Sketchbook: knut's Sketchbook - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe probably needs some kind of perspective even a basic one.
    Try to study perspective so that later you can play with it and do whatever perspective you want.
    Set your horizon line set one point on it, and then everyline must go there.Ok its not exactly like that but try doing some studies with simple objects like a cube or something.
    Do some sketches and probably we will be able to do some paintover
    keep up

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kostas! I have some books in mind about the persp issue.

I just finished a piece for the adventure, one of the female protagonists. I tried to makes her in a way that she has a characteristic look (body, face, position etc) and no the classic beauty. It need some final touches i think but i have to go now. Critique please!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something quick i just finished for fun. The rest are some sketches of a turkish trader and a romanian old man. Pffff, insomniaaa!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made some improvements on the woman drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice mate.DUnno about the colors.it looks like drizzt du erden, maybe put some warmer hues on the skin?
    keep up the good work

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know the guy. Do you mean the colors or the overall drawing? I thought it about the skin tone but because i want to have some variety in the end, i wanted something more "white". I' ll try to make it warmer as you said and will see. As you see i am a little bit colourblind so to me it' s difficult the final choise of colors. I wanted to ask you about the grayscale in which you wrote once that you draw always at first. You mean that on one layer you are doing all the tones of a drawing (shadows etc) and then on another layer you' re dropping colors? Are you just playing with opacity first for the tones? Personally i work very oldschool as i had a pen in my hand meaning that, first i am doing the outlines and then just paint and play with opacity, gausian blur, flow. I don't really use something else. Is there anything i should check for an better work on Photoshop? Thanks for the mentions man!

Y.G. I had some quotes froma.. my mother that her face is too much of a male's. She' s starting worring about me! No really if there is something wrong tell me. Personally i just want all the characters not to have the classic beauty, so i try to make them a little bit ... casual. Thanx.

Last edited by knut-; May 15th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made some changes on the face and the skin tone. I think now it' s more feminine. I am pausing working on the same sketch for now otherwise i' m gonna destroy it!

Last edited by knut-; May 15th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An old model of grandma's head with plasticine. Do you have any propositions about the material i could use for models so i can sculpt them easy as plasticine and make them solid afterwards as clay? I know about cernit but it costs too much for a small quantity. I sculpt them piece by piece and not starting with a big mass of the material.

Last edited by knut-; May 16th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dunno a lot about sculpting materials other than clay that i have done in uni but i love what you did
    About greyscale.
    Greyscale is a great excersize in learning and understanding values.When someone master values probably can work fast immediately with colors on a rough sketch or something, but we need more to reach that right now.
    When you have a greyscale work then you have to translate the values into colors.I work with high opacities and only for some special things i use low opacity.
    About these characters i can say that actually they are not rendered in greyscale but they consist of a sketch with the style of these black lines and then some coloring inside the regions(that may mean that a simpler cell shading could do the job easier and better for you, but again there would be a need to alter the blackness of every outline)
    aaa now an idea.Take this great sculpt you did and turn it greyscale in photoshop (image adgjudments, desaturate) and see (i did quickly did it for you)
    here you can see a very nice greyscale base.
    What you have to do i think is becoming better in overal.Dont use a lot of effects in photoshop, like blur and such, cause these tend to make your works saying "eeee i am using filterssss"
    Also try to block in colors with high opacities(100% will be nice and if you have tablet add opacity+size pen pressure).It is also better because in your style here you have these full black(full of paint) lines and there must be harmony when you put the color.So you cant have these low opacity brushstrokes that come in contrast with the solid black lines.I think the face looks better cause it looks more solid than the other parts.
    Keep up the good work mate!!!

lol forgot to upload it

Last edited by kingkostas; May 16th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Kostas. Actually, i thought once to make the characters with plasticine and then texture them in photoshop but the time and money are that i' m lacking. Also a digi cam... I agree with not using too many effect, actually none. I just was searching for how do the shadows on a sketch and i found a way with gausian blur. Other than that, i am using just brushes and playing with opacity. I am actually bored to search all the things on photoshop, just want to draw doing it right and learning on the way. Also, seeing many phsp works i realise it is very easy to become "all the same" so, many times i think of just drawing on paper and scan the final sketch. I try to devepol something characteristic and if not succed i' ll start using filters

About cell-shading, i had in mind the concept art of Zelda: Wind Waker when i started (thick black outlines etc check it---> http://www.enterthesly.com/blog/game/images /windwker.jpg )but they are doing it differently with less shadows and more cartoonish characters. Anagnostou told me the same thing, that they remind him of 3d cell shading technique which for me is actually a good thing.

Kostas thanks again for the tips and your time.

I am posting some older non-detailed models i did for a better undestanding of some anatomy issues. I had some models from Metal Gear Solid 4 in mind doing them (anyone who played it will know).
    Sorry for the resolution...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing 3D understanding [envious] I really like your work. Plasticine models are awesome! I want to try to learn anatomy this way now! I'm not good enough to give any crit, I just love everything here!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Temperowka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Temperowka thank you man. The truth is that sculpting, you ARE learning about anatomy, symmetry or non-symmetry. You just get in the procces of realizing new things or the same old ones with a different perspective. You must be cautious so everything looks good from any view (which actually don't appear to happen on the upper models). The "bad" thing is that it could take time for making a detailed model but that's exactly why you are learning: giving time on anatomy details, like drawing many times the same sketch. Try it and see how it feels.

Just finished a super quick sketch of a masked monster. Hopefully i' ll get some time to paint it later.

Last edited by knut-; May 17th, 2010 at 02:19 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Knut, things are getting better and better in here. Kingkostas really gave you a great comment. Just keep practicing. Good to see you are working on anatomy, on the last sketch.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and dedication here. Looks like you're developing your own unique style which I really enjoy. Keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work. Gotta paint some of them grrr. Sleepless and tired at the time...
    (Bic) pen on paper.

Haha we posted togetha! thanx cgaddict for the comment and the anatomy sketches too. Need critique if there is any especially on the painted characters! Thnx again!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice update, lots of depth on those. Are you greek btw? I ask because one of your characters seems to be fluent in Greek in your latest update As for critiques on your paintings, you're off to a good start, but I think you should really focus on values at this stage and work on rendering form more convincingly. Try thinking in simple shapes when rendering (ex. approach a face in a similar way on how you would render an egg).

Keep it up!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx cgaddict once again. Yea i am Greek but didn' t have that in mind. Guess it' s natural I need to read about values, rendering etc. However, let's say that i want that style and result. Is it still not good enough, right? I ask because i really have something very specific in mind doing those sketches. Whatever i write, i must improve one or another way cause those are my first attemps using photoshop. I mean, but of course they can be better but what happens when it fits a specific idea? Where to end a painting? Guess there is no answer, just get better yourself, right?

Sorry for the bad English, hope there will be no misunderstandings.

Last edited by knut-; May 17th, 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're new to digital painting, the important thing is to get comfortable with the program. Get used to it until it becomes second nature to you. Limit your brush set when you're first starting (a hard edge and a soft edge brush will suffice). Don't worry about a refined finish at the moment, just try to paint daily. Speedpaintings are a great way to help you out with this. Paint an image and time yourself (anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour).

Of course, this is just my advice - what works for me might not necessarily work for you, so just experiment, get comfortable with painting digitally, and most importantly, have fun!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Re c gamw ta skitsa!Poli oraioi xaraktires kai fatses!Spoudazeis texni i kati tetio??To na kaneis modela me plastelini-pilo einai poli kalo gia na ma8eis anatomia to kanoume kai emeis sti sxoli kai voi8aei parapoli!sinexise etsi re man

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cgaddict thnks for the advice. I have maaaany many things to learn. The thing is i have to work seriously on some models/ characters meaning that the result has to be good right now. So, i try to find somthing that fits my needs at the time. You're right, daily PRACTICE!

Cameli να σαι καλά ρε. Σπουδάζω στο Ήχου και Εικόνας που δεν έχει σχεδόν καμία σχέση δυστηχώς. Απλά σχεδιάζω από βρέφος και τα είχα παρατήσει σε κάποια φάση. Καιρός ήταν να επανέλθω και να ΜΑΘΩ ΕΠΙΤΕΛΟΥΣ πράγματα.

Sorry for the greek guys, just disgusing on which uni i am.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A sketch of an octopus-like creature. Pencil on paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Experimenting with grayscale and light. Wayyy too dark... Of course it's not finished. If anyone knows any tutorials for painting a hand-sketch in grayscale (with mouse), advise please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sleepless again, so, started but not finished yet, a model of an overweight woman. Sorry for the hand, i' m gonna buy some long wodden sticks today so i can place it right. Also, i had to mix some plastcines due to lack of quantity so, here comes some crapy colors.
    Plasticine.

The images i used is of this lady here
    http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist...cr=2396&rl=416

Last edited by knut-; May 19th, 2010 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update. Pencil on paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone. Took me some time to update.. Here's some grayscale sketches i did today. I find it very difficust not to play with opacity due to mouse but i use it occasionally. The one with the conductor is not finished and the first pencil sketch has a lot of mistakes. Please i need critique on those grayscale. Also tell me how much time is normally needed for finishing a work like this with mouse so i can test myshef. Any advice is welcome as tutorials about grayscale painting etc. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by knut-; May 28th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dhmhtrh mono ena prama na pw kai efuga. "Mathaineis kai ekselisese uperbolika grhgora man!!!!!
    What a fast improvement!!!!!
    keep it up really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kosta thnx man! Hope it gets me somewhere in the end..

Να σαι καλά ρε τρέλα! Τρέχεις υποθέτω τώρα με εξεταστικές ε? Και εγώ δύσκολα αλλά το χουμε.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some update. I think it takes much more time than it should... Maybe it's just the start yet. Critigue please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches. We both need to draw more dynamic angles of characters and more landscapes.

Though the bamboo forest is dense, water flows through it freely.

My Sketchbook.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.