What retro game COULD work as a new gen game?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

What retro game COULD work as a new gen game?

There have been many games being revamped from old consoles, what type of games are you dying for to be revamped and redone for new consoles and New Gen PC's?

Kid icarus was probably one of my favorite games as a yougin', but i'm really clueless to how it could possibley be done today...

I'm thinking a 3d tactical contra would be nice. Kind of socom: navy seals, but with funky weapons and neat creatures.

I'm also dying for a reissue of Guardian heroes, which was on the sega saturn...the best beat` em up game EVER.

share your ideas/dreams.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't follow games too much, so I'm not sure how far Mega Man has been taken. I remember having a dream once of playing a 3D Mega Man that was totally cool; I liked the really expansive environments that I dreamed of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm well I stopped playing consoles at nintendo and a couple of super nintendo games so my console knowledge isnt too up to date but a few could be:

Contra would def be sweet FPS

Dragon Warrior: Id like it if it wasnt so anime like Final Fantasy but more along the lines of a Baldurs Gate.

Strider: another cool game that could be given much more now

Original Zelda: if this would be brought back as a serious RPG with a full 3D world it'd be killer

Final Fantasy 1: My fav RPG for original nintendo. If this was made into a new RPG with the graphical equivalent of say the Max Payne 2 engine i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Trying to think of others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think one game that would kick ass if done right could be.......wait for it..........Kung fu, remember that? how good was that game? do it up like a mark of kri type thing.

or

how about that game, Mach rider now i know nobody rememebrs that game could be like a postapocaliptyic spyhunter on a motorcycle with guns or something .....or even that game from comodore 64 mission impossible "welcome! why not stay a while......stay forever HA HAHAH AHAHAHA AH!!" i could never really figure out what the game was about.....so uh.....i have no suggestions for what you could do.......but darn it would be good!

man those were the days of video games

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The original Zelda was the first real role playing game I ever got to the end on, so I'd second that suggestion.

Otherwise, I'd suggest Blade Runner. Even the badly pixelated version is still a blast to play, so I bet it would kick a$$ as a 32 bit 3D version...

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    herzog zwei
    yar's revenge (make it like r-type or something)
    space harrier
    magic of scherazade(NES)
    maniac mansion
    barnstorm
    galga
    missile command

just off the top of my head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay Captain!

HERZOG ZWEI!!!! HOLY CRAP! THAT GAME JUST TOTALLY ROCKED!!! but it was pretty kick ass even for its time.....how would you "modernize" it?

more players? 3d? actually story ?

damn, herzog zwei......*shakes head and smiles*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gunstar Heroes
    Gunstar Heroes
    Gunstar Heroes
    Gunstar Heroes
    Gunstar Heroes

Not as old, but I would really love to see another Syndicate game made. Syndicate Wars kicked all arse.

.: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    BallonFight (I'd like to see an adventure mode, a bit like the old Zeppelin)
    Exile (of course)
    Blaster Master (There's actually a PS1 version, 3D, but I haven't played it)
    Paradroid (Could be cool assimilating robots in a FPS instead of the usual weapon pickup shit)
    SuperCars II
    Quake 1 (They never followed up on the Shamblers, Vores and Fiends... all we got was the gay Stroggos)

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see Turrican ( like the C64 version of Turrican 2 ) in 3D.
    Without puzzles ... a very straightforward third person view action game.
    More forgiving than the original ... it was a bit frustrating sometimes.
    With the cool weapons and gimmicks. Yeah I think that would rock.

A better Syndicate would rock too. I loved walking around surrounded by huge masses of people ...
    And I loved the mix of precise weapons and heavy fire-power.
    I never played Syndicate Wars. I think I didn't like the reviews!?

Maybe Double Dragon 3D with Oni like fights and Max Payne elements?

Probably the games I'd really like to play exist already.
    But I don't know them.

The GameGear Shinobi (Or "Revenge of ..."? Don't remember ... that was LOOONG AGO!) was something I did like too ...
    and I see potential there as well.

Last edited by Signature; February 15th, 2004 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man if they did either skate or die these days it would kick tony hawk's ass!

It's super happy wonderful fun time!
    www.fiddlegarden.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Syndicate would rock in todays graphics. They sould keep the isometric view, and just make it higher resolution and of course improve a little on the various bug of the game.

Remember playing that game all day when i was younger.. awsome game

Also i think that games like Moonstone, and megalomania where awsome, and an updated version would rock

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I used to play an old mac fps way before first-person shooters even caught on. It was called Marathon. I think it was bungie's first big game and is what got them a foothold in the industry back then. Basically, you played as a loan-security officer on a giant space ship that had been built out (not on) of the Martian Moon Deimos. It goes halfway across the galaxy and of course aliens decide to invade it. It may sound like a simple premise but actually, the story and mission objectives were very original and had a lot of depth. Throughout the game, you have to contend with bad aliens, the ship's AI which has gone insane and try to do things like rescuing BOBs (poor unarmed humans which I ended up just shooting for fun) and convince certain types of aliens to betray their masters and help you.

Marathon is still one of my favorate games to date. They made two sequels and released the editing software and to this day, you can still download maps, shapes and conversions. One cool thing they did for the sequels is getting Craig Mullins to paint all of the chapter screens. Keep in mind it's all Doom style sprites but it was still kickass.

I'd love to see this game revived and updated to fit with modern technology. These games were way too great for their obsurity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exo: I rememeber that game, marathon was a pretty kick ass game. yeah the sequals were pretty good too. but the first was the one that grabbed my attention......did you ever play Airborne for the mac?

Prom: Baloon fight would be cool! a 3d version would/could be a departure from some of the same old same, old stuff we are seeing lately.

how about going WAAAAY back and pulling out the gmaes for intellivision of coleco vision?

games like night stalker where you are lost in a maze and these robots hunt you and try to kill you......and the more you kill the tougher they get.....i dont think i would remake it as a FPS

Or burger time.....that would be fun...if i remember correctly that was kind of one of the first "tetris" type games....

and finally.....ikari warriors.....i dont know if anybody remembers it but getting the tanks and stuff was pretty cool...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Airborn? I might have. I have tons of CDs stuffed with old Mac games. They used to make CDs out of out dated games that they could no longer expect full price for. There was stuff like Marathon, the original Warcraft, FA18 hornet flight sims, a ton of pinball games. I forgot who put them out but they were insane. there'd be like twenty complete mainstream and shareware games on them for like $19.95. I tell ya, those were the days.

Of course compared to todays standards it's not much but the Marathon Trilogy boxed set is still the pride and joy of my collection...Those aliens would pop out of dark corners and squawk and then I'd pop a single cap in them with my magnum and all that green blood would go everywhere...Grenade jumping, closing doors on peoples heads...

That does it. I'm digging it out tonight and reinstalling it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not that old and I've never been too into video games so i dont know about all the classics or even really the new ones, but last year during computer programming me and the kid sitting next to me played joust on Shockwave.com and a little bit later in the year i found out about this. And I am really excited about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The screenshots aren't up but that concept art is outstanding! Could that be our "Android" Jones?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Android posted some of those a while back.

Oooh, the gauss-gun in syndicate wars rocked. I liked how the weapons were so... efficient, just point and kill a whole crowd (of innocent bystanders)

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well i would like to see final fantasy 6&7 put into a new engin

and of course comander keen and destruction derby raw!!!! that games rocked!!
    :rambo:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HERZOG ZWEI!!! I totally agree! that would rock.

I dig the baloon fight adventure Prom... makes me wanna go sketch...

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did anyone ever play Captain Blood on the Commodore 64?
    That is a game that would have a lot of scope for expansion...it was a pretty involved game back in the day, even though the most you ever saw of your own character was the emaciated arm used to type alien languages on the keyboard.

I was just thinking of Skate or Die last week when I was playing Tony Hawk's Underground and I was thinking about how much cooler it would be if it had any of the fun elements of Skate or Die...jousting, down hill alley races etc.

I'd also love to see a deeper, more involved version of Defender of the Crown...I know they released a newer version of that recently but it could be so much more

I agree too that Syndicate would be great if they used some of the more recent squad based games as a starting point with options of first-person and aerial views and more involved missions...running around with squads of cyborg hitmen in a futuristic cityscape has to have huge potential

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xcom!!!xcom!!!xcom!!! imagine a mmrpg xcom with player editable art/wepons that can be made and/or edited by crafting/researching/finding parts
    matches could be global/or head to head..okay its kinda sounding like a post apocoliptic UO.. but....XCOM!!!!

I love fishes they’re so delicious, let’s go fishes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS SYNDICATE WARS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double Dragon!!!! they need to make a new one....
    Spy Vs. Spy!!!! that'd be sweet as a 4 player game!
    River City Ransom!!!! sidescrolling fighter slash RPG....so awesome!!

those games need to be remade for new gen consoles....
    and an RPG of the classic Apple/PC game 'Oregon Trail' would be cool too!

-Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kid Icarus.

Hands down that is the next thing Retro needs to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WoRD DAVI!
    Guardian Heroes is the best game ever made IMO. I still break it out every now and again. ZUR WAS THE SHIT!

I would only like to see a follow up to GH if they did it with Guilty Gear X sprite quality and animation.

I would also kill for a remake of Out of This World!

Oh and NoUseFrAName as for Spy....

www.viciouscycleinc.com

I'm currently working on that

Last edited by Wizard of KOZ; March 2nd, 2004 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuuude, that just made my day....sweetness!!
    I'll most definitely be getting it!!!!
    I've been telling all my game design buds that they should do a remake of that for years!
    doesn't seem to be any info that I could find about it on the site though(awesome animation & graphics on the site btw!)

so is it just gonna be 2 players? I think it'd be a riot of fun as a 4 player game for the 'cube.....a rival to a Mario Kart or Goldeneye get together with friends!

-Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the one game i would like to see is megaman also:chug:

also robo cop wouldent be to bad

ks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sammy> I did sketch on a ballon fight thing alreadym but I can't find the sketches now. It's great fun even with it's simple physics.

Almost forgot SimLife. I liked that 'game'. And SimAnt. And Barbarian, although they did a new version of it.

um... Impossible Mission too?

STUNT CAR RACER, I cant believe I almost forgot! It had that nice 'raw' feeling that barbarian had. I loved crashing in that game.

I also remember (vaguely) a game called U-turn, sorta like a puzzle game. You drove around in a city and could bounce on geometrical shapes to turn. Would make a good office game.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; March 3rd, 2004 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm with you guys, megaman would be nice in nextgen colors. in fact, it's been done, at least three times.

megaman 64, for the nintendo 64. third person 3d platformer with a follow camera. i didn't like it.

megaman: nt warrior, for gamecube. good stuff! it's 3d, but plays in a 2d format. the game is heavily influenced by the megaman battle network games and animated series. worth a look.

megaman x7 for ps2. yeesh, back to megaman 64. it's not that great, i was able to get it at a huge discount. i recommend you only buy it if you can find a big discount. rent it.

yeesh, if capcom makes megaman x8, i hope they go 2d, or at least make it play like a 2d game. 2d is not dead, people!

really, devs could release marathon-era games in their original forms and sell like mad! there's too much emphasis on technology and graphics these days, and gameplay tends to suffer.

i'd like to see an updated version of abuse or weaponlord. keep them 2d for god's sake, but new versions of those games would rock ass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.