Art: My concept and painting art portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon My concept and painting art portfolio

This is y posting after working for 2 days is not always the best, lol.

I was gonna ask....any crits are very welcome and asked for. I would really like to improve but, as you can see Im kinda stuck at the moment.
    Im having trouble pushing past this point. Any help would be really welcome!

Hello everyone here are some of the works that I have done over the last year or so.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did making them.

Thansk!~
    zeo

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Zeorymer0015; March 19th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another painting for you to look at.

Just did this one.
    Hope you guys like it!
    Trying my hand at more sci fi

ZEO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it =)

I do see that you are wery good at form, skiss and lines. Litle more work on the color.
    GL in future.

besides this in my first replay i just joined conceptart.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnbanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks you!

and welcome to CA!! a this is a great site with really talented people!

I will try to work on color but Im partially color blind so I have troubles selecting color.

Thanks again for the comment!

Zeo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something New

Struggles with this for a lot.

Not sure how much I like it after I spent so much time on it.
    Bah...hope you guys like it!

Any tips or crits are very welcome.

Zeo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thought I'd say what I noticed.

Your images overall feel very flat, often because there's not a lot of contrast in the values, or the lighting doesn't make sense.

Take a look at the fifth image in the thread, the ninja-soldier leaning against the truck, and analyze the lighting on him. A good way to see this more clearly would be to take it into photoshop and go to Image> Adjustments> Hue/Saturation> and desaturate it completely, so that all you can see is the lighting information.

Now consider, where is your lighting coming from?

His arm is being lit from the right, but the arm on the left is just as bright, even though the gun is between it and whatever is lighting the other arm. Also, if the light is coming from the right of the image, why are we seeing the left side of his face? And why are his man-boobs being lit from below when nothing else is? You're also seeing shine on the bicep of the arm that's holding the gun such as only occurs in metal. Even if it was oiled, his skin wouldn't be reflecting light like that.

Take a look at this image:
    http://stahlberg.cgsociety.org/gallery/718864/

It's also at night, and at about the same level of darkness, but will you take a look at the skin? Her skin looks like it's actual skin colour, right? Now pick the colours in Photoshop to see what they actually are...

...There's no actual peach or brown, is there? When you look, it's actually made up of various blues and purples. But the skin still looks real because the surrounding colours are even more strongly blue than the skin.

We've all seen this before. You take an object that you know is yellow, then you put it under red light and it looks orange. If you're lighting someone at night, the sky and environment around you will reflect that same dark blue of the sky back at the person and everything else, and all the colours will shift accordingly. Even ambient light is coloured, it's just that sometimes the colour is white.

Lighting determines how everything appears. Every single object you see - every mouse cord, every roof tile, every finger, every fold of cloth - is being lit by a particular light source, from a particular direction, in a particular colour. It determines what you can see and what colour things appear to be. You're thinking about lighting in some of your pieces, but you don't apply the same thought to everything, and sometimes you make decisions that aren't logically based.

Be analytical, heck, be scientific, in how you approach those choices and it'll bring the quality of your images way up.

I'd highly recommend to you get an account on CGSociety and submit pieces to this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...even+Stahlberg

This guy gives paintovers to people, which is a HUGE help to see what can be improved.

I'd also recommend taking this course when it comes out again (which should be within the next six months): http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...52#post6222152

It covers so incredibly much information. I'm taking it right now (it's almost finished), and I'm learning a lot. Some of what I talked about to you I even didn't know until I took this. There's even professional artists taking the course and they're learning things. It's somewhat expensive, but it's definitely worth it, so if you wanted to try that I'm sure it would jumpstart your growth as an artist.

Good luck in reaching your art dreams!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

These design are simply awesome. Great work. You should surely take participate in the upcoming contest.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.