Chow 193 :: CA Ink - HOST : Sinix - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so update, I fixed her face I think??? hopefully, trying to do gray scale, note the word trying, not sure it will work, but the colors I had first are what I am after but with proper shading. hmmm are her proportions ok? and is the lighting I have going ok so far?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love how ideas just develop into something totally different. Was going for a grimy looking rockstar, but ended up with a metrosexual sniper with biotic arm! The biggest problem for me in on this chow is skin. I totally suck at shading skin, tones are either too harsh or barely visible. If anyone has any tips on that subject im all ears. Still working out what to do with the tats. Any feedback is welcomed ofc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updates on mine, any feedback appreciated...im doodling on other designs for the tattoos, want something that shows more of her elements, water, moon, fire, sun, something like that x)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I have updated on page2, the final entry will be cropped on the blue demon!!!

@rumpenstiltzkin: it looks like she is doing the blue light with the right hand and the yellow one with the left hand, this due to how she is turning her torso. I hope u understand what I mean.

Last edited by Paolo13; March 18th, 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: paintover
    CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked on it a little more, I'm starting to get to a point where I'm unsure of how to push it further so its refined/polished the way I see it in my head.

Thanks for the crits too everyone, I made the arms more proportionate (i hope), and added some red tones, though i'm pretty red/green colorblind so i'm trying my best, haha. I'm really having a hard time bringing it into the next stage of refinery, also environments are hard for me, so I don't know if I'll even get to add the trees and foliage I had planned...I'll keep working though. I'll have to add the weapon back later, and I'm going to reference some real tribal (not modern day tribal) tattoos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in I think. I'll come back and crit later, need to run to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whelp, I'm in. I figured while I was at it I would do another pin-up for the co-op blog, Not Your Father's Pin-Up, which ya'll should check out. /shameless advertising

Originally I wanted her covered with a giant squid, and then I thought - Art Deco! Hells Yes!

Name:  tattoos_wip002_small.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  118.6 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoy

Ruined : Im really impressed by the overall attitude and expression of your character!

Matt khor : I enjoy your composition and the light in your pic, the tatoo are maybe little too contrasted in the last version, but it's my favorite for now!!

Dimagyan : Verry nice draw, i can't wait to see the painting on that!

Pixel tuner : I like your character, and i really enjoy your colors!

Im trying do make a sort of technopriest or something like that .

Feedback plz ! and good luck everyone

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ithoual For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here's the rest, like I promised, again, sorry for misspelling if there's any

daestwen - so far so good, the only thing that looks a bit wrong ins her left elbow, it looks a bit too high and makes her upper arm look short. Though it could be because you haven't shaded it yet. As far as tattoos go, I love the ones on her shoulders

Ruined - oooh, that looks pretty awesome, love the expression

rumpenstiltzkin - this is such a lovely character and I love the pose. Agree with Paolo13 on the colors though, I haven't even noticed the movement thing until he pointed it out...

Danbot386 - this could be an interesting character. Give him clavicles and muscle definition though Also, one more thing I've noticed is that his ear is too up front when compared to the size of the head, looks like he should have a longer jaw, like here HEAD REFERENCE. If you're not sure use reference, it makes stuff so much easier. As far as your question on skin tones goes, there is a great tutorial over at itchstudios which has helped me a lot

spaztastic - me again :p The face looks sweet! Maybe make her head just a tiiiny bit smaller?

hunchback - great start, love the colors. Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the tattoo

AzureLure - now I don't know anything about the goddess Tara, but I love the fact that she's green. It'll make a lovely contrast with the tattoos which I guess will mostly be flowers?

Abrodos - Heheh, awesome character, great tats!

zoukka - It seems pretty cool so far, I think connecting her right hand with the elbow might be a bit of a problem though, maybe try pulling her left leg a bit more towards the torso? Uh, I don't know...

Angelsway257 - I love her face, she's really pretty. You might consider making her neck thicker and shorter though. If you do that you'll probably have to enlarge her head a bit too...

majortom - what a cool idea! Watch the feet, especially her left one. Maybe tighten the line work all together just a bit, it seems pretty wobbly. Try lowering the opacity on the brush you're using? I know it helps me when I have to draw with a tablet since I'm more used to sketching with a pencil.

darklogik - well. I'm not a seasoned pro and I'm still learning about color myself, but I can pass on the advice I've read a lot of times - it looks like you're using pure white for the highlights, try to avoid that. Oh, and also, what this awesome lady says furiae

DIMAGYAN - love your work, but then again, I usually do. I like the first sketch more, the tattoos seem to tell more about him.

matt kohr - hehheh, this is all kinds of cool xD

Tres Chic - oooh, I love the girl tattoo!

wiegetie - Can't tell much yet but I realize this is still a rough sketch. He kinda looks like he has three penises though

QueenGwenevere - I love your sketch, so much movement in it

edit

Ithoual - you snuck in I love the skin tone. His head is pretty awesome too. Maybe give him some more butt though

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Whistler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to scrap the first mayan/aztec/native american character, and try for a new one, last time I just went straight for the color, and being red green color blind i'm pretty sure that wasn't the best approach. I'm gonna do this one in grayscale then add the color, so my value's will (hopefully) be more accurate.

Also decided to draw the environment first, since adding one later never works...Also chose a new pose. Gonna have to work all weekend in this beautiful weather to get it done, but oh well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paolo13 and The Whistler: cheers for the feedback, tho, i might be tired but cant quite grasp the problem
    should i change the position of her arms/torso? or is it the colors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! Here is the wip of my first chow

Some great stuff here, I'm going with the rather bulky japanese bouncer dude!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Onisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hopefully I'll have time to finish.

Old wizard with his life's story tattooed on him. not sure what the story will be.

Name:  wizard.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  66.1 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpenstiltzkin View Post
    Paolo13 and The Whistler: cheers for the feedback, tho, i might be tired but cant quite grasp the problem
    should i change the position of her arms/torso? or is it the colors?
    It looks like her left arm is coming up from the bottom right of the canvas, but the blue looks like its coming from above her head and down around the left of the canvas.

Heres what I think the motion should be based on her body:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rizien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rizien View Post
    It looks like her left arm is coming up from the bottom right of the canvas, but the blue looks like its coming from above her head and down around the left of the canvas.

Heres what I think the motion should be based on her body:

aha i get it now, thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, he could have a story similar to Ged's from the Earthsea Quartet (have you read it?). I always imagined Ged to have tatts of some description

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey peeps! Late runner here. Been absent from the site for a while but trying to get my art into gear and what better way to do it than CHOW. Here's my entry - I'm going for a guy with some full skeletal tattoos going on! Just some mega-rough initial sketches here, quite happy with the face, think I'm going to ditch the long leather jacket in favour for a short biker job.

Last edited by Wilko; March 18th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, Jessi is entering... looks like I can't enter any more.

Few sketches I did today during work- my humanoid but non-human with some hopefully awesome gloves:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP

Still have to lay in the actual tattoos and maybe some texture.
    Name:  wip-color1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  25.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome entries by now! I already love Ithoual's sketch. And Jason, yours looks pretty promising, can't wait to see the rest of the tattoo-

Ok, here's what I got so far

My idea is to portray a mourning widow with all the veil and the lace tattooed to her body. I hope it comes out good... Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tattooed Lizard king Mobster wip 02

OMG ! the stuff ppl are doing here is amazing! Extremely impressed

I'm moving along, & trying not to invest too much time. No tattoos yet, still refining multiply and ink layers, also working on the walls and the light.
    I want some steam atmospherics as well, but that's on the wish list. Past the hump I believe I can burn a final!

whistler thx! the thumb was my inspiration. It's an old doodle from facebook graffiti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ithoual - Good so far, the left arm seems a tad too big, if he's turned 3/4 away from us it should reflect that otherwise it looks uncomfortable like he's flexing his arm from the elbow down towards the camera.

Daestwen - Since you're doing deco,why not make her hair and dress flapper style?

Update on mine,going slow (again) the lower half just looks all kinds of wrong. Disregard the background, more than likely just paint over it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

The pits of hades known as the Antelope Valley
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick update/WIP on this current image. I pulled her into photoshop. I'm playing with the idea of these very organic vines that turn into a dragon running down her thigh. Again, we shall see how this goes. ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PsycheDragon - I love the voluptuousness of your figure. I think the head might be a little small, though.
    Reymus - really dig the moody lighting so far, and I like the feel of the character. I think the upper arm may be a little short and the hand is pretty big, even accounting for some perspective.
    Obacmar - I like that you're way out on a limb concept-wise. I think the whole piece is lacking focus/depth at the moment because everything has the same shadows and the same highlights on your figure - maybe drop this one into gray scale and see if you can re-establish your lighting.
    Lady Chestnut - love lace details, I hope those come out as lovely in the final piece. Be careful about her head, though, it is leaning so far forward that it doesn't look like it is attached to her neck.
    Dave Lynch - I adore your style so much, this character is adorable. He needs some funny tattoos, I think... like an "I heart fluffy" one, or something tongue in cheek. Can't wait to see where it goes.
    Psychotrope - it would be very cool to see a futuristic take on this, especially using a non-human. I feel like the character silhouette is not all that different yet - if you're going to go out on a limb, really push it - see how you can break up the shapes and make him look more impressive. Maybe consider his story to help you describe him - where does he live? Is it a desert planet, a lush planet, a wet planet...? etc. etc. Keep rolling.
    JessiBean - you hack.
    Wilco - I love the skull face idea. You could even push the tattoo tradition that sort of thing comes from in Mexican art and the Dia de los Muertos figures - there are some awesome symbols associated with that you could incorporate.
    Jason Rainville - I love the lighting so far, and some very impressive anatomy. Watch out with such a close crop, it might not cut the 3/4 rule, and I would hate to see this piece be out on a technicality. He needs some cool scars, too (have you seen some of the artistic scarification like on BMEzine?)
    Onisan - very solid figure, I like this alot so far. Could use to push the "japanese-ness" of him, I don't read it in there yet, but I know it's also still pretty early. Keep going
    rizien - I love this pose already, it reads very strong and has a nice silhouette, but I worry about how small he is compared to the environment. I wouldn't get so wrapped up in the setting, it gets too far on the illustration side of character art, rather than showcasing the character and his personality to the viewer. A closer crop would do you well, I think.
    Ithoual - I like the pose alot, and the arm in front looks really rad. I'm not sold on the random plugs and "techno" shapes - if he is a priest, I'd like to seehis tattoos reflect his background story and his religious symbols (ie - cross :: christianity; star of david :: judiasm; crescent :: muslim; ?? :: your priest) Think about what he worships, and how you can represent that, maybe?
    Daestwen - art deco is totally for the win, and I like how you're pushing for something cheekier in her pose there. I think maybe a more 1920s looking bob hair cut (a la Louise Brooks) might help sell your theme better. Also, the hands look a little large and the torso looks a little short. Excited to see where this goes.

Time to call it a night, but wanted to post some feedback before I do... and some progress. Paintey mc painterton...

Name:  snake_tattoo_wip03.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  192.3 KB

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wish i had a little more time on this, but going away during weekend and wont have any access to a pc
    lots of promising entries, looking forward to see finals

not even sure i be home in time to put this in the finals thread later but ah well, i enjoyed it :3

and thanks for the feedback, i hope i got it a little bit better at least x)

37. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful entries so far everyone
    I decided to start over, since I was having a lot of trouble and ended up not really liking the pose. I'm keeping with the same idea, the suspension via tattoos thing. It's still pretty early on for me
    I'll be back on later to critique everyone's, but right now I'm falling asleep while typing this!

Feedback more than welcome

39. The Following User Says Thank You to majortom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jessi you're baaaaack. I luvvvv the colours on her face and belly. The greenish shadows are wicked. There's something wrong with how her coat falls on her ribcage/boob on her left though.. Looks a bit flat, dunno

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright, finally worked up the guts to participate in an online contest. I've been struggling to make progress lately, and hope that regularly doing these contests will inject a much-needed dose of discipline into my art.

I recently started a new game of Baldur's Gate, and felt that my latest incarnation of the Bhaalspawn warranted a portrait of his own, only I was too lazy to really put the effort in it >.<

He's a monk, probably with his mortal origins in Rashemen.

At this point I realize his head is probably a bit too big (I've been working it in a seperate file), but I've gotta go to work soon so I'll adjust it later. For his tattoos I was thinking one on each Chakra, and lots of tribal swooshies and swirls around those.

Criticism and advice is always welcome!

- "I delete data like you on my way to real errors."

- "Uhm, that's a little extreme, commander."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update on the pic... fixed her hands, arms, feet, bewbs... and tried to make the head a little smaller.. not sure if I did? also how is her expression now?

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3