Thanks

I can`t paint and I need to learn how fast.

Recently I`ve begun attending Sheridan college to take Art Fundementals. It`s a beginner`s course, and I decided to take it in order to learn how to paint and otherwise enhance my skills at more traditional art. Previously, I`d already learned how to draw fairly well with simple tools like pencils and how to colour digitally. However, I had absolutely no prior experience in painting whatsoever. I thought that would be fine, since the school told me that the Art Fundementals course is meant to be aimed at people who have never taken art before. However, it seems this is not the case and they expect us to already know how to paint. They basically just give us a painting assignment and tell us to do it with little to no instruction. As can be expected, I`m doing very poorly. I`m doing fairly well in most of my classes except for painting because it`s mainly drawing, and I already know the fundementals of drawing. I learned to draw by going to the library and signing out books with basic step-by-step exercises I could work through that would enhance my skills and help me gain knowledge. Are there any books or websites that have these sort of exercises for painting? Could you please recommend some of the better ones? Any other advice would be great too. And please don`t just tell me to practice more, because literally all I do in my spare time now is practice but without proper instruction from a teacher or book, it`s not going anywhere. Thanks.
    Last edited by AshLoomis; March 16th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    -What's the assignment?
    -What kind of paint are you using?
    -Show us what you have so far, picture being worth a thousand words and that..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AshLoomis View Post
    Recently I`ve begun attending Sheridan college to take Art Fundementals. It`s a beginner`s course, and I decided to take it in order to learn how to paint and otherwise enhance my skills at more traditional art. Previously, I`d already learned how to draw fairly well with simple tools like pencils and how to colour digitally. However, I had absolutely no prior experience in painting whatsoever. I thought that would be fine, since the school told me that the Art Fundementals course is meant to be aimed at people who have never taken art before. However, it seems this is not the case and they expect us to already know how to paint. They basically just give us a painting assignment and tell us to do it with little to no instruction. As can be expected, I`m doing very poorly. I`m doing fairly well in most of my classes except for painting because it`s mainly drawing, and I already know the fundementals of drawing. I learned to draw by going to the library and signing out books with basic step-by-step exercises I could work through that would enhance my skills and help me gain knowledge. Are there any books or websites that have these sort of exercises for painting? Could you please recommend some of the better ones? Any other advice would be great too. And please don`t just tell me to practice more, because literally all I do in my spare time now is practice but without proper instruction from a teacher or book, it`s not going anywhere. Thanks.
    First I would complain to the Department head. It is wrong for them to not teach you the basics of painting in a basic painting class. Just an example of how lazy and useless some teachers are.
    A good beginning book is
    Oil Painting for the Serious Beginner: Basic Lessons in Becoming a Good Painter by Steve Allrich you can find it on Amazon or Ebay or Bookfinder.com

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Yes, please provide some more specifics - oils/acrylic/watercolor? Abstract/representaional/illustration? That kind of thing. The book dpaint mentions I would second - also James Gurney's book "Imaginitive Realism" is very good. It may be that the instructor just wants to see where you're at with your experience? Or it could be they suck. I would push them for more information and help and if it isn't happening I would definitely go to their department head as dpaint suggests.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    when you say that your doing poorly in painting class, are you saying that the instructor is evaluating your performance as "poor" or are you just not satisfied with your work? Because its a beginners class, it would be terribly unfair if they expected you to have any sort of knowledge related to painting. Is it early in the class? If so, they may just be tossing you into the fray for evaluations sake so that they can teach each student based on their level of ability. I would talk to the instructor, and let them know that you feel uncomfortable. Overall, i don't feel that painting is a thing that can be learned quickly, but it always helped me to read accounts of how painters like sargent worked. I once found a whole period account of Sargents methods, which i am currently unable to find. Honestly, I think the best thing would be to voice your concerns to the instructor. if they are genuinly not teaching, then complain to the department head. And talk to your fellow students...commiserating with friends will often make you feel better. You're probably not as behind as you think.

good luck!

Thanks
    richard schmid's Everything I know About painting
    david a leffel's An Artist Teaches
    http://www.zhaomingwu.com/
    Scott Burdick

A couple things to know
    start painting using one color like burnt umber, and let the canvas be your lights and wipe the paint away.
    move on to adding white to that one color, then black and white, and that color.
    then to color.
    use filbert brushes, bigger the better.
    Paint from life
    Squint
    Simplify everything into basic shapes
    make sure you are mixing correct tones and colors
    use these paints
    2 reds cad red light and alizerion crimison
    2yellows cad lemon yellow and middum cad yellow
    2 blues ultramairen and thalo blue

and sap green and yellow ocher

check out any how to paint books...