINGS!!!!!, The Student's Guide actually suggested that painting was complicated and took work! I know Jack self-published his drawing book, but I assume the main problem with doing that for the painting book is the requirement for large numbers of accurate color illustrations. An ebook would probably be the best way around that, but it is a whole different world, especailly for someone his age.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe he could get a Ghost writer. Try pitching the idea to a few of the bigger publishing houses. Publishers have lists of Ghost writers for just this purpose. They could work with Jack and the publisher could benefit from his name. I would suggest cold calling some of the major publishers (make sure before hand that the publisher actually publishes art books) to get the right names of people you should be speaking with (i.e. Non-Fiction Editor and Chief of the Arts Department). Usually the receptionist can help you with this. Once you get the right person then call the person directly. It will not be easy but this could be one way to get it republished.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work with 35mm transparencies quite often. I've used a bunch of different scanners and I'm going to recommend that the best one for your purposes, (speed, scanning an illustration, user friendliness) is the hp photosmart. You can probably find one on ebay for less than a $100 these days, and I taught my mother in law to use it in less than fifteen minutes (I promise you, she found it just as daunting).

http://photo.net/equipment/hp/scanne...-slide-scanner

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking this might be the guy: http://www.fleskpublications.com/
    Definitely worth contacting about such a project. Let us know if anything develops, please!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 4