Thanks

insuring artwork for shipping

hey....i tried asking a similar question in the fine arts section with only one response and i still have a few questions...so mods, if you think this is wrong of me, then you may delete this. but i really need help with this so i thought i'de ask it in the high traffic of the lounge....

i'm shipping original artworks domestically for the first time. i'm scared.
    i've been told my multiple artists that you can pay something like $1 for every $100 of the value of the artwork for insurance. but everytime i talk to a fedex rep, they say that is not true, and they will only pay up to $500 for art. then other lady told me it was $1,000 that they pay back. i don't understand how so much differing info goes around like this, but it's left me very confused and not wanting to go thru fedex.
    haven't tried ups yet, but most of the artists ive talked to use fedex.
    i don't know anything about 3rd party insurance or how to sync it up with fedex.

one piece is going from SF to new jersey and another from SF to hawaii. they are both well over $500 in worth, and basically i'm afraid of it getting lost, and be losing out on a few months of rent and bills to pay. i know artists ship their work all over the place all the time...and i'm going to have to get over this because i can;'t have an anxiety attack everytime i have to ship and original. argh!

can anyone help me out and give me info on how they properly ship and insure their artwork? you can pm me if you are uncomfortable saying the info here.
    thanks so much....

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's what's listed in FedEx's service guide:
    "The valuation limit per consignment for Articles of Extraordinary Value/Valuable Cargo will be $500 or the Convention liability limit, whichever is applicable, unless advance arrangements have been made with FedEx Express."

The "liability limit" is the price they'll pay per pound. Don't know what that is exactly, but it isn't much. "Advance arrangements" may mean that they'll need some proof that the item is as valuable as you claim it to be.

The standard liability for valuables is rather low in the shipping industry across the board, sometimes less than $1/lb. If you want full coverage then you have to pay extra for it, either with the carrier (if they offer it) or through a third party. It isn't cheap.
    David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I answered this on your other post but I'll repost here. Also to answer your follow up question I don't use third party insurance I use fed ex insurance and I insure as described below. So do all my galleries and so do all my friends in fine art.

I ship hundreds of my pieces a year to my galleries around the country and I use Fedex Ground, I insure the work for the net price I get paid from the gallery. In my case 60% of retail.
    Fed ex says it wont pay for art but they have actually reimbursed me for a damaged painting about 8 years ago. I figure if I insure it for the price and they take my money, they have to reimburse if it gets damaged. But I can prove my paintings have that value. I use airfloat strong boxes to ship with; they are reusable and better than wooden crates.
    here is a link
    http://www.airfloatsys.com/shop/index.php

Get the ones with the fiberglass and foam, there are instructions how to measure for your painting.
    Make sure you let the gallery know that you are sending them a reusable box and that if they lose it you will expect them to reimburse you for it.

Thanks
    dpaint, i got your reply, and thank you.

i called fedex today, and got yelled at...they claim they dont insure anything. they also claim that they will only pay back $500 to anything lost or damaged. they repeatedly told me that anyone who has told me otherwise is wrong. you say you insure the net price of what you get paid. but how do you do that? i've tried, and everytime i try to get a little info out of fedex, i get slammed. is there some secret to this or something? seems like it, because i can't understand why i've heard from more then one artist that there is a way to insure your art through fedex, yet fedex denies it. one artist told me that i could pay something like $1 for every $100 of value, but the fedex rep on the phone told me that whoever said that is very wrong. what?? how could they be wrong if that is what they do? now, i was told from a fedex rep that i can pay $2.50 to declare a value on the item shipped, but it has nothing to do with insurance, and regardless of the value of the item, if it was lost i would only get $1,000 back.

Thanks
    Yeah,

I'm sure they probably have a public policy but the fact is everyone ships using fedex and UPS. I have an account with both, when I log on to my account with fedex there is a box for declared value; the bigger number you put in that box the more they charge. They don't deny you the chance to ship if it goes over 500. So they can say what they want but in a court of law they would lose because if they take the money they have made a contract. IF they wanted to limit it to a 500 dollar value the fee wouldn't increase after 500.
    You could build a wooden crate to ship your work and buy insurance from a third party. I don't, and like I've said I've been shipping with them for ten years, I've been reimbursed for one painting that was damaged and a couple of frames in that time.

If you are that worried you shouldn't do it. There are private carrieirs that will crate and ship artwork for you if you have the money. I don't use them because of the volume of paintings I move around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I insure the work for the net price I get paid from the gallery. In my case 60% of retail. But I can prove my paintings have that value.
    That is the important part.

I don't know the first thing about Fedex but I worked for another courrier company for 4 years. Basically, they don't like shipping art. Because it's hard to tell how much it's worth (and sometimes a bit subjective) and it's fragile.

Basically, if you didn't have a proof that someone was paying for that art, they would insure it by the pound. So you'd need an invoice. Or proof of past sells for similar art. Basically, if you are a beginner sending his art for an auction, and you think your art is worth something but you don't have a very solid track record, you are screwed. It makes a lot of sense. They don't want ppl to insure a 10$ DA commission for 500$ and then try to claim damage when it gets there crumpled. But it's not a bias against art, it's very very hard for individuals to insure personal belongings. Courier insurances were created for corporate shippers. They have standard shippings, invoices, contracts, things tend to be clear and quickly resolved.

Also, your waybill is your contract, so on the back, it probably says that it's your responsibility to make sure your shipment fits in their terms of services, and even if you try to insure something that is unassurable, it's not their fault. They have lawyers and if brought to court, they would probably claim that if you insure something unassurable, their only responsibility is to reimburse you for the amount you paid for insurance. You have to read the terms of service in detail.

Next time someone yells at you in the call center, ask to talk for a 2nd level agent/resolution/advanced agent/supervisor. Insurance is complicated and call center agents for shipping companies are not excessivelly trained.

Also:
    The company I used to work for didn't insure anything framed with a glass on top (too likely to break and damage the art)and was skitish about canvas that was still stretched.

Thanks
    I did some digging on the fedex site and here is what I found
    and here is the original link
    http://fedex.com/us/services/customc...tries/art.html
    They obviously want the business...

Service Info
    FedEx Custom Critical Services

Printer-Friendly Art and Museum Transportation Services

When you need to ship art or museum-quality pieces, count on FedEx Custom Critical. Our team understands your needs and that every piece of artwork is unique. That’s why our customized services give you the choices that you deserve. Whether you are moving a single piece or arranging a multiple-stop exhibition tour, we have the knowledge to properly handle the unique shipping requirements for registrars, galleries, dealers, collectors and auction houses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our core service includes:

Exclusive-use, direct service available with a truck sized and equipment matched to meet your artwork's needs – whether you are shipping paintings, sculptures, fabrics or other fine artwork.
    Pickups and deliveries available 24/7/365 to meet your schedule or changes in your schedule.
    Continuous shipment monitoring with two-way satellite communications.
    Additional Care and Security

Your art will receive the care-in-handling it needs with our special equipment, from full-range temperature control to power liftgates, pads and straps.
    We offer a wide range of Secure Transportation Services that protect valuable shipments from theft or damage. You can receive the same security procedures we provide for many government agencies and contractors.
    Dual Driver Protective Service ensures someone is always with your shipment.
    Accommodations for couriers upon request.
    Air Solutions

With our Air Expedite Exclusive Use and Air Expedite Network services you can choose from even more options.
    We have continual custody within the FedEx family, so you always know the status of your shipment.
    Drivers are available to monitor your shipment until it is loaded on the aircraft and from the moment it's off loaded.
    A variety of Air Expedite security and monitoring options are also available.
    Couriers are available to fly along to monitor shipments in the air and on the ground upon approval.
    For more information on our art shipping services or to schedule an art shipment call FedEx Custom Critical at 1.866.280.1810 – or get rates and book your shipment online.