CEZANNE

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: CEZANNE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CEZANNE

Part 1:

Six years ago, on Sunday 16 March 2008,(1) I watched a television program about the French artist Paul Cezanne(1839-1906). From Cezanne’s early forties until his death at age 66 what some call “this father of all modern art” worked more and more in isolation and in privacy, a virtual recluse. This was the central aspect, among many, of Cezanne’s life that interested me since that tendency toward increasing artistic isolation, drawing on the familiar in my work, doggedly struggling to deal with complexity, the need for a place to be by myself came to characterize my life as my fifties advanced and turned, year by year, into my sixties. After more than fifty years(1954-2004) of a high sociability quotient, working alone became more and more paramount in my daily life.–Ron Price with thanks to(1)ABC TV, 16/3/’08: 4:00-5:00 p.m.

Part 2:

I, too, needed, that attention,
    that concentration, exploration,
    to capture the truth of perception,
    understanding, imagination’s design,
    belief, desire, the familiar, complexity.

I, too, was a recluse of sorts with my own
    isolation and aloneness, although a social
    religion kept me in touch with an immense
    artificial world of sociability, of a necessary
    and essential reservedness, stylization, talk,
    democracy, for the sake of talking with its
    own laws, a changing of subjects, some play
    of relations, joining and loosening, winning
    and succumbing, giving and taking, means
    to liveliness, a solemn consciousness and
    harmony where everyone can play the game
    and the giver becomes invisible behind some
    kind of play-form, some collective, some airy
    realm where life emerges in the flux of the
    facile and happy, producers lose themselves
    in their products, where a certain tragic vision
    encompasses the weak and the strong and feeds
    on a deep and loyal relation to aesthetic charms
    which embody the finest and subtlest dynamics
    of broad and rich social existence, not negative
    conventionalism merely, but a type of liberation
    and relief where the latent forces of reality
    reverberate dimly and their gravity evaporates,
    or so one would hope, into a mere attractiveness.

Ron Price
    22/3/'08 to 25/8/'14.
    (posted for Concept Art)

Part 3:

In its essence being cultured and attaining the first element of perfection lies in “learning and the cultural attainments of the mind.” One’s purely personal dispositions and one’s mental life attain their full idiom and personality as one’s circle increases, at least in some sense. The possibility of fully developing one’s inner life and personality lies in this social direction. However, isolation is not a strictly individual condition. It in no way implies the absence of society. Isolation and aloneness attain a very real and positive significance as an effect of society at a distance. Isolation is, indeed, a form of interaction. It is characterized by distance between the individual and society, an imagined society, an abstract one or a real one.

The first condition of having to deal with somebody at all is to know with whom one has to deal. Knowledge of another person is reciprocal, but generally not equal on both sides. One can, however, never know another person absolutely since this would amount to an infinite, an endless sharing, a duplication and repetition, of experiences. We form a sense of unity with others, any other person, from those fragments through which another is accessible to us. The unity that may develop, depends among other things, upon what that other person permits us to see about their inner and outer life. Psychological knowledge of a person is not some stereotype of that person but depends, like knowledge of all external nature, upon the forms, the details, the information, which the person gives and which they receive in turn.

Part 4:

The giving of a gift, say in these email posts at this site, must not be considered isolation. It is not a one way act, but it possesses a relation to the total personalities of the two parties. Gratitude consists not only in the return of the gift, but in the consciousness that this gift in some ways cannot be returned. There is something, Simmel states, which places the receiver in a permanent position with respect to the giver. The first gift, given in spontaneity, has a voluntary character which no return gift can have. That first gift has a freedom without any duty attached to it. A gift once accepted, engenders an inner, a mysterious, relation which can never be eliminated completely. This is because gratitude is a feeling which results and is rendered by the recipient.

Last edited by RonPrice; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:05 PM. Reason: To update the wording
    married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14, and a Baha'i for 54(in 2013).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I adore Cezanne

I saw his art works some time ago....they are breather taking and so impressive.
    Love him!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard a rumor that a young Picasso showed him his work and Cezanne basically told him to get the hell away from him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Belated thanks folks

Belated thanks folks. I will add some words about Cezanne below.-Ron
    ---------------------------------
    If I was asked the question: Who are your favorite artists? There are several dozen art movements and hundreds if not thousands or artists that can be accessed in both libraries and now, with a click or two on the internet. I will name two famous artists, though, whose work I like and then two whom I have known personally: Cezanne and Van Gogh, Chelinay and Drew Gates.

I find it just about impossible to answer a question like who are my favorite artists given my eclectic tastes. As my years of retirement from the world of jobs and nose to the grindstone, so to speak, lengthen(1999 to the present) I find there are more and more artists in the history of art whose work I am just finding out about and learning to appreciate.-Ron in Australia

married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14, and a Baha'i for 54(in 2013).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like reading cézanne's letters. apparently he didn't much like writing though.

"Taste is the best judge. It is rare. Art only addresses itself to an excessively small number of individuals."

saw a good-sized collection of cézannes at the courtauld a couple of years ago. you could get right up to them, stick your nose to the canvas and lick the brushstrokes if you'd wanted. i hate galleries that have invisible forcefields a few feet from the walls, but i know that's how it has to be sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    I heard a rumor that a young Picasso showed him his work and Cezanne basically told him to get the hell away from him.
    I heard another rumor where it says Picasso could do a blind contour to perfect proportion and the line end up connecting. My instant reaction is "no he didn't" lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC_j8EysOxA

Please; how do I embed youtube videos?
    I've done what it told me to do on YouTube... but it doesn't work!

Last edited by Chris Bennett; December 12th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chris - Take the number/letter combination at the end of the video link ( hC_j8EysOxA ) after the = sign and put them in the space between the brackets, but with no spaces anywhere. (I've put spaces in because the code wouldn't show up otherwise).

like this: [ yt ] [ /yt ]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following

YIPEEEE!

It works!

I like Aly, Aly... he does something for me.
    I like Aly, Aly... the Youtube I see.
    The power of good nature... etc.

Thanks Aly that's most appreciated.

Last edited by Chris Bennett; December 12th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FYI Re: u-tube

In January 2012, it was estimated that visitors to YouTube spent an average of 15 minutes a day on the site, in contrast to the four or five hours a day spent by a typical U.S. citizen watching television. I thought you folks might like to know this one---thanks to Wikipedia.-Ron

Members who have read this thread: 9