Thanks

God damn it! Anyone had this problem with gesso before? Its lifting of after

scrubbing with turpentine! I bought some cheap linen that was acrylic primed Then i covered it with Galeria gesso 2 coats let it dry 12 hours between coats. That was 4 days ago and today whilst painting I noticed that the gesso was going "gummy" after a while of working. I had cooated the thing i a layer of galkyd. Also noticed that when wiping paint off it would wipe down very far showing some white form the original gesso. '

I left these canvases to dry in a basement that is cool maybe about 16 C. I think that there could be some dampness there too but not much. VERY frustrating to say the least.

I just spent a day stretching 15 canvases for a show in a few weeks time. Any idea on if they are salvageable? Like putting them in front of a building heater? Im not sure if once cured the gesso "stays" cured even if exposed to a more damp environment again.

Or should i just go with oil primed linen and throw it away?

SHIT!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn it, seems like my fancy oil primed linen is doing the same, but to a lesser degree. What the hell is going on? Ive noticed that if i spend extended periods of time in the studio, my nose dries up real bad ( I get sores inside my nostrils) and I get extensive weird ear problems the inner ear sort of swells up and I get wax buildup.

Man Ive been paying like 600 bucks a month for this place... I noticed that the oil primed that Ive had in the studio (the canvases have been stored in the other rooms, where its been cooler and presumably damper) havent got this problem.

Any experiencec would be helpful!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    hmm that's really weird. I'm not sure why this happened, but what I can tell you from my experience apprenticing with a materials obsessed painter is this:

It may be the humidity level. It may have appeared that the canvases were dry but because of the extended drying time, after you started painting and working into the surface, it started peeling off. Remember that oil paint and oil ground dries only after fully oxidizing. Unlike acrylic, it dries by the slow process of oxidization (putting it next to a heater won't help) If the studio is very humid, there's more H2O in the room which means less oxygen to oxidize and dry. Try putting a dehumidifier in the room and keep it on all the time. It worked for me. (had a similar predicament)

However on a different hypothetical note, the oil ground might be peeling also due to the fact that original acrylic gesso is to thick, thus not being able to adhere to the fibers of the canvas itself. It's structurally sound to paint oils on top of acrylics (NEVER the other way around) but if the original canvas was like quadruple primed, the oil will be repelled from it and not want to stick. The canvas or linen needs tooth before the oil ground can catch onto it. It sounds like the acrylic gesso is creating a barrier from this happening. The problem is probably a combo of both: high humidity and thick acrylic gesso.
    "Art is the invisible, rendered visible, wrought with love"
    - Frank Mason
    MY SKETCHBOOK http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=143696

Thanks
    Nice man, thanks! I have a humidity checker, its around 60% in there and 55 F. I gessoed only on top of the preprimed acrylic gessoed linen (sanded first), not on the oilprimed. what ive done now is brought all the stretched linen in to my studio from the other rooms, put a fan and a heater on them and Ill just leave them like that overnight, and check on them in the morning. I see that in the room where I stored the paintings, the paint is peeling off the wall in thick chunks.. I think I have to have a word with my landlord.

Thanks
    http://www.noteaccess.com/MATERIALS/AcrylicRG.htm

"F. The acrylic-primed canvas can be used without further preparation for painting with acrylic colors. However, painters who intend to use it as a base for oil painting should be aware that repeated rubbing of the surface with liberal amounts of turpentine, or with paints containing high proportions of turpentine, may cause the ground to dissolve. Such solvent action can be avoided by using less turpentine, by applying the paint with a lighter touch, or by applying a very meager coat of flake white artists' oil color over the entire canvas surface with a palette knife, without thinning the paint with any solvent. "

Aha! So just not gonna use turps on it!