Thanks

Balancing Academia and Art?

Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone else who is majoring in something that is not art related.

Since I'm largely supported by scholarship money, I need to keep up my grades and community service. A little frustrating really. So unfortunately, art tends to take a backseat. I do have time to draw, but it's never as much as I would like to devote.

If anyone else is in the same boat, how do you handle your non-art studies and artistic pursuits? Maybe I can take a leaf out of your book and kill my constant frustrations.
    SKETCHBOOK
    "In criticizing, the teacher is hoping to teach. That's all."- Bankei

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't know if it really counts because I am in a middle college, but...

It is that fact that I usually set art aside. But, I at times would try to incorporate it into my school works so that I do not go insane. Doodling in class seems to help too, especially when you get a good idea during a lecture. XD However, if I find that I haven't drawn in a while for myself, I would use the time usually spent for sleeping/homework to draw, as I am currently doing, which might not be the greatest idea ever.

I do not know what kind of other circumstances you are in, but here are some advice to consider if you had not thought of them (but I bet you did): Get everything that you really need to get finished, done so you do have some leftover time, be really good at scheduling and/or make time for your art, be it by making time for it or setting aside time for it. (<-- Okay, this last part sounds redundant...)

But in the end, I wish you the best of luck. :)
    Last edited by Anisette; March 17th, 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I am studying for a masters degree in biology at my university and yes, sometimes it is hard to get time over for art and I don't either get to devote as much of my time to art as I wish I could have. Example this and the last week I have almost completely devoted to a morphological and genetic analysis of a plant you never heard of and after that my brain was like a porridge. But when I started studying art fo' real some months ago I now use time as efficient as possible, I draw on the buss to the uni, if a lecture is a bit boring and I feel I will get more out of reading the coursebooks then I draw, sometimes during breaks I draw, after school I force myself to go study old roman statues located at my university and I try and do this each day (if I had gone home in between I would have been all like "nah, I'll do it tomorrow"). For me currently my biology studies are almost as important as my art, but I will prioriate the biology studies before art - atleast right now.

And my university have also helped me in my art studies, twice a week they stage a 3 hour life-drawing session with models! AND IT'S FREE! Check out if your university got something similair, maybe they do.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Does your university offer art classes? If they can fulfill some kind of generic credit requirement, you should take them.

Thanks
    I graduated in economics and only started studying art last april. In the end I'm glad I managed to put drawing aside when I was studying economics, I learnt other very important things and finished my degree.