Sketchbook: Justin Beckett - SKETCHBOOK - My journey to creating my imagination! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Justin Beckett - SKETCHBOOK - My journey to creating my imagination!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Donna: Thanks for the tip, yeah I haven't really studies portraits yet...got do that. The last one was intentional though.

2kre8
    : Thanks man, yes, do it!

sweeney:
    Thanks dude!! Yeah, lovin the ball point pen right now!

Here is some more, did allll of this last night...more pose maniacs 30 sec poses, love doing these...some 30 - 1min poses from ref trying to keep my pen on paper and looking more at my subject, also trying to wrap my head around how to break the figure down into cubes, some more perspective studies and a little building doodle from mind while writing some notes, did it pretty quick.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  137.1 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  160.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    men, studies-is always good way to grow. Keep it up. Ir on right way =)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, those gestures are looking pretty good!

With the three point perspective, I would try and spread out some of those v points so that the perspective is less distorted/unrealistic.

Keep up the posting, buddy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sublimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice anatomy studies!
    Keep posting!

Cheers,

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihail View Post
    Frankly I kinda like the bright sky in the second one as it is. Concerning where to put contrast you may wanna check out this thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174506
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett View Post
    p sage:[/B] Thank you for answering my question. Although, Even though I do like to take all comments into consideration, I happen to dissagree with you on this one to an extent. I think you are partly correct. I have been checking with some very successful canadian painters who I am friends with on this, and they all told me what I am doing is correct. Basically putting a light in an area where you want to guide your viewers eye, a focal area or point is what it is. From my knowledge this is a very strong technique to use in some cases. Also I have painted landscapes quite a bit from life, and this is the same thing life shows us, there are lighted areas around the spots I have put the light. If you refer to Jack Hamm's landscape drawing book he also point out techniques like this, focusing on a focal area, you can use darks and lights to guide the eye. Looking back at some master painters I noticed they also have done the same...but, I do want to research what you mentioned more. If you have any more advice as to why this is wrong, please, please let me know, I love to learn new things, and I would love to correct my mistake if I am wrong. I am also going to study that link Mihail suggested.
    I suppose it could be used as a device, but it violates aerial perspective. In other words, all sense of depth is lost. If you're ok with that, you essentially have 2D paintings there. It's just that from my perspective, the reason you would show a horizon or a mountain line would be to show the illusion of depth.

All I'm saying is that those works don't have that. With aerial perspective, they would.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to hear that you are starting anew with your life. Life sucks sometimes. Gotta take the good with the bad sometimes. Learn from it and move on. Keep up the studies. As far as your environment paint sketches, strong values in the foreground and less value in background. Saturations are usually stronger foreground and less in background. Keep studying. I haven't posted anything in my sketchbook in hellas, so just hop on my blog to see the latest work if you want to know what I've been up to. Later Justin, you been helping in my journey, so I want you to see the results of that. Later dude. Keep grinding it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow rocking the perspective, I attended sheridan in Toronto for one summer, International animation summer school, One book they recommend was the Perspective for Comic book Artist. It breaks down every aspect of perspective, maybe you
    know about it already, if not check it out its a good book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Your studies and sketches are crazy good! I enjoyed browsing through them. Waiting for your next ups. Cheers

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin how are ya? Read your intro in here and its cool that you have decided to go for what you want with no excuses! Your studies are looking good too gonna be lotsa hard work and perseverance in this thread i do believe. By the way cool website did you design it?

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings, I wish you that your "start" can be great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice figure studies, and great studio

My first sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...15#post2695215

take a look!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job studying the figure and your landscape paintings are awesome! The colors on this one blow me away. Though I agree with P Sage's air perspecive critique on that one, the horizon looks pretty dark and desaturated to be that distant. On braking the figure into simple blocks, you'd have a lot of help from Bridgman's books. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hows it going im liking your 30 second poses you capture the basic gesture will with just a few lines it looks good as far as the blocks of the body go good luck thats what my anatomy teacher would stress to us all the time is the block structure and its harder than it sounds maybe break up the back and chest area onto diagonal planes instead of straight up and down ... as far as the disscusion on your paintings im no expert by any means but maybe put more detail in the foreground and none in the background to counter balance the whole saturation desaturation thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies man. Nice to see that you're really dedicated this time around, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool perspective studies and figure studies. I agree with Smuli on studying Bridgman if you're gonna simplify into blocks. And yes, I'm Azam's brother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I love you guys, I am so grateful for all of your support, you motivate me! On another note, I am so hooked on drawing, I love it so much, I just want to do it all the time! Yesterday I drank a redbull, don't really do that ever, and I think I turned into a drawing maaachhine, haha, drew up a storm, it was so much fun. Although, I did notice that my visual perception is more accurate while not consuming any kind of caffeine. It always reminds me of that part in Yes Man, when Jim Carey drinks a red bull, hahaha! Well here is some stuff, Thank you for all your comments and crits! Mostly all this stuff was done really quick, still life from life 15 mins, a little robot dude except I was originally just playing with shapes, but turned out kind of cool, I think I am going to play with more stuff like this, kind of helped me feel the shape and 3 dimension of things, A 30 min portrait in ball point pen from life of my g/f, prob like 98% accurate on this one, she is awsome, and patient haha. Also, some random quick head drawings, prob about 3 mins each, some more 30 sec pose maniacs and some 30 sec - 1 min ref figure studies - did these in ball point pen, but also tried pencil, felt more free with pencil. These are really good for building your eye, doing lots of these helps you be able to quickly see your subject accurately, and they are really fun!

Verehin: Hey man, thank you so much, this means a lot from you, glad I'm going the right way!

Sublimus: Hey dude, thank you, yes, your totally right, this is something I have been meaning to do for a while, but its just so much fun having warper perspective, lol, just kidding! Gonna do this next time I do perspective studies!

Jorge Gecov: Thannnk you!

p sage: Hey Sage, I think I understand what you mean a lot more now, I am going to try this out on my next paintings, thank you for hanging in there and critiquing. Cheers!

Beelow: Thank you. Yes, that is so true, have to start over sometimes, I think this time everything feels nicer, in life and drawing...super excited man! I am going to try and stress the whole less saturation and more in the foreground thing, see if I like the results. I will check out your work...I am glad I am helping you.

2kre8:
    Hey thank you, yes, I actually have that book, I think I got through a quarter of it a long time ago, really want to check it out again. I also have a good one called perspective made easy, really breaks things down!

witcrack:
    Thanks mannn!!

latigid: Hey dude, I am very good. You? Thank you, yes, this is it my friend, no excuses. Excuses are BS, our mind plays on us. No, I didn't design my site, I think there is a link at the bottom of my site...I payed a friend of mine. I organized my blog though, haha

dleoblack:
    Thank you!

canadair:
    Thanks Really like this studio better then my last, needs some tidying up though.

smuli: Thank you, yeah, that one was sold before it left my easel. "smiles" Yes, I am going to try out his advice on some newer paintings. I am wondering though about when the mountains are closer to you and not very distant, like the one in that painting, they aren't super far away...since that one was painted partly from life, I almost got the contrast exact...hmmm. Thanks, I am starting to play with a bit of bridgman now. I will try and post some of that soon.

prsnsweeney: Thanks dude! Yeah, it is pretty tought to draw the whole form of the figure, but when you practice doing it, you begin to feel the form and subconsciously start to draw all over the figure rather then the outline only. Yeah, going to try that out.

PieMonster: Thanks dude!

Sycra: Thank you. Yeah, totally checking out bridgman right now I thought it was you man, good to see your still working at it!

llex_paul:
    Thank you!

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  gestures.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  304.9 KB

Name:  ref_gestures.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  284.8 KB

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Line work is pretty good...

You've got some decent line of continuity going in some of the figures. The figures are a little lacking in proportion and unity. The prescribed practice for that would be Bridgman study (to begin to relate forms... one side of the rib cage with the other, one side of the face with the other, one eye to the other, etc)... as well as good, measured drawings from the figure to get the proportions sorted. Always use the head as a unit of measure; establish those intervals of the face and use those for everything.

When doing stuff from imagination, always think of ways to unify your subject--draw the eyes at the same time, one side of the face at the same time as the other... find lines of continuity between the head, neck, pelvis, etc.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage: Hey, thank you for this, although, as stated above the point of the recent ones, weren't aiming for exact proportions considering mostly all of those were done within 30 sec to 1 min...I was mostly just practicing keeping my hand on paper, therefore improving hand eye coordination, and gesture drawing and the 30 sec pose maniac poses...are merely just gestures...I find if I focus to much on proportions on short poses like those you get to tight and can't get the whole figure down. I feel its better to stay loose when doing gestures. I like to save searching for proportions for longer poses such as 2 - 5 mins or longer. Thank you for that though. As for the last bit of your comment, yeah, I agree, that is definitely an accurate way to build up anything really...unity is important, thanks for the reminder. I will try and incorporate some of what you said into some longer poses when I do them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey love the gesture work looks like your gettin better and thanks for the comment ha and thanks for the compliment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some awesome gestures here--I love those eyes all the way at the top ^_^ I kind of agree with P-sage, but then again it is a style that I am not used to so all things work. Keep it up ^_^

My full range of work: http://anjyil.deviantart.com/gallery/

My weird sketchbook here (it`s best to just skip to the end haha): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post2430006

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!!

Read your intro and its so great you've made the firm choice to commit to this..I know its hard, really hard at times but there is already evidence of much progress in your works already. I love seeing the progress in these threads, observing linework becoming more confident, seeing someone begin to understand form..its awesome to see that progress ^_^
    I also like the pics of your studio, its cool to see how people set up their workspaces.

Keep it up! Its definitely going in the right direction!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    New Sketchbook? I likesss!
    Looking very good and strong, sweet studies too.
    You know what Im gonna say though crank out all that imagination work!
    Looking forward to it!

Take care, best of luck with this new start, just keep strong and always push through the hardtimes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your support Justin, i really apreciate it.

Good amount of ballpoint pen sketches, this is a great idea i should do them more myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa man nice studies. Are you drawing with a pen? I definitively can't do that heheÁ
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of studies here, very motivational Great to see you practicing the figure so persistently, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweeney: Hey dude, thanks so much and your welcome!

anjyill: Thank you

ForgottenState: Np, thank you so much! Yeah totally, gotta keep pushin...always. I agree I really like seeing the progress of others, that is why I want to post everything I can, even crappy drawings in my thread, to show myself my progress as well as for others to learn and be inspired/motivated. Totally its always fun walking into others studios! I'm glad I am going the right direction, gotta go full speed in that direction!

lilnebo: Haha, thanks so much! I appreciate that. Yeah, your right, right after you said that, I started to crank out the imagination work, I think I am doing pretty good, from basically 3 weeks of study recently...I am already drawing so pretty good things from imagination and remembering figures and environments etc etc....I will post soon, once I get something a "little" bit better. Thanks...its very true, you always have to push through the hard times...cause if you don't you could get stuck in a parylisis type state of fear. Pretty much the fear of unknown territories.

Icecold: Hey no prob! Thank you! Do them, they force you to challenge yourself.

andres333: Thanks, yeah dude, its blue ball point pen.

cgaddict: Thank you! I will

My best friend is leaving for 2 years in a couple days, so I have been spending as much time with him as possible...Here are some shit sketches...just a little bit of pose maniacs...and just starting to play with bridgman...trying to wrap my head around how to study his sketches...will post more soon...

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, some really nice colour stuff.

Figure studies are good too, nice to see someone else who does their sketching with a ballpoint.

Looking for Feedback! Please visit my sketchbook..

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=178181&page=8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! You're cranking it!

Time to draw/update for me!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26