Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: An interesting view of pen and ink in Japan...

Thanks
    The thing that fascinates me most is just how tightly she holds her tools. I have a habitual death grip that people constantly try to "correct" - I'm a bit tired of being told I'm holding things wrong and how I have to do it this way or that way! You can accomplish good things even with a death grip, according to these videos, so a little part of me is kinda happy.

However, I hadn't thought of putting a plaster over ye olde drawing finger lump of doom. I wonder if that helps stop it hurting? Maybe I'll try.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudjuice View Post
    The thing that fascinates me most is just how tightly she holds her tools. I have a habitual death grip that people constantly try to "correct" - I'm a bit tired of being told I'm holding things wrong and how I have to do it this way or that way! You can accomplish good things even with a death grip, according to these videos, so a little part of me is kinda happy.

However, I hadn't thought of putting a plaster over ye olde drawing finger lump of doom. I wonder if that helps stop it hurting? Maybe I'll try.
    People might be a little overzealous with their "advice", but I think it's just of a practical nature. I too tend to hold my pen too tightly sometimes, and it helps me to loosen it. After a while my hand will start to hurt, and that only affects me badly. I don't want to end up with arm/hand fatigue/nerve damage into the future. So it's not about "wrong" or "right" but about protecting yourself (and your asset!)

Thanks
    There's just less of that than usual. She's obviously had tons of practice and knows exactly what she wants when she starts to draw.
    But don't forget that you have tons of pages with tons of the same stuff. It's a manga artist, they have to churn out product with an almost impossible speed. You can't reinvent the wheel with every page.

I've retouched INU YASHA for eight years straight for a German publisher (deleted the Japanese soundwords and drew what I assumed was beneath the signs, so that somebody else could put German soundwords onto the page without worries).
    Because of that I've seen certain patterns emerge: storytellingwise - every 15 pages an action scene, every 4 books more talking to move the plot and artwise - you often times see the same postures and heads over and over. With the exception of action scenes, there was seldom new ground broken.

Dunno if this directly translates to her work, but I thought I'd chime in. It might explain some of what what we see in the video. It's still an impressive accomplishment and doesn't take away anything.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sascha Thau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    But don't forget that you have tons of pages with tons of the same stuff. It's a manga artist, they have to churn out product with an almost impossible speed. You can't reinvent the wheel with every page.
    Actually, I was thinking that too. That's part of what I meant by "tons of practice". Not only tons of practice drawing, but tons of practice drawing manga in this style. Plus after enough pages, she's bound to have the characters and their outfits and so forth pretty well memorized, so she can knock 'em out over and over. (And like you say she's probably got a large repertoire of tricks and habits for layout, expressions and poses, stylization, etc., which would certainly speed things up...)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Actually, I was thinking that too. That's part of what I meant by "tons of practice". Not only tons of practice drawing, but tons of practice drawing manga in this style. Plus after enough pages, she's bound to have the characters and their outfits and so forth pretty well memorized, so she can knock 'em out over and over. (And like you say she's probably got a large repertoire of tricks and habits for layout, expressions and poses, stylization, etc., which would certainly speed things up...)

Thanks
    I'll just be over, REELING FROM THE AWESOME. *dies and is dead*

Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    If she can draw feet too then major props to her...
    She can.
    "Well that was random." -- Toph

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pheonee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Thanks for posting this, Ilaekae. Been looking for a new manga to read, this one looks pretty awesome. The art's insane!

Thanks
    Thanks for the lik and pics.
    I love it...looks like Japanese anime + engravings....so neat!

Thanks
    An AMAZING find there of detail!! I'm in awe, just plain awe. What commitment. >_< I'm...really at a loss for words, I just am amazed by the intricate details!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    I need to get into pen and ink.

Thanks
    Random question but just what is the pen that is being used? I have crow quills that use those nibs but that pen is much wider, and since she doesn't seem to be dipping it into a reservoir, I assume it is holding ink.

Thanks
    I love this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsong View Post
    Random question but just what is the pen that is being used? I have crow quills that use those nibs but that pen is much wider, and since she doesn't seem to be dipping it into a reservoir, I assume it is holding ink.
    I think she is dipping it, there's some brief blurry moments where it looks like she's doing something with the pen offscreen (probably dipping it. Very fast.) Looks like that pen holds more ink than a typical crowquill nib, though.

So far the guess is it's a G-nib (don't know if they sell those outside of Japan/Japanese outlets?)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast