Chow 193 :: CA Ink - HOST : Sinix - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chow 193 :: CA Ink - HOST : Sinix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Majortom I can't wait to see that finished it's gonna be AWESOME!!!

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Spaz - The changes you made are going the right way, but you're not going far enough yet. First - her head is still too large, proportionally you should be able to fit three heads going across her shoulders. Then her breasts are tilted off to the right while her shoulders and clavicle are dead-on straight. Imagine there is a line that runs down her neck, through the center of her clavicle and on down through the center of her cleavage - this will help you space things out. Also, the line the breasts sit on runs parallel to the line her shoulders sit on. And then her hip was kid of awkwardly tilted to the left once I adjusted those things, so I turned it more straight on. I think in fixing her waist/hips, you should think about how her pants will wrap all the way around her form in 3 dimension - the back waistband is going to sit higher than the waistband in the front because she is tilted forward at the viewer, which means that on the sides, her belt should curve around and up. And I think her legs need to be a touch longer (an adult person is about 8 heads tall). I took the liberties of doing a "draw-over" to show what I mean better:

Name:  spaz_po.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  375.3 KB

Hope that helps, and keep going, this has loads of potential.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updates

the tattoo wil be more original later when im done rendering here bod

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jessi thank you so much I really appreciate that. I will definitely take your advice!

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit late getting started, had a steampunk... assassin type character going round my head all week.

Some great entries so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hunchback, very nice painterly feel, beautiful skintones. Maybe the cheekbone is a little too high.

I forgot to post a wip earlier so its close to finish. I though of a girl in a tattooed slipdress.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some really great entries.
    Could not resist doing a wip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok Jessi, tell me if this is any better, I essentially did the same thing you did... and I really see the difference... however I am not sure if I made the head small enough?

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've got one of these pencil spots on my finger...

Hey, my first chow! It's still really rough, as you can see. Got a really late start on this today because of finals, but I'll try to finish it in time. It's probably more of an environmental thing, but what are ya gonna do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moving along. Man some great work up. Giving me a kick in the butt and making me work on something that should be in my spare time, not during my work hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jessi, How do you do your gray scale. Do you have the gray layer in gel/multiply and then a color layer in gel/multiply... then on top of that do you do a normal/ default layer to add the texture and depth?

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised, here is some crits for everyone!
    Ruined: I really love the power of your work, and the idea! My only suggestion is that the bottom cloth/pants are way to light, and are attracting a lot of attention
    GoGoJoJo: Welcome to Chow! The pencils are pretty funny, but be careful, I think her pelvis is starting to flatten out
    Spaztastic: Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it The changes you made make it look a lot better, and I think her hands are about the right size. Keep it up!
    JanJager: Gotta love that crazy look he has going on, haha.
    Tommoy: I really like your concept, it's really interesting. But I think the problem you have is that it is going to be really hard to communicate that it's a tattoo and not skin-tight dress. Perhaps if you added some designs that would be the negative space of the tattoo? If that makes any sense, haha.
    gloombunny: Nice steampunk idea It seems like you have a great start already, just be careful with the tilt of her face matching up with the tilt of her head.
    hunchback: As everyone else has already said, I love those soft skin tones. Not a whole lot to crit, but I can't wait to see what the tattoo is going to be like!
    Suneater: Welcome to Chow! You have a beautiful drawing, but I don't know if it's the length of your character that's the problem as much as it seems like he gets smaller and smaller from the head down. His pelvis should be much longer, and his legs should follow suit. I hope that helps!
    rumpenstiltzkin: I really like the style you have going on, and the overall flow throughout the figure. But something that I think should be fixed is the folds on her clothes. I feel like the way you have them now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially the folds towards the ankles on the front leg. My guess would be the folds would be shaped more like dents if it's more baggy, but like I said just look at some reference. I hope that helps
    Jessibean: Those skin tones are so wonderful! I can't wait to see how you handle the smoke
    PsycheDragon: Nice pose and idea with the tattoo! My only suggestion is to be careful with her face, it seems like that her one eye is drifting off underneath the hair.
    Reymus: I love the atmosphere and the expression of your character! The raised eyebrow is such a nice touch. Be careful with his legs, they are starting to get lost under the fabric
    Obacmar: The cigar is such a nice touch, I can't wait to see how you handle it
    LadyChestnut: Your linework is already really strong! Maybe if you added some tattoos that reflected her lost love, like a broken heart or something?
    Dave Lynch: I really love that playful style, I am really curious to see how you handle the tattoos

Unfortunately that's all I have time for right now since I'm about to run off to work, I'll come by later and give more feedback

As for mine, I'm really starting to go experimental with this one and having a lot of fun.
    But feedback is MORE than welcome!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to majortom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so attempting to do gray scale for the first time.... hopefully doing it right this time as I am pretty sure all my others have been fails... ok so does the shading look ok? and do I add a gel base color layer and then another default to give it more realism???

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the crits I've gotten, but man I'm having a hard time really pushing this/completing it, I seem to have this problem often when painting digitally...I dont know I just hit mental barriers I guess...or I just don't know enough to move it further/polish it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spaz - Make sure to block in your values if going from grayscale to color, it's loose right now, so get some deep shadows in contrast to those highlights as well.

Tommoy - The background's a little distracting, and she seems really bottom heavy, though this might be her head is leaning back from her arched back.

Update, belittled the hand, dropped bicep, lost even more legs in cloth and one of a many tattoos that I'm sure will turn out horrid.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rizien- Take some quick reference photos. I see a lot of anatomy issues, especially in the legs. I know when I'm struggling to put pieces together taking 15 minutes to set up some crap lighting and taking a decent ref puts my brain at ease (I'm sure I'm not the only one). You learn a lot while you are utilizing the photos too.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruined For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ruined, I'm gonna try to work on that tomorrow afternoon. I only have myself and my girlfriend to photograph, but that should be enough. btw your piece is looking sick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rizien - if you are struggling for models to get shots of, there are tons of internet resources already out there you can tap into. Posemaniacs has tons of figures in various poses (obv! ), kindgirls.com has ladies in various states of undress - some NSFW, mostly useful for anatomy/lighting, and then I know it is a dirty word around here, but DeviantArt has a ton of KILLER stock people on there. Some of my personal faves are mjranum-stock, lockstock, and senshistock - they all post both men and women, some with widely varied anatomy. Plus, the handy image search tool over there lets you search specifically for something like "standing + spear" and narrow it down to stock images > model > male.
    Just make sure you credit the people whose stock you are using when you post your image in your gallery and such (most of them post rules governing their stock usage, plus if you email them, they are very nice, friendly people who are posting these things to help humble artists like us)

Hope those help.

And just so I don't spam walls of text with no images, some progress on my piece:

Name:  snake_tattoo_wip06_small.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  183.3 KB

Last edited by JessiBean; March 19th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    farout awesome work in here as always! this is my first time entry into a chow, and cant think of a better topic to start on. hopefully i can get this done over the weekend.

so im going for a warrior, with a mixture of Maori and Japanese cultural input. thought it could prove interesting as ive never seen this mix before, but will probably come out looking pretty generic haha. anyways heres my intial thoughts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sweet!

Jessi!,

Thanks for the extra tips and helping those out that are aspiring I think its great! Could you and some of the other veterans let us know if your using references or straight from head when you guys do your pieces? I try to work straight from head, but see now I need alot more anatomy and lighting study myself, just would like to know yours and other pro's methodsfor your great art!

Thanks!

Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah I'm slower than molasses in January during a deep freeze O.o

any hoo here is my update. trying to do the color part... hopefully I got the values right this time? will add the tats tomorrow after I get the skin rendered all nice like.... Does her face look ok? I have been staring at it soo long it looks soooo weird... might just be me or my skillz

see how well i color in the lines

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darklogik - Sure! I find as I go along, I use reference (of some kind) every time I go into a piece, before I even get started - I may be inspired by a pose I see, a piece of clothing, a "mood", so there is always that jumping off point. I like to have an anatomy reference for lighting and form, but I am also cautious about relying too heavily on one image. When you pull from well known sources (or even not-so-well-known) verbatim, someone is going to notice, and that is distracting. For this piece, I have a reference for a reclining figure on a couch, another two for the arms/hands, another for color/lighting, and another several for things like the hair/clothing.

Even when a piece comes out of my head to begin with, I will go look through my reference folders for the right fabric folds or textures, anatomy, or whatever else I want to make sure I get right - and with some things, you kind of get used to it and don't *need* the ref as much, I still like to have it just in case.

But that is just me. It is all in what works for you - I've watched the likes of Shawn Barber or Greg Manchess paint from detailed photo ref, and I've watched people like Jason Chan just wing it. Depends on your comfort level, really.

Some more fun resources:

ArtRenewal.org <-- masterpaintings, a searchable database and lots of high-res images
    style.com <-- they now have high res images of all the fashion shows, the Fall 2010 shows just happened, some crazy rad clothing and costume ideas (if you dunno where to start, I recommend Lacroix, Dior, Alexander McQueen and any of the Haute Couture shows)
    Dark Roasted Blend <-- they just post cool stuff from all over
    CGTextures.com <-- lots of nice, high res, free textures. You can also look for good textures on DeviantArt, there is LOTS of amazing stuff there.
    Dazzle-Textures <-- a good place to start for textures on DA.

Last edited by JessiBean; March 19th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Still working on mine... Ended up totally changing the outfit, but not to a flapper dress... I thought this worked a bit better. :]

I've outlined the tattoos in full detail but have yet to colour them or set them in the skin so they still flatten stuff out a bit, but at least you can see all the placement and such.

Name:  tattoos_wip003.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  147.5 KB

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daestwen- those tats are looking very nice. looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

ok some basic blocking in, still lots of anatomy issues. time for ref hehe. cant wait to get into some details

34. The Following User Says Thank You to tokotewhero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daww all these talented people submittin there stuffis getting me mighty nervous.
    Im gonna need one of these

Anyway just scanned this up. Gonna have to get a move on though

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Atom James For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Direction

First-----

Atom I love the style and this is place is for improvement among pers, not a "Challenge" of who is really better! so rock on...

And Jessi! Thank you for the Quick Reply! Im working with a couple different ref. images and it really does help. I was told once in High school that it was cheating, and even though I KNOW it not at all, It kinda made it a bad habit for me to work without them, Something I am correcting from this point on.

SO here is my new direction, the Samurai warrior in half garb... Looking for feedback as I am really trying to nail a better painting style on top of everything else. Comments VERY Welcome!

+++++++ Added Updated Image +++++++

Last edited by darklogik; March 20th, 2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added Update
    Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tattooed Lizard king Mobster wip 03

Here's what I got so far
    Building up the sleeves, popped in the bench, and popped out some tiles.
    Light building needs more contrast. I'm going for a single light above and some blue ambient.
    grunge, steam, smoke, wet..coming soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, I tried to fix the butt Still workin on colors and stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've been avoiding this weeks thread unfortunately. Been fairly frustrated for the most part, still unsure about where I'm at. =\

Name:  caink4.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  74.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, everyone is outstanding so far, and all your work is inspiring ! You guys are far better than I am, but that's why I am here, to learn from better artists ! I've been spending most of my time on the tattoo details, of which I was inspired by graffiti art. To fit it more towards my personality, I added a cybernetic, punk feel as well. I still have a long way to go...

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to make the background look a little better? Backgrounds are my biggest weakness, and I am always unsure whether they detract or add to my art. Please let me know if you have any tips or tricks.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres_Chic For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3