Sketchbook: Justin Beckett - SKETCHBOOK - My journey to creating my imagination!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Justin Beckett - SKETCHBOOK - My journey to creating my imagination!

Time for a new sketchbook, time to improve...

If you feel like looking here is my sketchbook, from waaaay back.

Old Sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42471

Some stuff to start this out:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JustinBeckett; October 30th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from other sketch book to start this outATTACH]933728[/ATTACH]

Name:  Building10.jpg
Views: 3064
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  beared_man_statue5.jpg
Views: 3092
Size:  321.6 KB

Name:  Female_Figure_Study7.jpg
Views: 4083
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  Knapp_Fashion7.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  249.8 KB

Name:  sarah_portrait.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  218.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moreATTACH]933748[/ATTACH]

Name:  still_life8.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  354.0 KB

Name:  Untitled-4.jpg
Views: 3126
Size:  301.9 KB

Name:  Untitled-6.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  313.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 sec pose maniac gestures, plus some other studies

moreATTACH]933755[/ATTACH]

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 4167
Size:  317.2 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 4024
Size:  326.0 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 3781
Size:  347.2 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  386.7 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  231.7 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 2747
Size:  313.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice start for the new thread good luck with your goal of conquering enviros and good gestures just a thought for your enviros you could try tying in your figure work with them just a thought

my sb http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183262

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New sketchbook! sneaky heh

Will be cool to see this one progress as well, see ya round aye.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, you've got a good handle on figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up liking the studies!

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the figure studies are looking good. I feel that the best way to study the human form is by doing life studies. Try finding some life drawings courses where you live. Then you also meet and chat other artists.

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures have a lot of energy in them == > GOOD

Value relationships in your paintings make them not work. They're all different colors, but middle values. Makes them flat. No depth. The lights that you use are in the background sometimes, which doesn't work. Your lightest light should never be in the deepest spaces.

You'll have to do simple value studies with white spheres (ping pong balls? White billiard balls?) and 45 degree lighting. Also do cylinders and other simple shapes. Wrap the core of the shadow around the shape.

Once you get that cooking, you'll be ready for the next step.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful sketchbook you're starting here! Keep pushing with tones studies.
    You're already really great and showing lots of potential for even more! Loving your use of colors, in enviroments especially, actually eviroments seem to be where you're at your most confident in general. That's quite unusual and really awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Yeah...your figure work is strong and your gestures are natural and loose (not stiff). Good stuff and keep 'em coming!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 2,426 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck with your 2nd sketchbook then...

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's awesome that you decided to take the bull by its horns and draw draw draw no matter what! I know how hard it is for most people to keep motivated after a full day of job.

p_sage has a good point about values. You can always throw a solid black layer set to Color over everything to check the values.

Your environments are awesome! Is that traditional work? A good environment blog to follow is Stapleton Kearns, he offers good advice and tips, posts progress of his traditional paintings and often breaks down other people's paintings and explains why things work so well on them.

Good luck on your journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the figuredrawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thank you everyone for your comments and great motivation, I am honored!

prsnsweeney: Thank you! Yes, that is a great idea, I thought about it before, but have only tried putting figures in my environments a bit. Now that I am studying figure drawing more, this might be easier, I will definitely give this a try! Thank you for the reminder!

iolarnula:
    Yep, I am so sneaky. hehe. Thank you!

The_Flying_Dutchman:
    Thanks so much!

stormrider85: Awsome, thank you.

Fumble: Hey Fumble! Yes, you are totally right that is the best way. I have life drawing about 20 mins or so from me. I use to go regularly but then I got caught up with things. Planning on getting back at it soon though!

p sage: Hey, sage, thank you for your critique. Appreciate your input. Your right about some of my paintings having not enough value, what do you mean about the lightest light being in the deepest spaces, what do you mean by deepest space? I will try out the more simple value studies,
    any examples?

Ariel9: Thank you so much Ariel, what a nice comment!

Jephyr X: Thank you! Yes, must keep those gestures and figures loose!

LtPlissken: Thank you.

Donna:
    Thank you, yes, it is quite hard drawing after work, but its what I want so I have to no matter what! What do you mean by solid black layer set? How do I do that? Yes, those are traditional paintings, thank you for the blog link pretty awsome painter!

DStraX:
    Thank you, I will!!

I actually just got back from a 3 day surfing trip to Tofino BC, with some good friends, I haven't gone away for so long and it was so much fun! If you haven't gone surfing I highly recommend it! Except be careful not to go out to far or you might get caught in a rip current like my friends did for 1.5 hrs...scary...I had to save them. Just play it safe! I had a blast, got to experience life a bit and I feel refreshed and renewed! So I didn't get much drawing done lately...but I needed the vacation...so now I'm back at the drawing!

Here are some quick drawings really quick figures from ref...and some eye studies...oh and some quick skull studies, gonna do a ton more of those...plus more pose maniacs...seriously pose maniac 30 sec gestures rock! I find these so useful, after doing these for only a little while already, I am drawing figures better and better from imagination, I love it! I will post some really beginner imagination stuff when I get a bit better at this! Its growing though!

Most of this stuff was done last night.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 3039
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  gestures_posemaniacs.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  276.2 KB

Last edited by JustinBeckett; March 25th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good loocking, nice start keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the amount of gestures you have deffinitely see you getting better and im going to visit this pose maniacs site ... keep posting

my sb http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=183262&page=3

Great start to a new sketchbook only problem is now you will have to keep it up. Eyecandy.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett View Post

p sage: Hey, sage, thank you for your critique. Appreciate your input. Your right about some of my paintings having not enough value, what do you mean about the lightest light being in the deepest spaces, what do you mean by deepest space? I will try out the more simple value studies,
    any examples?
    Maybe this will illustrate better for you. Put the highest contrast in your foreground--always. That will always give you better sense of depth. (Once you've got all of this stuff under your belt, you can disregard that rule on purpose.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

21. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! You seem to be able to block in your values pretty well...now it's about pushing your work beyond that stage. Doing some life studies traditionally would be a good idea too. The good thing about working traditionally is that your skills will often transfer pretty smoothly over to digital painting. P Sage made a good point about your paintings. As objects recede in space, they lose contrast and fade more into the value/color of the background.
    I'm really liking your figure and anatomy studies though. You're definitely on the right track with those, just keep up what you're doing Looking forward to more!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Maybe this will illustrate better for you. Put the highest contrast in your foreground--always. That will always give you better sense of depth. (Once you've got all of this stuff under your belt, you can disregard that rule on purpose.)
    Frankly I kinda like the bright sky in the second one as it is. Concerning where to put contrast you may wanna check out this thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174506

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mihail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin. Good to see you are working hard and drawing like a maniac. I'm sure you're gonna be working at a game company in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellloo justin!
    Its really awesome to hear that your totally going for your art goals. I hope breaking out of everything and really going for it helps you and works out i can support a decision like that for sure.

Atm the stuff that looks good is where youre not over complicating too much. The black and white studies at the top of the page look real nice, where ure just considering form with a limited brush. Some of your gestures/anatomy look good similarly where youre keeping it simple and just nailing the right shape/proportions etc.
    Might be something to keep in mind. Keeping it simple in favoring getting the perfect shape and form.

Ill be lurking over here in the corner! Ready for more!
    keep it up!

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    towy: Thank you!

prsnsweeney:
    Thanks sweeney, mind if I call you sweeney? Yes, visit the pose maniac site, it is such valuable study! Do it often.

Mitze: Thank you so much, I will my friend, I will!!!

p sage:
    Thank you for answering my question. Although, Even though I do like to take all comments into consideration, I happen to dissagree with you on this one to an extent. I think you are partly correct. I have been checking with some very successful canadian painters who I am friends with on this, and they all told me what I am doing is correct. Basically putting a light in an area where you want to guide your viewers eye, a focal area or point is what it is. From my knowledge this is a very strong technique to use in some cases. Also I have painted landscapes quite a bit from life, and this is the same thing life shows us, there are lighted areas around the spots I have put the light. If you refer to Jack Hamm's landscape drawing book he also point out techniques like this, focusing on a focal area, you can use darks and lights to guide the eye. Looking back at some master painters I noticed they also have done the same...but, I do want to research what you mentioned more. If you have any more advice as to why this is wrong, please, please let me know, I love to learn new things, and I would love to correct my mistake if I am wrong. I am also going to study that link Mihail suggested.

jackpot anjr90:
    Thank you, yeah, the value studies in my sketchbook right now, were meant to be blocked in with large brushes avoiding detail. But you are right, I could push my values even more for stronger paintings. I am planning on going to life drawing again very soon, I use to go regularly, maybe this week or next week, once I get some more money I am aware about the colors receding into space, some of these paintings the mountains were somewhat closer, painted from life, and they were quite blueish in color and strong contrast...But thank you for the reminder, maybe I can push this a bit more next time. Thank you for your advice and comments, totally appreciate it!

Mihail: Thank you, I agree with you...and thank you for that link it is soooo helpful!!!! Going to study this!

Sycra: Hey Sycra, do I know you!? That name sounds familiar are you Azam's brother!? Thank you for your comments dude!

PHATandy: Thank you so much dude! Yes, this is it for sure, no going back, only moving forward, with every spare moment I have! No more excuses ever! What is the point with excuses anyways? There all BS. Yes, That's exactly what I am trying to do, keeping things simple focusing on shape and form...cause really at this studying point, there is not point in getting tight. I want to learn first. Staying loose is best. Thank you so much for your comment!

Here are some quickies, gonna work harder through this week, the weekend came to fast, and this is all I got...a little bit of pose maniacs, some 1 min ref gestures, some portraits from life and stuff from imagination in there somewhere, and some perspective studies. Some of those portrait studies from life, I did really fast, and didn't focus to much on likeliness, I wanted to keep lose on these for now, If I want likeliness I need to take a bit more time, I will do these too. I have so much to study! I need to quit my job....

Thank you everyone for your support and motivation!!!!

Name:  gestures.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  204.5 KB

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  61.8 KB

Last edited by JustinBeckett; March 29th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About those layers, you just make a layer, fill it with pure black (white works too) and set the layer mode to Color. It shows you the values in black & white Ta-daa!

Nice studies so far, focus on proportions of the face a bit more You exaggerated nose and eyes in the last update, not sure if that was intentional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studio

I thought I would upload this...took it just for you guys I always like seeing others studios. Here are some pieces of my current studio...its a fairly good size compared to what my last 2 were. 1st studio was combined to my bedroom, second, was really small. This one is triple the size of my second

Name:  studio.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  88.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey justin thanks for stoping by my sketchbook, I know its kinda hard to get any responses, but i like your studies, i need to do more figure /anatomy studies, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha ya feel free to call me sweeney most people call me that actually and thanks for the comment in my sb, and it looks like your still favoring the blue ball point pen nice =]
    and i like your portrait studies keep posting man

my sb http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=183262&page=3

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26