Art: Felled and Fallen

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Felled and Fallen

Just finished this up today. My original intention was to do a simple picture...I sort of went off track a little lol. Crits and comments welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is an interesting piece. The color palette, sense depth as you look into the trees and overall rendering of everything feels very solid.

Compositionally, I think it could use a lot of work. The way the angel is positioned is very confusing to me. I really don't know what connects to what as far as anatomy is concerned or what is happening there in general. As well, the cropping of the piece as a whole feels like an afterthought.

Again, I think there are a ton of things really working well in this. They are just dragged down by some more obvious fundamental problems.

A joy to look at. Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Lunarsis.

I think at some point during the drawing I had scaled and moved her head, so the arm became a bit disjointed, and I lost site of it. I've adjusted the arm in the updated picture in this post. Her leg seems positioned correctly, but maybe I need to expose more of her body so the position reads better.

Can you explain what you mean about the cropping? It was definitely intentional the way I did it. Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorgeous drawing and rendering. You may want to address your values a bit as some really cool stuff is getting lost. Overall awesome!

Ray Lederer | Illustration | Concept Art
    http://raylederer.com | http://raylederer.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors, linework and painting is so beautiful but I can't tell WHAT is going on! After looking for a couple of minutes, I worked out that the woman has fallen down and those wings belong to her. But the top portion is a complete mystery hehe.

Really cool rendering style tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A beautiful piece, like some unholy marriage of Robert Williams and Arthur Rackham, but I too am a bit baffled by the composition. Primarily, it's the decision to almost completely hide the angel that confuses me. It's almost as if we're on the wrong side of the picture plane. If the angel was facing toward us, instead of away from us (with maybe not so many leaves) it would be much easier to see, and thus make the picture easier to understand. I've attached a 30 second sketch to show you what I mean.
    Name:  angelsketch.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  85.5 KB
    Of course, it could have been your intention to compose it that way, but if so, you're going to get a lot of people fussing over that (as you have so far) instead of thinking about the meaning of the pic.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rlederer— Thanks, I've started to lighten up some of the darker shapes so they're defined better.

Artfix—Thanks. A hot mess is my favorite kind of mess lol. I'll better clarify the angel.

NathanLong— Thanks for the sketch. I guess the problem started because the original drawing was just the arm and wing, and the rest was covered my leaves, as though she had been laying there a while. But then I decided to add to add to the image with the main devil pulling her head up by the hair (need to define that a little better). So what I'll probably end up doing is showing some more of her body through the leaves and also show part of the right shoulder and the wing going under her.

Thanks again, all. I'll post an update when I get the angel sorted out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the updated image, most of the updating was adding the angel's body., but i added some highlights in various spots etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! What a completely incredible piece of work you've created! Very very impressed!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.