Art: Werewolves

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Werewolves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Werewolves

I'm planning on doing a short video, similar in form to my Oldroid vid, which will be a werewolf transformation sequence.

I want to have a slightly different take on it to the usual 'man transforms into wolf' idea and so I've come up with the idea of the werewolf forming on the inside of the man and then bursting out.

That idea's certainly been done before, but much less than the more traditional take and I've certainly never seen a film/vid with it.

The plan is to make a series of rubber puppets to film the sequence. It's going to involve an old guy (they're more fun to sculpt) who starts convulsing and his body rippling. The camera then pushes inside him to show a werewolf embryo growing.

This is fairly ambitious when you consider the amount of puppets it might need, so I'm concentrating on the embryo first and if that goes well I'll broaden it out to do the old man and his werewolf parasite.

I'm in the very early stages and I'm trying to work out how a deformed wolf/man embryo might look!

Here're some quick sketches I'm doing before I start working on the sculpt proper.

Werewolves Werewolves

This one kinda looks abit like a demented fox and is abit too comic for my tastes - I want disturbing ;0)

Werewolves Werewolves

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by The Dark Power; May 13th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are both disturbing! This sounds like a large project. Can't wait to see it!

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi DP

This sounds like a great idea, and very ambitous but I cant wait to see this progress.

I think the bottom pics are the most disturbing,but both look good.

Cant wait to see more

Take care

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, having abit of a serious 'artists' block (I'm not an artist, but you know what I mean ;0)

More to come soon as they leak out of my head ;0)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few more, variation on a theme really. I think whenever I try and do a wolf like face it starts looking abit comic book. Might be abit more disturbing if I go with a more human looking face perhaps....

Werewolves
    WerewolvesWerewolves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Looking forward to more of your stopmotioning!

The first head kind of looks more piglike than wolflike....almost like a pig man with Down's syndrome (sorry! that's just what I thought when I looked at it!). And the second does look a bit cartoony. But that last one you posted--ugh! Extremely disturbing! I'm expecting the head to explode any second...

More! More! XD

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiangzu View Post
    Awesome! Looking forward to more of your stopmotioning!

The first head kind of looks more piglike than wolflike....almost like a pig man with Down's syndrome (sorry! that's just what I thought when I looked at it!). And the second does look a bit cartoony. But that last one you posted--ugh! Extremely disturbing! I'm expecting the head to explode any second...

More! More! XD
    Thanks dude! Glad you find them disturbing ;0) Maybe I can put an air bladder in the head so that it swells......!

Done a few more, think I'm homing in on the look; basically massive head, human face, big ear, messed up teeth ;0)

WerewolvesWerewolves

I have a few weeks off work coming up and so will be locking myself in a darkened room with a ton of clay and plaster ;0)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I cant wait to see this in motion. These are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Power View Post
    Thanks dude! Glad you find them disturbing ;0) Maybe I can put an air bladder in the head so that it swells......!
    You totally need to do that...that would be epicly disturbing.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for everyone's comments so far. The plan is going to be to do two casts of this in rubber - one full body with some articulation so it can flex and writhe about - air bladders in the head and stomach I think so that it can swell ;0)

The other cast will be just the head and upper body with some facial movement including an eye that can open and look about.

The whole thing'll be stuck in a condom with a ton of goo and blood. Wahahahaha.

Anyway, first things first, here's the sculpt. I'm doing it in chavant. I've previously made fibre glass moulds of chavant sculptures but cleaning the moulds out is a nightmare as chavant sticks to fibre glass.

I discovered quite by accident that chavant doesn't stick to plaster though so I'm going to make plaster moulds of this and then cast it in platsil as that also won't stick to plaster. Also means I don't have to gas myself using the fibre glass! Awesome ;0)

WerewolvesWerewolves

Only been working on this for 2-3 hours so this is early days still.

WerewolvesWerewolves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Werewolves
    Werewolves
    Draw inspiration. I believe the photos are appropriate material.
    Also, you are a genius. Much appreciated.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thanks dude, those'll be useful.

Here's a quick vid of the embryo sculpt. I'm also working on a 1/6 scale full body sculpt of the full grown werewolf which will be cast in rubber as a stop motion animation puppet. I'm also doing a 1/3 scale head and shoulders which'll be an articulated puppet. Pics soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here're a few more sculpts. The first will be cast as a stop motion animation puppet. I cheated slightly and poured some melted chavant into a mold from a previous puppet then modified the sculpt ;0)

WerewolvesWerewolves

The second is a 2/3 scale head. This will also be a puppet. I'm trying to do something 'different' with this, that's proving harder than I thought though as people have obviously been doing werewolves for years.

I've tried to pull the nose back towards the head but suggest 'wolfiness' by the shape of the upper lip and snout. What do people think? Does it look much like a wolf? It kinda does from some angles I think, but then also abit demonic from others. I'm trying to decide whether that matters or not! You'll have to imagine the hair that will be added at a later stage.

WerewolvesWerewolves

Last edited by The Dark Power; April 18th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That embryo is looking really disturbingly creepy.

The werewolf head reminds me somewhat of a gremlin actually. I'm liking the direction you're going with it though--there have been too many "pretty" werewolves out there, that just look like big hulking furry people with wolf heads. Maybe if you lengthened the jaws a bit it could look more wolfie, though I'm sure the addition of fur will do a lot to the appearance.

And I believe I recognize which of your previous puppets the body sculpt comes from ;D

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That embryo is looking really disturbingly creepy.

The werewolf head reminds me somewhat of a gremlin actually. I'm liking the direction you're going with it though--there have been too many "pretty" werewolves out there, that just look like big hulking furry people with wolf heads. Maybe if you lengthened the jaws a bit it could look more wolfie, though I'm sure the addition of fur will do a lot to the appearance.

And I believe I recognize which of your previous puppets the body sculpt comes from ;D
    Thanks for the feedback dude!

Yeah snap!

WerewolvesWerewolves

I've bulked it up abit though. Figured a werewolf would be abit more muscley. I've also redone the larger head sculpt, see what you reckon:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I recognized a certain devilish charm to the new wolf. If he turns even half as good as his progenitor sculpt did, the we are in for a bloody massive treat. Bloody and massive being the operative words when dealing with chest-bursting lupines.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordus View Post
    I thought I recognized a certain devilish charm to the new wolf. If he turns even half as good as his progenitor sculpt did, the we are in for a bloody massive treat. Bloody and massive being the operative words when dealing with chest-bursting lupines.
    Haha, thanks dude, yeah I'm looking forward to covering the puppets in goo and blood. Everything always looks better and more realistic with blood on it don't you find? (I'm talking in the context of puppets here you understand ;0)

Unfortunately that stage is some way off, however I've been working on the sculpts. Here's some more pics. Just waiting on my glass eyes to arrive then I can finish off the sculpts and start making molds.

1/3 scale werewolf head:
    WerewolvesWerewolves

WerewolvesWerewolvesWerewolves

1/6 scale full body for stop motion animation puppet (this one needs some more work as I don't think the head looks enough like it's larger cousin)

WerewolvesWerewolves

WerewolvesWerewolves

Werewolves

Next step is to start on the sculpt of the old dude who eventually transforms into this monstrosity. Unfortunately I've run out of chavant so will have to wait til I make the mold of the large werewolf before I can start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking nice! The head is just sufficiently wolfy enough to resemble the old school "Wolf Man" kind of werewolves while giving it a creepy new flare. The underbite is gold.

I will be watching your execution of the stop motion puppet intensely....I am eager to get into stop motion myself, but there are so little resources on it compared to other art forms that I jump on anything I can. Thanks for sharing your progress! (and in your other project with the demon as well, very useful stuff!!)

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking nice! The head is just sufficiently wolfy enough to resemble the old school "Wolf Man" kind of werewolves while giving it a creepy new flare. The underbite is gold.

I will be watching your execution of the stop motion puppet intensely....I am eager to get into stop motion myself, but there are so little resources on it compared to other art forms that I jump on anything I can. Thanks for sharing your progress! (and in your other project with the demon as well, very useful stuff!!)
    Thanks dude - I must admit I wasn't really sure where I was going with this. I think it's ended up closer to a 'classic' werewolf than I would've liked but I think I might've reached the limit of my ability at design! I wasn't too sure about the look but having stuck in a nice set of sharp teeth I think I'm beginning to warm to it now, so thanks for the comments :0)

Well for the stop mo puppet I think this one's going to have a wire armature inside rather than a ball and socket armature. The reason for that is that it's only going to be used for a few shots, but also because I had to cut my last one open several times in order to tighten up screws!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! I thought recognised that body from one of your previous works

Looks good and works really well with the werewolf head, I think you've managed to copy the larger head perfectly and I like the design.

Great job as always M8

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    Ha! I thought recognised that body from one of your previous works

Looks good and works really well with the werewolf head, I think you've managed to copy the larger head perfectly and I like the design.

Great job as always M8
    Yep it's handy to have some molds you can re-use ;0)

Thanks for the support matey ;0)

Realised I'd forgotten to update this thread for a while. I've got some decent glass eyes to include in the werewolf sculpt now here're some pics:

Werewolves

Werewolves

Werewolves

I've also started on the werewolf before he transforms which will also be a rubber puppet. Iím sculpting him up in concert with the other werewolf puppets to try and get some sort of continuity in the look of the things. Itíll eventually be a sculpt of the entire upper body, Iíve simply run out of clay at present. Iím using chavant and at £9.50 per lb it can get a little pricey if you use too much! Once Iíve cast up the werewolf sculpts Iíll have plenty free and can finish off the arms and upper body.

I'll take some better pics soon.

Werewolves

WerewolvesWerewolves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here're some further pics of the old chap before he turns into the werewolf. I'm still screwing around with this, trying to get the right look. I found I got a more agonised look by moving the eyebrows right down compared to the previous pics.

Should probably say that the teeth are not part of the final sculpture - I'll be sculpting up a seperate set to put into the final puppet.

WerewolvesWerewolves

WerewolvesWerewolves

WerewolvesWerewolves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantstic work man! those tendents by his neck are superb. The hole thing just looks groovy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Dark Power, you are a TALENT!
    oh, gosh....
    your works are fabulous! I believe the movie (you will have a final video right?)
    would struck many pros!
    I dunno if you realize how great your works are.
    Can I ask you about your feelings? Do you experience peace/joy/anxiety/ while the process?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnimation View Post
    Fantstic work man! those tendents by his neck are superb. The hole thing just looks groovy!
    Thanks! There's something about it still that I'm not quite sure about - think I might have got some of the proportions wrong somewhere. I can't quite put my finger on it though and it's bugging me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMart View Post
    The Dark Power, you are a TALENT!
    oh, gosh....
    your works are fabulous! I believe the movie (you will have a final video right?)
    would struck many pros!
    I dunno if you realize how great your works are.
    Can I ask you about your feelings? Do you experience peace/joy/anxiety/ while the process?
    Hey, wow thanks so much! Yeah there's going to be a short video once everything's done, maybe about 5 minutes or so.

As for the process, well I really enjoy the sculpting. I have a tendency to lose interest if I carry on on the same sculpture for too long and find it difficult to motivate myself. That's why there's a few sculptures in this project so I can move back and forth between them so I don't lose interest.

I have to fight my own laziness basically.

For the rest of the process - I hate making molds but it's a necessary evil when you're making this kind of puppet. I also hate casting, I really enjoy painting and detailing the final piece though, so I try and keep what the final piece will look like in my head to get through the less interesting parts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really increible project WOW! all are amazing,congratulations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The resemblance between the old man and the werewolf is spot on!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just Dang, I mean...just Dang! these are killer.I bet you are having a lot of fun, I know I would be. Please keep us posted.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Yeah, Master at work/play! Class effort Dude, really enjoying it.
    Here are some toothy critters for you. (ridiculously long address!)

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.