Sketchbook: Doomed to Failure: Sketchbook (Working on New Project)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Doomed to Failure: Sketchbook (Working on New Project)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doomed to Failure: Sketchbook (Working on New Project)

Good Afternoon, Darlings.

So greetings over with... I've been haunting the elusive CA Critique sections when I have sketches involving pictures that I'd like to finish or complete. In my more recent one (if one posted on September 8th 2009 counts as “recent”), it was suggested that I would probably get more help with my drawings/sketches/awesome drawings that blow everyone's minds because of the amazing quality by having a sketchbook.

So I guess I should start with the fair warnings and all that good stuff:

I'm a hobby artist. I am not a professional artist. I am in college... to be a computer programmer, where's all my nerds at: Dragonic.getBetter(Critiques); (Java and D format don't get fussy because you are used to C++ and C)? This means that I have never had a proper art class outside of the 4th grade, yes the last time I had a “proper” art class was about 10 or so years ago. This is as far away from a professional artist as it gets people. If you don't want to waste your time (which has actually happened on CA before), I apologize for stealing about 2 minutes of your life for reading this paragraph. -bow-

Now, fair warning number 2. I like anime. I love manga. So I mimic the anime/manga style. Yes again, this is putting the cart before the horse I realize this and if you do not want to have to go through the basics with me and prefer to help someone who might actually have a base for the reason they draw a certain style, I apologize for stealing about 3 minutes of your life for reading this paragraph. -bow- I also apologize to all anime/manga haters. I know it's cliché. But I like the style. So if you're going to complain later on in the thread about how much anime sucks or is stealing your soul, I will personally reach into your chest and snatch your soul out and eat it. Maybe by consuming some of the souls of the artists on CA I'll draw better... or maybe I'll just suddenly feel the need to draw as many nudes as possible. Either way, it will be a win-win for me.

Now then: History

I started “drawing” when I was 4/5 – mostly one point perspective landscapes, the backs of people (cause fronts were hard), and trees with birds in them. Typical. Typical. Typical. I grew out of drawing until I was about again 10 years old when I started watch Le Gasp Sailor Moon and DBZ. I liked the art style, I liked the shows, I decided to pick up the hobby. I bought several drawing books over the years that all had a different style, and my style has been mutating for about the past four years.

I got on the art scene when I was 13, roughly. Start on Fanart-Central.net. Left. Went to Storm-artists.net, where I am still at today. I currently run a yearly (once every year) contest. My s/n is the same exact screenname. If ya'll want me to post links to my gallery I can but I'm assuming that it is a “no-no.” I probably will have repeats posted. YAY FOR REPEATS!

On here:

I occasionally visit (and I did stalk at one point) the C.H.O.W and C. O. W competitions. I've only participated (iffin you could call posting two pictures) in a C. O. W. before. That's about it minus the few critiques that I've gotten for 3 of the pictures that I've really wanted creatively.

Tools:
    Right now I'm running off of two sketchbooks. One large one and one small one (travel size, woot), I use staedler inking pens, whatever color pencils I can get into (I'm very FLAT colored, I don't like shadowing and I don't like highlight. I'm a picky-picky B. Just saying), and... I guess fair warning number 3 (belated) mechanical pencils. Yes. My wrists will die one day. But then again, I'm sure they'll die from my leet coding skills. Dragonic.terminate()

Call me DF or Drago (notice G, not C), or whatever – just don't expect me to respond to “hey you.” I'm a southern chick. We don't do hey yous in the south.

Here's what's in my Sketchbooks:

It's horrible. I also leave a lot of white space because I'm a loser.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by DragonicFlames; June 9th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more drawings to update this thread with - unfortunately the weekend hike experience did not give me much to look at or to attempt to draw seeing as I was looking down the entire time as well as not being able to actually stay the entire time. -shrug- Not like there was much scenery to look at anyway - all the leaves where down, and there was still snow on the ground.

Well looks like I have the curse of the huge heads and the wee little bodies. I'm wondering if it has anything to with the fact that I'm not used to scaling down my proportions because of the teeny travel sketchbook that I'm using. Besides the hands suck too.

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to (or if I should) post my 30 second drawing that I've been doing off of posemaniacs. The only reason I'm not is because they aren't complete (in any sense) and they look... down right horrible.

I'm not sure exactly what I should be posting in here (though looking at the other sketchbooks it's either someone's practice thread or it's someone's let's fix up mai cool drawing picture thread). So... should I dedicate to one picture(or pictures) or should I post more practice work? I'm not sure. I'm rather confused.

Also can I get some helpful links on background creations as well as anatomy explanations for real life drawing. I'll go a-hunting through the CA threads and forums for some, but any others (to save my lazy hindquarters) would be much appreciated. Or sketchbooks that were hidden from my reality. WOOT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is what I'm currently working on

It's a project for an art site that I'm a member of - shuuushhhhh.... no one tell anyone about it. D: Ok? Iz a secret.

The first one is a sketch that I thought I was going to work off of until I realized that the clouds suck. The second one I started off with black then moved to red because of the fact that there really won't be any "blacks" in the finished product.

I may need some help with coloring and getting it to be what it should look like or what I have pictured in my brain, which is a golden (dark) door, which the clouds and the lions (stfu, I know my lions suck right now) that kind of has it's own glowing light. The little dude is not going to be really changed that much because he's not the point of the picture. I will be attaching some clothing/hair/hands etc to him though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added more color. Thinking about putting on a layer of golden/harvest gold yellow colors to help make this appear to be more like a golden door with images engraved into it. What should I do about the lines on the lions/clouds should i make them a darker golden color to emphasize that they are sticking out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Half colored:

Not exactly pleased that the lions are just lion heads, but that was my fault, didn't leave enough space when I started coloring over the finished areas to give them room. Plus the claws began to warp in the undercoat. Dx

I keep scanning it crooked. Guess I'll have to take it out of my sketchbook to scan it. Dx

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.