Thread: Dance

Thanks

Dance

anybody else here like to dance? i use to go to raves when i was around 16--learned some breakdancing (pop n lock strut type stuff) (wow--almost 10 years ago-yikes!) , then moved on to hip hop and grinding with the ladies (gyrating pelvic thrust dance hahaha)

now im taking salsa/mambo and west african dance classes that my school is offering for free.

theyre really fun, and i had forgotten how good it felt to have a physical activity in a weekly schedule. sitting in front of a comp for hours on end without any excercise can drive me crazy. dancing is a great way to relieve stress and express yourself. its really important to do activities things that counterbalance all the sitting and staring at a screen---if not depression can come knocking--or just a funky feeling thats hard to describe

what i ReAALLY want to learn is SWING DANCING----ooooh cant wait for that

anyhoo--who else dances and what styles?

ty

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I do middle eastern dance - bellydance.

Dancing is great for you - especially us folks who sit in front of computers all day long.

Sularia
    Why am I in this handbasket, and where am I going?

Thanks
    i dont dance, but i totally agree with you about the physical activity....if i didnt goto the gym everyday id prolly go crazy.

i tried to learn how to swing dance a few times, but when you have size 15 feet and youre usually 2-1/2 times bigger than the average girl...you end up stepping on em or crushing them...so that kinda stopped my swing dancing...lol

ive always wanted to learn how to break dance...but theres no one to learn from up here in alaska. :bash:
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Hehe, I'm with skank. I'm not good at dancing so I don't do it. Though I do know the eletric slide. Hehe stupid PE teachers made us learn it.

Thanks
    i thought you skated Ty?

you give it up?

-LOno

Thanks
    I suck at dancing, but I'm trying to learn on my own. I like liquid and popping styles.

I just ordered the DVD of Detours. It looks quite good.

Thanks
    lono--when i lived in williamsburg i would skate around by myself--but not many of my friends out here skate --so i would only skate by myself randomly--also in the winter time (now) you dont want to do anyhting that would add any wind to teh equation of your open skin.

but yea--skating is a fantastic activity for stress relief and expression--sometimes i wish i had grown up in cali and had just become a preofessional skater--but then again, i have a dream for every activity--including petting zoos.

mtw-that detours video looks fr fr fr freshhhhh:fruit: :dance: :jump1: :nana :jump2: :clapping1 :clapping2

Thanks
    Im known for my robot dance:beer:
    -3 processors - 2 computers - 1 man-
    Nextworks Design Studio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Originally posted by Lono
    i thought you skated Ty?

you give it up?

-Lono
    come on lono; ty-boogie

To answer the question, no I don't dance. I would if I had rythm so i definitely recognise it as a tallent. Not only does it require physical ability, but it really is an art form. If you can do and if you love it, more power to you. I agree wth everyone here that keeping yourself active is very important. I don't get out as much as i should but I certainly never back down from a game of ultimate frisbee or walley-ball (indoor volley-ball where you can play it off walls). I'm also hoping to really start taking budo-taijutzu in a serious class this summer instead of just reading training manuals and trying to learn what I can on my own.

Another thing that you might find interesting is that my lifedrawing professor from this semester starts all of his classes with Tai-Chi warm up excercises. We do a lot of breathing stuff and shoulder/back excercises. All we do with our wrists is just shake them out. It's nothing big but I've found it really does help to relieve tention and get you in a relaxed drawing mindset. Some classmates say that their long pencil strokes are smoother too.

boogie-on bro.

Thanks

Re: Dance

Originally posted by tyboogie
    now im taking salsa/mambo and west african dance classes that my school is offering for free.

what i ReAALLY want to learn is SWING DANCING----ooooh cant wait for that
    Those seem like interesting dances. I'd like to learn them as well, but I'm going to have to wait for a girl.

Anyways, this guy does some good dancing. He's got a style I'm kind of going for. I also the video clip of D-Strange here. He's got a good tutting style.

Thanks
    EXO--that tai chi thing before drawing sounds cool--ill give it a try before fig drawing next time..(probably in an empty room somewhere) hehheh

i do think its a misconception that your born with rythm--for teh most part. I think if you spend some time dancing to music youll find , with practice, its not hard to pick up on different rythms and beats and tempos, and dance accordingly. but i have met a few people in my life that made me think they just werent coordinated enough to pick it up--but for the most part, i think its like drawing--

most people can do--but it takes some repeated effort and work

Thanks
    MTW--yea thats teh kind of shit we use to do--lots of fun

that kid in the mountains was good--that scene at the end (where you can see horizon in BG) where he makes his fingers feel like snakes --that was hot

ty

Thanks
    i was a bboy for 3 years, aka breakdancer and it was some of the best times of my life, i used to compete and go to many events and shows and i used to practice with who are now the world champions of breakdancing, the massive monekys out of seattle where im from, great scene for hip hop here.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    I move my head and tap with my feet at concerts, does that count? :rock:

I do agree that excercise is important to feel good. I used to swim a long time ago, but now I just walk home from work everyday. I should go back to the swimming pool, my arms and shoulders don't get much excercise besides typing on the computer and I'm suffering from it. Dancing and ball games are out of question, I'm a complete disaster at that.

Thanks
    Haha yeah. I'm not good a team sports. I used to play soccer, but I'd always foul other kids by shoulder tackling too hard (A bunch of whiney ass babies played soccer).

Thanks
    there arent many occasions where i find joy and freedom than when dancing, its such a pure and intense experience..

i love going out party in the middle of nowhere,
    in the woods or the deserts. 200-300 ppl, beautiful nature and good music, thats all u need.
    well essentially anyway..

Thanks
    the only dancing i do involves long hair and a sore neck the next day
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Dance?...

Does DDR count?

I don't 'dance' perse, but, I play DDR as much as I can...too bad my pad is broken...but...it's okay, I live on! Physical activity is good! no matter what anyone tells you....and...uh....smoking is bad for you!

-Jibbly
    Jibran Kutik
    Graphic and Interactive Communication Major at Ringling

Thanks
    i used to swing dance a lot.. for 2 years, but my friend who i went with moved to chicago it was SO much fun, kinda silly, you could really get into it!.

man.. i got to start again *sigh*